Aperture Aerospace

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
I had an idea for a virtual Orbiter company. I noticed there are a lot of virtual aerospace companies for Orbiter, and I remembered this company from the Half Life universe called Aperture Science. They certainly seem to have a lot of funding, and some very clever people (they have portal technology and a supercomputer smarter than the people who built it, and this is in the late 90s). So I thought, what would happen if they started developing flight/space technology? I am thinking of repainting several vehicles from Orbiter, like Atlantis and the XR2 with this logo theme. Of course, once I figure out how to do repaints.

Attachments

• aperture.jpg
    aperture.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 16

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I had an idea for a virtual Orbiter company. I noticed there are a lot of virtual aerospace companies for Orbiter, and I remembered this company from the Half Life universe called Aperture Science. They certainly seem to have a lot of funding, and some very clever people (they have portal technology and a supercomputer smarter than the people who built it, and this is in the late 90s). So I thought, what would happen if they started developing flight/space technology? I am thinking of repainting several vehicles from Orbiter, like Atlantis and the XR2 with this logo theme. Of course, once I figure out how to do repaints.

Sounds interesting.
Maybe you should check if it is okay to use material from Half Life.
Repaints are easy once you get the hang of it, I suggest you check out Gimp and it's .dds plugin, both free.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Sounds interesting.
Maybe you should check if it is okay to use material from Half Life.
Repaints are easy once you get the hang of it, I suggest you check out Gimp and it's .dds plugin, both free.
Well, I'm not going to be making money off it, so they shouldn't mind. Plus, I will give credit. And also, I have tried Gimp, but it was just too complicated:huh:
Would paint.net work?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, I'm not going to be making money off it, so they shouldn't mind. Plus, I will give credit. And also, I have tried Gimp, but it was just too complicated:huh:
Would paint.net work?

Not making money off things doesn't always mean it's okay. For example, JMarcure's Firefly wasn't making him any money, but it still had issues (due to the Blue Sun logo iirc).

Also, how many virtual airlines are you up to, now?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And also, I have tried Gimp, but it was just too complicated:huh:
Would paint.net work?

I cannot get around GIMP too much either, yet I've done stuff with it I had't dreamed about in MS paint.

I've never heard of paint.net, so I wouldn't be sure.

I think a digital tablet/pad device would be good for drawing, etc.
Been wanting one for years, but I think they are pretty expensive.

EDIT:
I gave up on Virtual Airlines. No one would join them, anyway.

Which Virtual Airlines, where?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What about virtual spacelines?
No one has started any of those.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
yes they have lots of people have and paint.net is good for repaints

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Thanks, woo482! It's working great so far! Just one question. How do I create a plain white box, so I can erase the existing decals?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
yes they have lots of people have

Do you mean Virtual Space Agencies?

How do I create a plain white box, so I can erase the existing decals?

It'll be easier if you paint over the existing decals, using the previous textures as a guide.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
I can't find, or get, that shade of white that I'm painting over. It's like this mixture of White and Gray.

-----Post Added-----

Uh oh. When I tried to load the scenario, Atlantis has all gray textures. What did I do wrong?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
send me the textures I will have a look at them for you

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
I can't attatch them, it's a .dds file. Maybe it has something to do with the way I saved it?

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
I can't open it in paint.net. Looks like I screwed up the file. Now i have to reinstall Orbiter >.<

-----Post Added-----

How did you convert to .dds?
I just put .dds at the end of the file name. It worked, because it has the .dds icon on it. It's just got something wrong with the file.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can't open it in paint.net. Looks like I screwed up the file. Now i have to reinstall Orbiter >.<

Firstly, never develop addons on you primary Orbiter installation.
Secondly, do you not have a backup texture file somewhere?

I just put .dds at the end of the file name. It worked, because it has the .dds icon on it. It's just got something wrong with the file.

No. That will not work at all.
You can use the dxtex utility in the utils folder of you Orbiter installation to convert to .dds.
And you can open .dds files with the GIMP plugin, best to open up MGAtlantis.dds in GIMP with the plugin, save a .bmp, work on it in paint.net, and convert to .dds with dxtex.exe

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
ok remake the texture then save it as .JPEG then (using rapidshare) send the file to me and I will make it work with orbiter

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Firstly, never develop addons on you primary Orbiter installation.
Secondly, do you not have a backup texture file somewhere?

No. That will not work at all.
You can use the dxtex utility in the utils folder of you Orbiter installation to convert to .dds.
And you can open .dds files with the GIMP plugin, best to open up MGAtlantis.dds in GIMP with the plugin, save a .bmp, work on it in paint.net, and convert to .dds with dxtex.exe
I'll try it. Thanks.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, you can (I think) upload any file if it has been compressed in a .zip format.