Request Artemis landers

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. OH. Well then maybe someone could import the stl and build her. Or build from scratch.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
You could import the STL into Blender and convert it into a 3ds or msh file using the Orbiter import tool.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
perhaps the stl in the blender will not be imported as desired. the current 3d model does not cost $ 40

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You could import the STL into Blender and convert it into a 3ds or msh file using the Orbiter import tool.
I have not gotten the export tool to work. But I would think import from stl and export into something else. I use Anim8or or 3ds would be great. I hope someone can do it. I am busy with the shuttle,.....

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am willing and able to help someone. They could use Vessel Builder and add the parts and place them where they go.
TErCMgO.jpg

KUUs7sv.jpg

I just download their zip and imported into blender and export as a.obj. It needs texturing.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I'd be interested in putting them together via VB. I have no experience with texturing and meshes, but I use VB quite a bit.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was able to scale it to fit the Orion dock. In seems besides the tanks being gold. Basically everything is gray. When I redid the tank , I made the tank part gold and the rest gray. The inside of the thrusters black.

Because this is from a 3d model there are holes for dowels.

I can make the parts as meshes or try to make a mesh of the whole.

The main cabin. may need to be redone. So that the windows are back lit and textured. It looks like a ladder may be needed and a HGA?

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
I was able to scale it to fit the Orion dock. In seems besides the tanks being gold. Basically everything is gray. When I redid the tank , I made the tank part gold and the rest gray. The inside of the thrusters black.

Because this is from a 3d model there are holes for dowels.

The main cabin. may need to be redone. So that the windows are back lit and textured. It looks like a ladder may be needed and a HGA?
Based on the animations made by Dynetics themselves, I think their lander does not need a ladder since its airlock doors are low enough for astronauts to jump in the low lunar gravity. It even had an amazing option to convert the cabin into a pressurized rover

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com

Id' say that 1, 2 and 3 can be used directly, but the rest is best recreated (like you did with the tanks).

It's usually faster and simpler to do a new mesh (based on the one you already have) than trying to fix an existing one.
Specially if you need a certain organization (groups) for animation or texturing.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Based on the animations made by Dynetics themselves, I think their lander does not need a ladder since its airlock doors are low enough for astronauts to jump in the low lunar gravity. It even had an amazing option to convert the cabin into a pressurized rover
Havent seen that part where it can be a rover.

on the surface.
tviIFEq.jpg

in the video we get the magic of video like where are the landing gear and notice no ladder.
6NLqGZ1.jpg

H2Qhe9J.jpg

now gear.

dAJI4j2.jpg

So if we follow the video the thrusters are black. The 3d model didn't have rcs thrusters.

I think a ladder can be folded up in front of the hatch. But the gear will be a pain.

Let me put a mesh together with all the part assembled and scaled. And see what we get.

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Found this another video by Dynetics that showcased its test article (including the cockpit)...it does have a ladder of its own

.....and it was in this video where I first saw the rover feature on ALPACA (Dynetics HLS)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks.
krCp7GP.jpg

Weird I wonder why the window are large but are blocked to appear smaller?
LWs5eEX.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Weird I wonder why the window are large but are blocked to appear smaller?

I suspect from tests with human testers/astronauts to find out how much window is really necessary and how much weight can be saved by reducing the size of the windows. That explains why the covers on the window appear to be easily replaced or cut in size.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I suspect from tests with human testers/astronauts to find out how much window is really necessary and how much weight can be saved by reducing the size of the windows. That explains why the covers on the window appear to be easily replaced or cut in size.
This is very much what the Apollo LM went through during its design phase. Glass is very heavy so you want to minimize the amount of window area. In the initial designs of the LM, the two crew members were to be seated during flight leading to need to have very big and heavy windows. After some trials, they came up with the standing concept which reduced the window size to the small triangular windows it had in the final design.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
glasses will probably show through the walls (space or what is behind the ship will be visible (I'm fighting it now)