NASSP apollo 11 mcc

astronauthen96

Reaction score
hi im flying the apollo 11 mcc mission in v.8 in orbiter 2016 and i am not getting any pad updates from mission control am i doing something wrong or is this not a feature yet?

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, the Apollo 11 MCC scenario doesn't have the Mission Control feature yet. So there will be no automatic updates. Not a lot of work has been done on the MCC since the NASSP 7.0 release, so right now it only covers the missions Apollo 7 and 8. Apollo 9 has a few MCC updates added to it already, but it only covers the first few hours of the mission.

So all you can do is to "manually" calculate and uplink state vectors updates, targeting data for course corrections etc. The primary tool for this is the RTCC MFD, which also comes with NASSP. There is a manual for it under "\Doc\Project Apollo - NASSP\Programmers Notes", although that hasn't really been updated yet since the NASSP 7.0 release in February, so quite a bit has changed.

astronauthen96

Reaction score
seperation

and i am just trying to figure out the seperation and docking attitude for the apollo 11 mission and i was wondering how i could do that

Last edited:

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
and i am just trying to figure out the seperation and docking attitude for the apollo 11 mission and i was wondering how i could do that

Well the main method for that is to let Mission Control calculate those numbers. In the absence of a MCC for Apollo 11 right now, the best way is using the backup procedure, as outlined e.g. in the Apollo 15 launch checklist: https://history.nasa.gov/afj/ap15fj/csmlc/3-01.gif

You wait until the S-IVB has maneuvered to the separation attitude, at which point you know one of the two attitudes you asked for. You basically follow the procedure marked with the stars and "If error needles not nulled:" in the checklist excerpt above. You call V16 N20E to get your current attitude, which is the separation attitude. And from that you calculate the extraction (docking) attitude with the math in the checklist:

R22 = 300° - R20

and so on. R20 is the roll angle of Noun 20, the docking attitude is supposed to be set into Noun 22, so the R22 means roll angle of Noun 22. So it's basically:

Roll Docking = 300° - Roll Separation
Pitch Docking = Pitch Separation + 180°
Yaw Docking = 360° - Yaw Separation

astronauthen96

Reaction score
mcc

and i was wondering if you have an estimate as to when the mcc will be available and when nassp 8 full version will be released?

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
and i was wondering if you have an estimate as to when the mcc will be available and when nassp 8 full version will be released?

Difficult to say. I'll work my way through the MCC stuff for Apollo 9-11 some time in the next few months, but it takes a lot of work per mission, so it won't be done quickly. And the NASSP 8.0 full release could be at the end of next year. Or a few months earlier. Or a few years later. The goal is full support for Apollo 7-11, minus EVA. As with any Orbiter project it all depends on how much time the developers can spent of their free time working on NASSP. Right now more people are working on NASSP than probably at any point in the last 5 years, so I'm rather optimistic about the progress.