Aperture Aerospace

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
yes you can I was just saying that site just in case he only wanted to send me it over PM because you cannot send attachments in a PM

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds interesting.
Maybe you should check if it is okay to use material from Half Life.
Repaints are easy once you get the hang of it, I suggest you check out Gimp and it's .dds plugin, both free.
HL material is used all over the place. :p But anyways, I'm pretty sure that the Aperture logo is not copyrighted or anything. It's not the game logo or anything.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Ok, so, how do I use this DireckX thing? I saved my repaint as a .bmp, and it works fine, now how do I convert it to .dds?

-----Post Added-----

Never mind, I figured it out. Textures now work! I JUST MADE MY FIRST ORBITER MOD!!

-----Post Added-----

Just put it up on Orbithanger. Waiting for approval.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
HL material is used all over the place. :p But anyways, I'm pretty sure that the Aperture logo is not copyrighted or anything. It's not the game logo or anything.
Copyright is automatic, you do not need to apply or register for it (in most countries anyway), unlike trademarks. Some quick Googling indicates that the copyright would belong to the game developers/publishers: Valve Corporation and/or Microsoft Game Studios (unless they have transferred it to someone else in the meantime).

Well, I'm not going to be making money off it, so they shouldn't mind. Plus, I will give credit.
They might mind, or might not. You don't know, so ask them, or ask a lawyer if you don't want to ask them. IMHO, I doubt your Aperture Aerospace work contains enough tranformativeness to extinguish derivative work liability. The rules differ from country to country so I suggest you do your own research. I strongly recommend against not doing the research and just assuming that it will be OK if you give credit.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
Yeah. Well, I already sent them an email questioning the copyrights, so we'll just see if this repaints will or won't send be to jail for 5 years, lol.

-----Post Added-----

Alright, now to work on a promotional video...

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Never mind, I figured it out. Textures now work! I JUST MADE MY FIRST ORBITER MOD!!

Ah, that warm fuzzy feeling when things work. :speakcool:

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score

Would this make you want to join?[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Ls0iGNoBU&fmt=18"][/ame]

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice vid, Pilot7893.
Just another note, Atlantis (I'm assuming you're using the default one)
is not reskinnable, so any new textures will overwrite the old ones.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
I know. I intend to use the Atlantis for Aperture research only. Now all we need is for someone to make Black Mesa Aerospace!:lol:

-----Post Added-----

I'm having trouble with my next repaint. XR5B worked fine, but XR5T is weird. I managed to get XR5B working by putting it into DirectX as corrupt .dds, and exporting it as working. But when I try to do the same with XR5T, is says "Unexpected file format". What do I do?

-----Post Added-----

XR5 is up and running!