Request Any SLS and Orion MPCV in development?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
yes got them.

Here is a new tower. Basically all arms but vertical extend. I know it is NOT like the real one. I am sure both towers need beacons but not sure where to place them?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71242599/slstower2.1.zip

---------- Post added at 05:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 AM ----------

On the SLS booster pb.

I made the thrust:MaxMainThrust = 36000000

and I get lift off. BUT the whole tower moves. I guess I need more mass to the tower.

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey John I would just look at the SaturnV launch tower to get an idea of where the strobes,and beacons go,and the location of the Lightning towers,The SLS is located at 39B where the shuttle use to launch,so you could take a look at that,and get some ideas too.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Lightning towers are not an issue as they are just vessels/meshes. But in reality the launch platform should be on a hill.

I think someone could take a mesh from a another add-on and add that part. Then attach the tower to it.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Lightning towers are not an issue as they are just vessels/meshes. But in reality the launch platform should be on a hill.

I think someone could take a mesh from a another add-on and add that part. Then attach the tower to it.

Yeah, you could also check out my video. Go to this link, and at the bottom, there is the EFT-1 launch video. At the second half of the video, there is video of the SLS tower, and I believe that it has strobes activated on it.

http://www.gmfilm.blogspot.com/p/behind-scenes.html

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score

There is a bare enough pad in [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1373"]this addon[/ame], with the pad itself being separate from the tower, so it should be easy to use here. As far making the tower sit right on the pad goes, I think raising the tower up higher would be better than using attachment points.

A far as this Pyrios booster goes, I haven't found any solid looking info on masses or the like, and my math isn't up to the challenge of figuring out the specs working backwards from quoted figures. Sorry:shrug:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. If the whole tower is raised when not in use with this/that raised pad. It would be raised. But with attachment then one need to attach to the base/pad.

On SKYLAB II: I think this is best for airlock/docking. I can animate the docking fingers down so for launch they will not stick out.

SKYLAB2AIRLOCK_zpsc32b9a7d.jpg
So there would be 5 docks. The sketches I have seen put the airlocks aft of the Centerline.

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey John I found some bugs with tower2, 1.The OSMU moves when using the verticle stabler,and the verticle stabler moves when using the OSMU, 2.the CSI moves up,and down much slower than the rest of the arms.

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey John why don't you make it so you could raise,or lower the whole launch tower,with the controls that way you could easily set your height up for different launch mounds.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe. I guess I could change the touchdown points. That way the whole mesh moves.

Besides the issues listed before. Did the arms extend ok, enough.

Not sure on the mesh of the launchpad what needs to be removed/ updated. I guess I can lightning towers.

Interceptor

Reaction score
Maybe. I guess I could change the touchdown points. That way the whole mesh moves.

Besides the issues listed before. Did the arms extend ok, enough.

Not sure on the mesh of the launchpad what needs to be removed/ updated. I guess I can lightning towers.
Yes the arms extended fine.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Hey, I haven't been following the tower talk that much, but I have a SLS question. There is this sleek looking station called Starlab that is on this obriter thread (http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=34908), and I thought that first of all, it looked like the habitat that NASA has in it's videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMQw8u4Ys0c&list=PLiuUQ9asub3Qq1AQRirDI-naOwo1H5gaB&index=1), and I also thought that it would be able to sustain a crew for the mission to Mars. Does it fit in SLS Block II Cargo?

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
Hey, I haven't been following the tower talk that much, but I have a SLS question. There is this sleek looking station called Starlab that is on this obriter thread (http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=34908),...

snip

Does it fit in SLS Block II Cargo?

Well, the more capable versions of SLS might be able to put ~120-130mt into LEO. The Starlab is said to mass at 160mt, the simple answer would seem to be no, but since there is 50mt of water(for shielding) that could be offloaded for launch and filled on-orbit, mass-wise the answer seems to be yes. There would need to be a new fairing though, which would have to wider than the SLS itself; it's not impossible to make one, but in real life it would mean all sorts of testing to flight qualify one, from aerodynamics to control authority tests to name two. I'd say it's plausible enough to try though.

cymrych

The Probe abides
Donator
Reaction score
On the PG boosters. This is what I get. But when I launch no lift?
SLSPBBOOSTERS_zps0e914b6d.jpg

Code:
; === Configuration file for vessel class Generic CVEL stage (Jasonbooster) ===

Module = Velcro
Meshname = SLSBOOSTER1PB
Size = 12.0

Mass = 103700 ; empty mass [kg]
MaxFuel =626100  ; max fuel mass [kg]
Isp = 2638        ; fuel specific impulse [m/s]
IspSL = 2325

MaxMainThrust = 3600000
MaxRetroThrust = 0
MaxHoverThrust = 0
MaxAttitudeThrust = 3778
COG_OverGround = 4.0
CameraOffset = 0.0 0.0 18.85
CW = .2 .3 .7 .7
LiftFactor = 0.0
CrossSections = 205 205 15
RotResistance = 0.7 0.7 0.3
Touchdownpoints = 0 4.4 -18.98  4.4 0 -18.98  -4.4 0 -18.98

Mayfly = 60.0

; === Attachment specs ===
BEGIN_ATTACHMENT
P  -2.441 0 10     0 1 0  0 0 1  VELCRO1
C  0.000 -2.633 -0.107      0 -1 0  0 0 1  VELCRO2
P  0.0 0.0 13.96     0 0 1  0 1 0  VELCRO3
P  0.000 -2.633 -0.107      0 -1 0  0 0 1  VELCRO4
END_ATTACHMENT

; === Engine reference points ===
ExhaustType = SRM
MEngineRef1 = 0.0 -1.826 0
MEngineRef2 = 0.0 1.826 0
;MEngineRef3 = -0.834 -0.834 -10.6
;MEngineRef4 = 0.834 -0.834 -10.6

Hey gattis, those boosters look great!

The No-Joy lift off is the main thrust. Think you forgot to covert from lbf to newtons. It should be 16MN. You have 3.6MN, which clearly ain't enough to lift this beastie!

I've been tinkering with a config for the new boosters, to adjust from the ATK solid motor baseline to this liquid tanked design. I figure, the over-all thrust per booster is going to be the same as the 5-segment SRM, so the additional lift capability claimed by Dynamics/Rocketdyne must be coming from a combination of longer burn time (much larger fuel mass on board) and lighter construction components. It's still in alpha stage, but I'll PM it to you in a day or 2, if RW work doesn't get in the way.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. Here is the tower at LP39. I am using Kev's base as a vessel and placed it correctly. On the tower I have added a change touchdown points. So one can raise and lower the tower as needed.

slstower2pad39_zps94531a9c.jpg

I can removed those light towers if needed. Throw in 3 lightning towers?

I added white beacons

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On the lights, Should I add attachments and add spotlights? Or just lit the tower mesh?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
If you add spotlights, can you have some method to toggle all of them on and off at the same time, maybe as a button on the tower dialog box?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you add spotlights, can you have some method to toggle all of them on and off at the same time, maybe as a button on the tower dialog box?

No. The reason the base and the tower are 2 different vessels. I can add 4 spotlights and a key on/off for all of them. I can aim them at the tower. Of course they will not be aimable. But maybe I will make a window to turn on/off lights and aim?