Discussion Ariane 6 core stage for the Space Launch System(SLS) upper stage.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
NASA has just announced they want to send manned flights to the Moon within 5 years. The plan has been to use the SLS for such flights as a launcher comparable in payload to the Saturn V, ca. 130 tons to LEO. The problem is this would require the Exploration Upper Stage(EUS) for the SLS, a large and expensive stage whose funding is still in doubt:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Launch_System

Instead of that I suggested use of the Ariane 5 core as the upper stage for the SLS here:

http://exoscientist.blogspot.com/2013/09/budget-moon-flights-ariane-5-as-sls.html

However, the Ariane 5 would be beyond the size and weight limits NASA wanted for the upper stage. But the Ariane 6 core will be a shortened version of the Ariane 5 core so may be within the size limits required by NASA. The Ariane 6 is expected to make its first flight in 2020 so NASA may have the needed Moon launcher by that time frame.

Bob Clark

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Re: Ariane 6 core stage for the Space Launch System (SLS) upper stage

Is the Ariane 6 core stage lighter than Exploration Upper Stage?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is the Ariane 6 core stage lighter than Exploration Upper Stage?

Likely not. But we don't know yet. Also the LLPM will NOT be a shortened version of the Ariane 5 EPC, despite being based on the same technology.

About the construction of the Ariane 6, just read here:

http://www.dglr.de/publikationen/2017/450255.pdf

Especially take note there that the Ariane 6 LLPM has intertank structures with the forward fittings for the boosters, which the Ariane 5 did not have because of the full-length boosters.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Re: Ariane 6 core stage for the Space Launch System (SLS) upper stage

What about this concept (although I know that Falcon Heavy is not human-rated)?
1552800197142.png

Last edited:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Could someone ping Brian and Donamy and show them this picture?

The worst part would be the payload adapters. As long as they don't let Northrop Grumman design them (Remember Zuma), should be fine.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
Likely not. But we don't know yet. Also the LLPM will NOT be a shortened version of the Ariane 5 EPC, despite being based on the same technology.

About the construction of the Ariane 6, just read here:

http://www.dglr.de/publikationen/2017/450255.pdf

Especially take note there that the Ariane 6 LLPM has intertank structures with the forward fittings for the boosters, which the Ariane 5 did not have because of the full-length boosters.

Wikipedia gives the propellant mass for the Ariane 6 core as 140 tons compared to the 170 tons of the Ariane 5, while they have the same diameter of 5.4 m so I assumed it would be shortened. Wiki doesn't give the core stage length for the Ariane 6.

Bob Clark

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

View attachment 16529

I like the idea. It's been discussed on the SpaceX forum on Reddit.

Bob Clark

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wikipedia gives the propellant mass for the Ariane 6 core as 140 tons compared to the 170 tons of the Ariane 5, while they have the same diameter of 5.4 m so I assumed it would be shortened. Wiki doesn't give the core stage length for the Ariane 6.

Wikipedia is no proper scientific source and especially, it depends on people writing articles about the proper engineering. Right now, the Ariane 6 article only contains information from press releases and the preliminary user manual.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
Wikipedia is no proper scientific source and especially, it depends on people writing articles about the proper engineering. Right now, the Ariane 6 article only contains information from press releases and the preliminary user manual.

Ariane 6 is scheduled to launch next year and I haven’t seen any article giving the core stage length.

Bob Clark

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What are you expecting me to do about it? Download the CATDrawing and put it into the internet?

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
View attachment 16529

The idea is discussed here:

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...on-heavy-rocket-could-fly-humans-to-the-moon/

But the article seems to be saying contradictory things. It is both positive and negative towards the idea. Also, I can’t tell if the FH carrying the Orion idea it mentioned is only for a manned circumlunar flight or for a manned lunar landing flight.

Bob Clark

---------- Post added at 03:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 AM ----------

What are you expecting me to do about it? Download the CATDrawing and put it into the internet?

What I asking for was if anyone knew a reference for the length of the Ariane 6 core stage.

Bob Clark

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Those who build it know it. But it is not published yet, as far as I can tell, there are also no scientific articles containing this information.