Question Any reentry AP?

AlphAPollo

Reaction score
Hey i was wandering if anybody can redirect me to an easy-to-configure MFD, which you can set in:
-your target base and runway
-the desired reentry AOA
-it should be with start/stop button
-TGT button
-NT button
-SPD button-opens up a dialog window-you insert the desired reentry speed in MPH
-RWY button-again opens up a dialog box, in this one you set the desired runway(the display will show available runways and pads, if any)
and somne other stuff-but easy to configure!!!!!!
thank you in advance.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
AFAIK, there is no "re-entryMFD", but there are some tools that you can use:

BaseSyncMFD
AerobrakeMFD

Those two, when used in conjunction with each other, will allow you to land right on your base. The DGIV has a "re-entry Autopilot", which just holds the AoA for you. One of the above MFD's also has that feature, although I forget which.

Hope this helps!

AlphAPollo

Reaction score
i had a few reentry help utilities, but theyre all suckish.
i'll try to use these suggestions, if any body can build one for me according to the specs listed above, it would be great.
(P.S. escuse me for all the questions, im a 12.5 years old begginer ;-))

Epsilon

Interplanetary Road Pizza
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
If I could make a suggestion - try using an XR2 with aerobrake. Put it on easy settings and all that if you want, but between the attitude hold autopilot on the XR2 and the target on Aerobrake, it'll get you down on target. Now here's the bonus - if you can do it with those two tools, it'll give you a feel for re-entry in general. Just get it down in one piece to start with, and then afterwards try getting it on target.

And good luck. In my opinion, a "proper" re-entry is probably one of the harder things to do all around.

... hmm. I'm going to try a re-entry with nothing but mapMFD now, just for giggles. :D

I just failed. D:

AlphAPollo

Reaction score
i do have the XR2, but when i use the hold altitude autopilot the XR just keeps rising instead of 'sinking' towards earth

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
What do you mean just keeps rising? Is your altitude rising?

Epsilon

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
i do have the XR2, but when i use the hold altitude autopilot the XR just keeps rising instead of 'sinking' towards earth

xD

If you're using "Hold altitude", you're doing it wrong. ;)

I'm assuming you mean "hold attitude". You need to change the attitude hold mode from Pitch to AoA by tapping 9 on the number pad. The XR2's maximum lift is at 15 degrees AoA. As you go above that, you get less lift and more drag, which means more slowing down. As your AoA goes below 15 degrees, you'll get less lift and (relatively speaking) less drag.

Keep in mind that you've got to kind of balance the amount of drag you're getting with the amount of lift you're generating. Typically, when you're going from about 7km/s to 3km/s (ideally around 70km altitude), you've got your peak heating, and you don't want to drop faster than about 60-100m/s.Slower than that, and you're probably not producing enough drag to slow down (relatively) quickly. Faster than that, and you're sinking into the thick bits of the atmosphere too quickly. As much as I love the XR2 for not being a fragile piece of glass (unlike -some- four-lettered ships I know... :p), it's really easy to overheat it if you're not paying attention to your sink rate.
I still haven't figured out an ideal distance to start dipping down into aerodynamic flight with an XR2 - that's what Aerobrake is for, though. Usually, I'm kicking around at 30km (which is low enough that if you're going 3km/s, you've got enough air moving over the wings to use control surfaces), and usually about 250-500km out. Remember, it's probably better to approach with a bit too much speed (in which case you can open your airbrakes to slow down) than to approach with not enough speed and no fuel. :D

(Hope this rambling helped. I'm going to eat now. :cheers:)

AlphAPollo

Reaction score
i think it helped me..... P.S. i downloaded the two MFDs listed above, but when it all comes to MFDs, im lame!!!!!! (XD) in fact, im so lame, that i dont want to open a MFD if its not an autopilot.....
P.S. bon apetit:)

Epsilon

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
If you don't want to open an MFD if it's not an autopilot, you're not going to go far in Orbiter. ;)
That being said, glad I helped. My problem overall is that I do things very much "off the cuff". None of my re-entries are the same, though they all tend to be similar. Most of the time when re-entering, I've got SurfaceMFD and MapMFD open, and that's it. Aerobrake's a nice tool when I'm trying to pinpoint, but nowadays with MapMFD, I can -typically- get within a couple hundred km of the base. One of these days, I'll do another "handy" video (as ReFuel calls 'em) describing some re-entry stuff. Mebbe it'll help out. <_<

AlphAPollo

Reaction score
well, i do have the auto FCS, but i don't know how to activate it, and i dont like to open a MFD unless it's an AP because i don't have stick & pedals so i need to wait till i have enaugh money to buy them, then it will be more comfortable for me to fly without an AP.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
I have a joystick, and I only use it for atmospheric flight, and even then, during Orbit Insertion (from takeoff), I use the numpad for the final stages. If I got used to it, I could use the numpad for everything no problem. Joystick is just to...sloppy for those precise docking maneuvers.

If you don't want to fly without an autopilot, thats your choice. But I think it would benefit you more if you just did a basic Orbit Insertion without it.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
I reentered once with the XR5, but only because I was close to the base. I tried it later with the XR2, but I started overheating during the most dangerous part of entry interface. I couldn't deploy the radiators, I was screwed. I should really plan them out more carefully next time.
P.S. I found out that the shuttle has a special water cooling system that prevents overheating during reentry and landing. Why don't we have something like this for the XR series?

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
well, i do have the auto FCS, but i don't know how to activate it, and i dont like to open a MFD unless it's an AP because i don't have stick & pedals so i need to wait till i have enaugh money to buy them, then it will be more comfortable for me to fly without an AP.

This tutorial shows you how AutoFCS works

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3988"]Tutorial: Space shuttle from KSC to ISS and back[/ame]​

AlphAPollo

Reaction score
i tried a reentry with the vanguard to be familiar with the procces, and at about 60 km altitude, my hull heated to 70 degrees celcius. i pitched up and down to get more airflow under the hull to cool it, but instead of cooling, my hull kept heating, and i started to climb. what the heck do i do in purpose of not overheating?
hope youll answer me soon.