Tutorial Assembling the Saturn V and Rolling it out

pburt68

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I was using NASSP and I've been flying missions on both NASSP and AMSO for Orbiter, and I have found them both to be very interesting programs. Its amazing to see what people have developed over time. But anyways; lets get straight to the point...
I was using NASSP and I just randomly decided I was going to see if I could assemble the Saturn V and then roll it out to the launch pad. I noticed there was an extreme lack of information regarding this rather 'simple procedure'. It took me awhile (about an entire day) to find out the controls on how to do this process. I wanted to post a tutorial so that other people would know how to do it as well if they wanted to do the same thing I did for realism.

First, Open orbiter. Under Project Apollo NASSP, click on Historical Missions. Under that click on the folder named Apollo 11, and open the scenario 'assembly'.
Next, when it loads up, focus your view on the pad inside the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB). Use the numpad 7 and 8 to open the giant doors on the front of the vehicle assembly building. (Note that in order to open the doors, you must be focused on the 'Crawler' and not 'Colombia').
After the doors completely open, press B on your keyboard to start the process of assembly. The cranes operate extremely slowly, so it may help to use 100x or 1000x timewarp. If you don't, it will take at least a full 24 hours realtime to assemble the rocket, just like it did back in 1969. Below at the bottom of the VAB, you will see the 1st stage come in on a crane. It will then be released into the lower equipment bay of the VAB. Then a large crane from the upper equipment bay of the VAB will come down and grab it, carry it up to the upper equipment bay, and then it will slide forward to position it over the launchtower and platform. It will then lower it into position, and then release and come back up and slide back to its starting position. Press B again to repeat this same operation for the 2nd Stage, the 3rd Stage, the CM/LM stack, and the Launch Escape System (LES). You can use the "U" key on your keyboard at any time to reverse the operation and disassemble the saturn V as long as you haven't began the crawler moving procedure.

Once you have assembled a full saturn V, hit the B key again to release the Saturn V from the platform extensions, and to bring the swingarms of the launch tower to the saturn v. Once this is complete, you are ready to begin the rollout procedure.

To rollout, have the VAB doors open and use number 2 on your keyboard to get a view from the rear drivers seat of the crawler. Press ENTER and the + (plus) key on your NUMPAD to move the crawler one direction, or press ENTER and the - (minus) key to move the crawler in another direction. Use the Keys 3 and 1 on your NUMPAD to steer the crawler. If you are in drivers seat view, you will see the wheel and the angle of turn you are performing. Slowly steer the crawler and pull it in directly underneath the launch pad in the VAB. Once directly underneath, press the 'J' key to lower the launch pad onto the crawler.

Press the number 1 on your keyboard to switch back to front driver's view, and throttle forward and begin the rollout procedure using the same controls you used to get inside the building. You can close the VAB doors by hitting the NUMPAD 7 and 8 again to close/open them. Now, rollout to the pad by following the road the whole way there. When you reach the pad and you have positioned the crawler and launchpad correctly, you should be able to release it off the crawler and into launching position by using the J key. After this, take the crawler back to the VAB, open the doors, park it, and close the doors. Now just wait until 3 or 4 hours before launch time which is 13:32:00 UTC on July 16, 1969, and begin preparations for launch by following the checklist.

Hope this helps anyone who is having a hard time finding information regarding this cool scenario. See ya! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to send me a message, or send me an email to [email protected]. I will gladly respond to your questions. Just make sure you put in the Subject: "Orbiter-Forum - Question/Comment about your post"
Thanks,
pburt68

pburt68

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Yeah, I was aware of the wiki articles you posted, but It took me awhile to find them, because that was the last place I thought to go lol.:rofl: Anyways, thanks for the compliment. Is there any kind of index or anything like that on wikipedia regarding all the different procedures with NASSP and AMSO, or do I actually have to search for them? I like to use both programs due to the fact that NASSP has a great virtual AGC, and AMSO has so much realism in its launch vehicle and spacecraft exterior animation. It would be so amazing if there was a way that the two different scenarios could merge together with AMSO's excellent animation, and NASSP's excellent AGC (Apollo Guidance Computer).:speakcool:

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net
Is there any kind of index or anything like that on wikipedia regarding all the different procedures with NASSP and AMSO, or do I actually have to search for them?

Well, the wiki I linked isn't "Wikipedia", but the Project Apollo - NASSP wiki. You'll find articles about NASSP only there, here's a list of all articles: http://nassp.sourceforge.net/wiki/Special:Allpages

Cheers
Tschachim

pburt68

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Thanks!!!:) I appreciate it. For as long as I've had the program, I didn't even know they had it all indexed. Have a good one!!!
-pburt68

Milenko44

Reaction score
i downloaded nassp but i do not have this scenario. can someone give me a link?

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
It's in the "broken scenarios" folder last time I checked, but it comes with NASSP.

Also, do check the age of threads when posting mate. I didn't notice either and now we've both resurrected a dinosaur.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Also, do check the age of threads when posting mate. I didn't notice either and now we've both resurrected a dinosaur.

Even still. Occasionally fossils need to be dug up. If this one hadn't I'd have had no idea that naasp had that capability, and thus would have gone on having no interest in downloading it, given that I already have amso.