Astrology API?

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hey, so I’m looking for either a 100% free unlimited astrology API or I’m looking to create one myself in PHP. I’ve looked around and all the existing ones I’ve found have limits on the free tier. If anyone knows of a free one let me know so I don’t need to develop this. Otherwise…

The main function I’m trying to accomplish is to get get the constellation each planet is in for any given date/time.

I’m pretty good dealing with complex orbital equations back when i was developing orbiter addons, but it’s been like over 10 years and I’m a bit rusty so I think I need a refresher.

So if I wanted to figure out which zodiac constellation the Sun is in right now, what data and function would I need?

Now what if I wanted to calculate which zodiac constellation Jupiter is in last Wednesday at 8pm GMT?

How about which zodiac constellation the Moon was in on August 2, 1981 at 11:53 PM EDT when viewed from Portland, Maine, USA?

What about which zodiac constellation is rising on the eastern Horizon at that same time?

I’m guessing I need some basic data set that defines the orbital elements of each celestial body, then some function to derive the position based on a current date…. Then figure out earths position and rotation, and do the maths, etc.

Any insights greatly appreciated

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Recommendation: Don't even think about it, if your sanity is important to you. Real world astronomy doesn't mix well with medieval astrology. Ever heard of the 13th sign of the zodiak, ophiuchus? The signs of the zodiak have only a VERY loose relation to the old constellations of Ptolemy.

Otherwise: Simply start playing by planetarium mode....

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Somehow I don't think there's too many people here familiar with astrological tools... :unsure:
Yeah probably not but I figured there’s definitely some people who would know how to take keplerian elements and calculate a position relative to earth for any given date/time

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Recommendation: Don't even think about it, if your sanity is important to you. Real world astronomy doesn't mix well with medieval astrology. Ever heard of the 13th sign of the zodiak, ophiuchus? The signs of the zodiak have only a VERY loose relation to the old constellations of Ptolemy.

Otherwise: Simply start playing by planetarium mode....
Yes I’ve heard of it, I’m just interested in the 12 common zodiac signs, and they are based on real life locations of celestial bodies…

There must be a simple way to calculate for example if mercury is appearing retrograde

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes I’ve heard of it, I’m just interested in the 12 common zodiac signs, and they are based on real life locations of celestial bodies…

Oh, you are in for a surprise then. They are not. Not any more....

llarian

Reaction score
Go and research what Heinlein had to say about astrology.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
they are based on real life locations of celestial bodies…
"Inspired by" might be a more accurate description. The constellations have quite different sizes in the night sky, yet astrology had to somehow distribute them evenly over the year, leading to significant discrepancies between astrological constellations and astronomical ones... If you're trying to do astrology mathematically based on astronomical data, I'm afraid the astrologists will not be very impressed by your results...

Last edited:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

ThBaron

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What I have never understood about astrology is that everyone who was born more or less at the same time and in the same place should have the same personality and future because of same constellation of stars and planets. Born in a large town, that would have to be several hundred with exact same personality and future. So I would be interested in the mathematical derivation from which spatial distance and from which time difference people have different personalities and future. ;)

Last edited:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
What I have never understood about astrology is that everyone who was born more or less at the same time and in the same place should have the same personality and future because of same constellation. Born in a large town, that would have to be several hundred with exact same personality and future. So I would be interested in the mathematical derivation from which spatial distance and from which time difference people have different personalities and future. ;)
Depending on the education system you were in growing up, when you were born makes a huge difference, but that is probably due to "how old you were relative to your peers in your grade".

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Depending on the education system you were in growing up, when you were born makes a huge difference, but that is probably due to "how old you were relative to your peers in your grade".

In Germany, the professions of your parents can have more effect on your later life than your own achievements ...and of course the stars.

Our education system and our modern culture is still a disaster. If you are born as son of a lawyer, even being a real idiot will not prevent you from becoming a lawyer again. (There are even examples with PhD title, who should NEVER have gotten that title without their family connections). Contrary, getting into the business without such a background is terribly hard, alone the minimum books for preparing for the exams can cost you 700€, lacking the social networks also makes it harder to get forward there, even if you managed to get the exam. Social mobility is really bad here, upwards just like downwards.

If you are born to poor parents, people will work hard to make sure you stay poor.

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Astrology has also pretty much ignored precession, so their calculations are based upon 2000 year old data. Their ‘first point of Aries’ is about two weeks off, and I should be a ‘Scorpius’, not a ‘Scorpio’.

Better off using astronomy algorithms, most which can probably be found on various threads here, then map out the constellation borders, then let the programming check which constellation the body appears in.

Last edited:

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I didn't mean for this to become a discussion on the legitimacy of astrology or not, I was just hoping to find the formulas and functions to get celestial body positions for a given date/time from a certain viewing location on earth, I think today I found one quite aptly named https://astronomyapi.com/

If anyone else knows any alternatives I should also consider please suggest them!