Anyone do Physics at University/College/Whatever your country calls it?

pandadude

Aussie Orbinaut
Reaction score
If you do, what is it like (I know there are different aspects of physics, but in general how is it?).

Reason I ask is I'm at Uni atm, doing an Arts-type course. I don't really like it. I'm quite interested in physics, but I'm not very good at it. A rare combination I'm sure.

So what is it like? Is it difficult? Is it interesting?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When I went to college in the 90s, I went to a large university that had satellite campuses around the state, where most students spent their first year or two. The campus I attended has very small physics classes. My second year physics class was only 7 students. The professor was a dedicated teacher and was not there to do research or anything. I got very high grades.

When I got to the main campus my third year, it was different. My physics 3 class was well over a hundred students in a large auditorium and a professor whose primary goal was research. He didn't have much time for individual students. Our teaching assistant was a graduate student from China who basically hated us and was just doing this to get his graduate degree. He was an a-hole who didn't want to be bothered with helping "lazy American slacker students". The tests were rediculous 20-question multiple choice things. My grades suffered accordingly.

Bottom line: smaller classes = better learning experience.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm studying natural sciences and mathematics. I'm in my first year right now, and the main focus is on physics and chemistry.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Part of my degree was physics. I can't add much more to what's already been said, but make sure that you really do want to do it before you start. Physics is one of the hardest subjects at university and if you aren't 100% committed you won't succeed at it, so think very carefully before you sign up for it.
Best of luck :)

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If you do, what is it like (I know there are different aspects of physics, but in general how is it?).

Reason I ask is I'm at Uni atm, doing an Arts-type course. I don't really like it. I'm quite interested in physics, but I'm not very good at it. A rare combination I'm sure.

I had a friend in the same situation. He wasn't up to Physics with Calculus, but at my school we had a class called "Physics for Poets" which taught the ideas without forcing the students to do the math. I suppose it must have been more of a history of science class.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Bottom line: smaller classes = better learning experience.
I've been in small classes where the professor was not too interested in either the subject or the students and as a consequence there was not much learning going on. On the flip side, I've been in large classes with very good professors and the learning was much better. Funny thing about humans - we find it much easier to get engaged with a subject if someone else is passionate about it.

@pandadude: Choose subjects you are interested in and it will make your life much more enjoyable. My grades got better in the final two years of my four year engineering degree simply because the subjects were more interesting. Physics was part of that degree, and like simonpro says, it was hard. One difficulty was that I found that it required a level of abstract thinking that the engineering subjects didn't require. The engineering subjects also had more lab time :speakcool:. I'm not trying to convert you to engineering, just sharing my experiences ;)

pandadude

Aussie Orbinaut
Reaction score
I had a friend in the same situation. He wasn't up to Physics with Calculus, but at my school we had a class called "Physics for Poets" which taught the ideas without forcing the students to do the math. I suppose it must have been more of a history of science class.

That's the kind of thing I'd be interested in. I'm interested in the theories of physics, but not so much calculations.

Example: I'm interested in learning what it takes to achieve an orbit in space, but I'm not so interested in working out with a pen and paper the amount of energy you need to achieve it.

Unfortunately, I don't think such a course exists where I go, although maybe I can pick something up as a unit of study in my current course - so it wouldn't be my main focus, but at least it would be a smaller part of what I'm already doing.

Thanks for the advice guys - from what has been said, I feel like I'm not really in a position to go out and do a full-on physics course [and succeed].

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Pandadude, I might only be 16 by the skin of my teeth, and probably wouldn't be giving this advice to you if we were talking face-to-face (don't you just love the internet?), but anyway. Talk to the physics professors. They will help you out. Tell them your position, because they only want the best for you, I'm sure. They will give you advice, test your abilities, and so on.

Good luck, old bean!

EDIT: Whoa, fast post. Panda, all it really is is just a bunch of formulas, inputting the numbers, getting the outputs. At least, it is as far as I know. Were you any good at maths during high school?

pandadude

Aussie Orbinaut
Reaction score
@tblaxland, thanks for those links. I'm already going to Syndey Uni so that will help a lot. Hopefully I will be able to fit something there into my current course (Socio-Legal Studies = Legal Studies (not law, its much easier) + Arts courses, the only one of which I want to do is history). Hopefully instead of just making up the rest of my units with boring and pointless subjects like philosophy and sociology (as I'm doing now), I can do something more interesting.

Thanks again for the links.

@James, I wasn't bad at Maths, neither was I good. I don't know if it's the same in VIC, but here there's general maths, advanced, extension, extension 2. I did advanced and just scraped through. I have a feeling that isn't really good enough - anyway, maths was never a favourite of mine. Like I said, I'd prefer to just learn the theories of physics. Back in year 8, I found I was quite good at it. I grasped the idea of things like orbits being really long falls quicker than pretty much everyone else. Unfortunately, once maths started coming into it, I started doing worse.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm studying natural sciences and mathematics. I'm in my first year right now, and the main focus is on physics and chemistry.
Ba gdje si bolan, fino je vidjeti nekog iz bosne ovdje!

@others: sorry for ot! :sorry:

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I almost finished my MSc Applied Physics :graduate:. Still have to write most of my thesis though :whistle:

You have to know that mathematics is the language of physics. If you're not willing to spend lots of time on formulas, then it's probably not a good idea to try to become a physicist. But maybe there are smaller courses that won't give you a degree, but that give you access to all the interesting parts without bothering you with all the math.

Having said that, I have to add that IMO a lot of the interesting stuff is in the formulas. For instance, if you have two balls with equal density, you can see from the math that the bigger one will fall faster. Why? Mass (and hence gravity force: Fg=m*g) is proportional to the volume, which is proportional to the third power of the radius of the ball: m = rho * (4/3) * pi * r^3. But the drag force is proportional to the surface, which is proportional to the square of the radius: Fd = constant * v^2 * r^2. So, when you keep increasing the radius, the gravity force will increase faster than the drag force. When decreasing the radius, gravity will decrease faster than drag. So, for large balls, the net acceleration and the terminal velocity will be more in favor of gravity. For small balls, drag will have more effect.

In the more complicated formulas the understanding may be lost, but the core formulas of physics are usually very simple: take E=mc^2 for instance. Then, the key to understanding is learning to deal with the high level of abstraction. In some parts of physics (e.g. quantummechanics) you have to learn to deal with objects that have seemingly nothing to do with daily life physics (so you have to learn to ignore your daily-life intuition somewhat). Then you have to build up a new familiarity with these new objects, get some intuition about their behavior, and find the link between those objects and the real-life physical reality.

bujin

Reaction score
I wasn't bad at Maths, neither was I good.

If it's any help, I was in the same sort of category, but still managed to get through a degree in astrophysics. I was never particularly bad at maths, but I didn't exactly get "good" grades - C at GCSE level and D at A-level.

In fact, when I told the university that I got a D at A level, they were reluctant to actually accept me onto the course, but I got on anyway.

There is usually a lot of maths in physics - you cannot hope to understand some of the theories without being able to do maths, but as long as you have a logical brain, you will pick it up.

The thing with maths is that it is like most other things, you need to practise to get good at it. You learn something new in class, and the best thing to do is to just do as many examples as you can until it becomes second nature.

Unfortunately, it's been just over 10 years now since I finished my degree, and I have rarely revisited physics since, so pretty much everything I learned has now been lost somewhere in the mists of my brain! :lol:

EDIT:

Oh, and:

So what is it like? Is it difficult?

Yes. I don't think this can be sugar-coated. Physics is a difficult subject. But heck, if *I* can do it, I'm sure anyone can!

Is it interesting?

Absolutely!

At least, most of it is. There were parts I hated and parts I liked, but that's all subjective. I hated thermodynamics, for example. Others may like that.

bujin

Reaction score
When you throw a ball into a basket, you are doing physics.
Is it hard?

By that rationale, you are doing physics 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

Unfortunately, university level physics is a bit more difficult than throwing balls into baskets... ;)

:cheers: ( <-- plenty of that going on at university though... :dry: )

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Radio sam u travniku par godina, a planiram da se tamo vratim s ženom. Inače sam rođeni švicarac, tako da mi je prilićno teško čitati čirilski ;)

ali ima najbolju muzičku prodavnicu u banjoj luci :cheers:

legios

Reaction score
I loved physics I. It was sometimes difficult, but it always made sense in my head.

I hated physics II. Physics II was mostly electromagnetic wave and electricity. I had a hard time visualizing it. For me, I just had to brute strength remember the equations and when to use which equation for which type of problem

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score

Depends on what aspect of physics you are interested in - physics is a very broad topic.

I started out as a physics major, but switched to mechanical engineering (bachelors, masters, and Ph.D.) simply because I wanted to build and do something tangible and practical (i.e. more nuts and bolts, fewer hadrons). I'm not saying that physics is impractical, but it is a pure science, whereas engineering is the application of physical principles to a practical end. You can't have one without the other.

My focus was on heat transfer and fluids - I went into college hating math and left it taking all of the harder math options needed for the study of fluids. I took a shine to math (non-linear maths, chaos, etc.) when I finally saw that it was the practical language needed to describe the universe.