OHM Antares Manned Spacecraft 2.51

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: famandy

Antares is a fictive manned spacecraft of Italian Space Agency, designed to perform long range and long duration space missions in Low Earth Orbit or in deep space. The Antares spacecraft is the third step in the evolution of the space capsules of the Orbiter Italia Forum. Antares can support a crew of six for long time.

Antares spacecraft versions:
Antares-LR ("Long Range" version)
Antares-SR ("Short Range" version)
Antares-RV ("Rescue Vehicle" version)

News in the version 2.51:

• Gateway A ramp documentation added
  • ALR-4 mission added
  • Countdown speaker restored
  • New feature: external power source mode
News in the version 2.5:
  • Repainted and improved virtual cockpit
  • Antares RV version fully operative
  • Totally new crew and oxygen managment
  • More realistic reentry procedure
  • New and improved functions and switches,
  • Bonus modules: “Torricelli” and “Nobile”
  • Improved capsule mesh
  • New HES-5 stage capabilities,
  • New missions
REQUIRED ADDONS:

Vinka’s Multistage2
Vinka’s Spacecraft3
(with Orbiter 2006-P1 patch, included in the package).
Orbiter 2010-P1 requires the “stage.dll” patch (included in the package).
http://users.swing.be/vi nka/

Jarvis Heavy Launch Vehicle, version 2.51 or higher, by Forum Orbiter Italia
http: //www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4527

Universal MMU 2.0 by dansteph.
http: //www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3890

For certain scenarios, the following add-ons are required:
ASVI base - Capo Passero 1.0 or higher, by Forum Orbiter Italia
http: //www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5172

Neptune Medium Launch Vehicle 2.0 or higher by Forum Orbiter Italia
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4693

OBSOLETE ADDON:
 Aurora Launch Platform v3.0 by Forum Orbiter Italia

Antares new video trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHT_UNZWyc4

DOWNLOAD

Wonderer

Reaction score
Lovely addon,but I find it lacking UMMU.Is there any chance that a future version will support UMMU? :cheers:
Oh and both links lead to Jarvis HLV,but none to the expansion pack.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
My Italian is very limited but I think I'm close... Ringraziarla Orbiter Italiano!
Or it just plain grazie more correct? Either way, it's yet another most excellent release from our Italian friends!

Wonderer

Reaction score
A few bugs, all of these occured to me on a modified orbiter 2010 installation:
1.Is it just me or is the autopilot for putting Antares SR launching from Aurora launch plat. isn't working?I mean I tried it three times and all three times meco occured below 90k.(I haven't tested the autopilots for other scenarios)
2.After jetisoning the capsule of Antares Lr the solar panels screw up,I'll post a screenshot if needed.
3.The capsule reentry is realy wierd.It almost doesn't slow down even at low altitudes.I'm still doing above 1500 m/s at 3k,if you don't deploy parachutes the capsule doesn't slow down enough, and if you deploy parachutes at these speeds the capsule starts to spin ucontrolably and you hit the ground :(

K_Jameson

Reaction score
A few bugs, all of these occured to me on a modified orbiter 2010 installation:
1.Is it just me or is the autopilot for putting Antares SR launching from Aurora launch plat. isn't working?I mean I tried it three times and all three times meco occured below 90k.(I haven't tested the autopilots for other scenarios)
uhm.
The Jarvis-L/Antares SR should have enough power to reach LEO with comfortable margin (around 5-7% of fuel in the second stage of the rocket).
The Aurora Platform launch procedure is quite difficult; if you lose too much time in the various steps (select Jarvis; press P; select bloc; press J to release), the launcher consume too much propellants before the liftoff, with high risk of an unsuccessful launch.
Try the launch from Cape Canaveral, which is much more simple!
And, more important, don't use the time acceleration during the autopilot!

2.After jetisoning the capsule of Antares Lr the solar panels screw up,I'll post a screenshot if needed.
Is needed the installation of the 2006-P1 version of the Spacecraft module. It's in the package in the "Extras" folder. Read the documentation! ;)

3.The capsule reentry is realy wierd.It almost doesn't slow down even at low altitudes.I'm still doing above 1500 m/s at 3k,if you don't deploy parachutes the capsule doesn't slow down enough, and if you deploy parachutes at these speeds the capsule starts to spin ucontrolably and you hit the ground :

really strange. the capsule should pass at subsonic velocity at some 2000/3000 meters. And, altough isn't realistic, you can deploy the chutes even at supersonic velocity without problems. Read carefully the documentation at the paragraph "reentry procedures", try again and let me know the results.

Last edited:

Ark

Reaction score
Is the mesh for the launch abort system included with the Antares or with the launcher? I'm trying to construct a basic Velcro system to launch it.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Is the mesh for the launch abort system included with the Antares or with the launcher? I'm trying to construct a basic Velcro system to launch it.

With the Antares. The Jarvis basic package includes only the unmanned versions of the launcher. ;)

Lunar_Lander

Reaction score
I have also noticed that the capsule hardly slows down at 70 km (flames only start at about 50 km, which is strange to me), real braking occurs at 30 km, just in time to be slow enough for the chutes at 2000 m.

I noticed that pressing Shift-1 for the aerodynamic surfaces or Shift-3 for collapsing the chutes doesn't work (neither with the numbers on the main keyboard or the numpad). Why is that?

K_Jameson

Reaction score
I have also noticed that the capsule hardly slows down at 70 km (flames only start at about 50 km, which is strange to me), real braking occurs at 30 km, just in time to be slow enough for the chutes at 2000 m.
Yes, the capsule don't slow effectively at high altitudes. But... it works, nope? :thumbup:

I noticed that pressing Shift-1 for the aerodynamic surfaces or Shift-3 for collapsing the chutes doesn't work (neither with the numbers on the main keyboard or the numpad). Why is that?

This is strange. All the animations works. Bloc-num key not active?

K_Jameson

Reaction score
I'm thinking about this: Could you try to put UMMU support?

This is matter of discussion in the team, along with the implementation of a fully functional Canadarm in the Long-Range version of the spacecraft.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
I really like this vessel, nice mesh and stuff. I performed succesful launch from Aurora platform onto 500km-equatorial orbit, docked it with Kulch's MIR-2, then undocked it and tried reentry procedure. Well, reentry ended up succesful too, I just wanted to clear up two things:

1) It is said in manual to place capsule in retrograde position for reentry and to use RCS to control descend trajectory at this stage. Well I've found it quite impossible to do since right under 100 km it was turned by air drag almost into orbit-normal position even though RetrogradeAP was enabled. Is it how it was supposed to be? It was my first ballistic reentry after all...

2) Shift-1 did opened the aerodynamic surfaces, but does it really works or is it just cosmetics?

Maarten

Reaction score
How do you go to the moon and to Mars with the Antares? The scenarios are all for going to the ISS and the delta V for the SM + CM of the long range vehicle is not enough to even reach the moon (2,406.02 m/sec).

K_Jameson

Reaction score
How do you go to the moon and to Mars with the Antares? The scenarios are all for going to the ISS and the delta V for the SM + CM of the long range vehicle is not enough to even reach the moon (2,406.02 m/sec).

The package has only LEO scenarios and launchers, because the mission profiles for Moon missions are not yet defined. The Antares Block II will come with a dedicated launcher for Moon circumlunar flights. And in the new year, a lunar lander for six astronauts and a lunar exploration scenario will be realized (maybe).

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

1) It is said in manual to place capsule in retrograde position for reentry and to use RCS to control descend trajectory at this stage. Well I've found it quite impossible to do since right under 100 km it was turned by air drag almost into orbit-normal position even though RetrogradeAP was enabled. Is it how it was supposed to be? It was my first ballistic reentry after all...
Is not very clear. Can you post a screenshot?

2) Shift-1 did opened the aerodynamic surfaces, but does it really works or is it just cosmetics?

Just cosmetics. But the aerodinamic control of the descent work well! Turn the RCS on "OFF" ad control the descent with these!

Last edited:

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
I've just completed a moon fly-by trip using Kulch's Smerch as a first-stage booster for your Antares-LR vessel. It was a complete success. My second ballistic reentry was a way better then the first one, without any 'lost control' situations and stuff, even though my periapsis speed was something like 10600 m/s. By the way, I hope the Anatres capsule is able to stay in one piece under DNP of 360 kPa :)