Request Artemis landers

cosmonaut2040

Reaction score
The key here is that SpaceX is actively developing Starship on their own, regardless of Artemis.
NASA is just paying for the lunar variant - simpler and with lower risk than what they are currently testing!

Right, but I think it is more important than just making a new version of the spacecraft. SpaceX also needs to develop orbital refuelling and the accompanying rear-side docking, it is important for the whole Starship architecture. And NASA can help them with that through this contract. As well as with learning how to operate in deep space and on lunar surface, which will be useful for Mars. So I think this is very beneficial for both SpaceX and NASA.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
0247.jpg
Update of the Moonship -04.
Better looking landing legs and minor cosmetic updates,
additional docking port and attachment point aft (allows docking to a tanker),
reduced the default payload from 20 to 10 ton,
added a scenario on Marius Hills with a landing party.

Attachments

• Moonship-04.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 28

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Looks like the Dynetics and/or Blue Origin will get their second chance. This is a quote from an article by the Planetary Society:
This is not the end of either the National Team or Dynetics lunar lander concepts. The $2.9 billion contract awarded by NASA is for development activities, one uncrewed landing test, and one crewed landing demonstration of Starship. NASA plans to compete a subsequent contract for ongoing lunar surface ferry operations. Anyone can bid on that, so the other teams could continue to self-fund to mature their lunar landing designs in the interim

barrygolden

Reaction score
Just had a look with gattis LER and looked really cool. The LER needs to be finished with the EVA guys to deploy and Lights with the light tower folded up as well. We might think about adapting the suits from the" Martian "with the large helmets, lights and smaller backpacks. Maybe an updated ALSEP package as well

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
NASA plans to compete a subsequent contract for HLS*

*Pending proper funding from Congress, which has consistently underfunded HLS.

cosmonaut2040

Reaction score
The sustainable operations contract will be open to new entrants too. My ideal combination of winners would be SpaceX and ULA. I always liked ULA's dual-axis lander concept.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Dynetics actually had the worst rating as far as the technical side goes. Blue Origin would've won over Dynetics.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Dynetics design with the low cabin is cool but problematic.
Liftoff from an unprepared surface on the Moon is quite violent, and the cabin would be hit by all sorts of debris.

The LM was relatively high and had the landing stage to protect it, but it was hit by stuff.
On Apollo 16 they did a 360º to check the damage:
Nothing major but the insulation on the back side is clearly compromised (at around 1:50 on the video).
If it was a reusable lander, there would be problems.

barrygolden

Reaction score
The Altair design still looks the best to me. Yes only the ascent cabin is reusable but you could fly up a fully fueled descent stage then refit the cabin on it. You would need to change back to the original service module on Orion to carry extra fuel to refuel the ascent stage and restock the inside stores such as food and water. Still hard to see space x land this 4 story tall Moon ship on a sloping as the case with Apollo15. Now I know with have better images today than back in 1971 but still looks iffy to me

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
0263m.jpg

Update-05:
Landing engines are now in a circle around the hull.
A landing party can be shown with the [P] key, when landed.
The tanker is now a DragonXL vessel.
Added an experimental scenario with an Orion MPCV to dock in Lunar orbit.

Have fun flying!

Attachments

• Moonship-05.zip
    1 MB · Views: 27

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks cute :) Does it support any cargo standard like UCGO or UCSO?

MexSpace

Reaction score
Hello, I downloaded the Vulcan plug-in and everything was damaged, now in any scenario that I open it looks like this, how can I solve it?1620329917866.png