Astronomer photographs Bolide and contrail

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I hope someone here who really knows their stuff can identify it. Reddit has a habit of identifying everything as something extraordinary. It's contested in the comments whether or not this is an ordinary meteor. Obviously probability says it's just a neat shot of an ordinary event. I haven't seen any solid reason to think otherwise, though I don't know what a 'bolide fireball' REALLY looks like. (Rather than what redditors say it looks like)

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Having seen several bolide fireballs, I'd hazard to guess this is one. They're really not that uncommon, just pretty hard to photograph on camera as you don't know where, when, or if there is one coming. The person who posted it appeared to be doing star trails with a wide lens (50mm f/1.4) photographing a large portion of the sky and accidentally caught one. The fact that it only appeared for one 10" frame and then gone the next one, leaving just a contrail that later dissipates, pretty much rules out plane or satellite, having photographed both during star trails.

Gerdih

Reaction score
Man, its just Picard and Enterprise-E coming from the future to stop the Borg... uh, wait... they missed the year! We are all gona die!

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Please. It's a weather baloon.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Neuralizer1.png

All right, there was no alien. The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.