Request Artemis landers

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
new mesh with gear. They should fold up. I will make a simple one
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UXwE5suxU71UcA4LClp6AI3wtrxIlKA3/view?usp=sharing
QuR9eKh.jpg

barrygolden

Reaction score
that's looking pretty good. this will need a carrier for the mpcv to bring 2 new drop tanks to the gateway. it would be used to land the LER or SEV and the hab modules

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Looks quite good!

This article is not new but it has some information about extra launches for refueling:

"Bringing enough fuel along is key so Dynetics designed a set of modular propellant spacecraft to connect with ALPACA in lunar orbit. The company would likely use United Launch Alliance's Vulcan rocket to get its spacecraft to orbit, so a single Dynetics crewed mission would require three Vulcan launches: One for the ALPACA and two for each of the propellant spacecraft. Currently Dynetics plans to space each of those launches out by about two weeks, Crocker said, "so it's about a month for all three launches."

Because ALPACA won't have people on board until after it reaches the Moon, Dynetics will send the spacecraft "on a slow trajectory" to save fuel. That indirect route will mean taking "up to three months to get from the Earth to the Moon," he added.

"It's an innovative trajectory that that doesn't go directly but minimizes the propellant we use and therefore maximizes how much propellant we have left for the actual lunar mission," Crocker said. "From the time the first spacecraft launches to the completion of the crewed mission it could be as much as 10 or 12 months, depending on how long the crew waits to launch after we do."

I haven't see any designs for the refueling craft. It might very well be just like the lander, with a large tank in place of the hab...

barrygolden

Reaction score
Looking really great guys. be sure to add some EVA lights to this thing . You might look at adding the LER in place of the hab and the moonbase might be on board sometime. Be sure to add some cargo boxes that would drop off and stay on the Moon. talking with some NASA guy looking at this and the Lunar Starship will cost about $ 2 billion but the Lockheed lander is about $ 10 billion . This lander is about $ 900 Million and is far more ahead of the others. This might be the only way to meet the 2024 goal

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We have an issue. I was looking at the solar array. And was going to fold it. See the first array is too long it would hit the other array.
NhjgFRQ.jpg

In the other images they have the array thru the dock. I think the way to fix this. Is make the array into maybe 3 parts and they fold over the tanks.

Another thought which is possible I don't think thru VB though. Is to make the array like The ISS. Where the end goes out/up and the panels unfold like an accordion.

ztQFDxH.jpg

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes. The HGA's can be simple rotate away from the frame. Or be complicated. Rotate from the frame, rotate /tilt at the head.
Looking at this they seem to be different sizes and different base structures.
tpiChEN.jpg

I guess a version could be made with the habitat module and the LER,... can be the payload.

article about fueling:

Last edited:

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Something like this:
xYpEWPq.jpg

If someone can work on the cfg to get the basic stuff,. mass touchdown,.... I can code the solar array to tilt up , rotate and expand
I'm not much an animations guy, but based on observations of the capabilities of both VB and SC4, the "accordion" deployment is possible. Several "Rotates" and "Translates" are needed per mesh group to make that work, along with setting each animation code its parent component

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is one way: The black end would translate up and the red sides would scale and the brown tiles would unfold. I might make the solar panels assembly a another mesh so I can load in Mesh Wizard. As the lander wouldn't. Can you do the rest in the cfg touchdowns,....thruster amounts,.... Then I can copy into a dll version and do the panels and ladder, hga animation
6aJHztx.jpg

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
This is one way: The black end would translate up and the red sides would scale and the brown tiles would unfold. I might make the solar panels assembly a another mesh so I can load in Mesh Wizard. As the lander wouldn't. Can you do the rest in the cfg touchdowns,....thruster amounts,.... Then I can copy into a dll version and do the panels and ladder, hga animation
6aJHztx.jpg
I could help in the thruster amounts for the ALPACA...a separate mesh for the solar arrays would be a better solution than incorporating it in a single mesh...