atmospheric model for more realistic LEO operation

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has bothered to create more realistic atmospheric data for the Earth where the atmosphere does not just dissipate after a certain altitude. Is the lack of atmosphere after a certain altitude a limitation to orbiter or was it designed like this on purpose to deal with time acceleration

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has bothered to create more realistic atmospheric data for the Earth where the atmosphere does not just dissipate after a certain altitude. Is the lack of atmosphere after a certain altitude a limitation to orbiter or was it designed like this on purpose to deal with time acceleration

You mean above 200 km? The cutoff is deliberate.

I heard Orbiter would have problems dealing with the small numbers representing drag forces. Besides, at that height, I hardly think the usual gas equations still apply... gas starts behaving more like single particles then a continuous matter...

Making a more complex atmospheric model is somewhat difficult, especially because it's hard to make a function to describe atmospheric density over altitude. it relies on a lot of factors, such as pressure, temperature, solar activity,...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I heard Orbiter would have problems dealing with the small numbers representing drag forces. Besides, at that height, I hardly think the usual gas equations still apply... gas starts behaving more like single particles then a continuous matter...

You can solve this by using a special lift-function, but which add-on does have a lift-function for huge reynolds-numbers?

-Pv-

Reaction score
I always wondered bout this cutoff also. One moment the hull temp is zero degrees and the next moment 200 + degrees.
-Pv-

DarkWanderer

Orbiter Contributor
Donator
Reaction score
I've ran into one of the NASA models time ago (NRLMSISE-00). Though it's only applicable for Earth, one may try to implement it in Orbiter.

Last edited: