Back after long hiatus

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
I've been a member of this forum for a while, and an orbinaut for an even longer while, but my windows machine died on me about a year ago and I haven't been able to play since then. Recently I bought a new netbook with XP on it and the first thing I did was install orbiter.

It's amazing how much I'd forgotten. I can't even remember some of the buttons (add that onto the fact that I'm using a laptop keyboard). I used to be able to orbit, sync, dock, reenter and go to the moon without even thinking about it, and now I am working out the details on getting to orbit.

My plan is to set up my install with all historical addons and a few future things (like some station parts from the French) and do 100 years of space flight or something like that.

Anyway, to resume, I just wanted to say hey to everyone and thanks, as well, for making Orbiter such a great community.

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
:welcome:back to the forum! A laptop, eh? Oh, the dreaded 'Fn' key.:)

:hailprobe:

Last edited:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hi clickypens, welcome back mate! It's good to see you back enjoying Orbiter. :)

EDIT - Concerning numpad for laptops, it is very hard using the function key for that. I bought a USB numpad which I plug into my laptop. Works great and is wireless, so I can control the spacecraft from the kitchen while refreshing my beer... err, mission control didn't hear that.. of course I meant tea! :lol: ;)

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
Yeah, it's kind of a pain to get it going. I was thinking of either getting a USB numpad or an adaptor from keyboard to USB for an old full-size keyboard.
I definitely second the Fn-Lock request (though turning on NumLock is almost the same...)

But yeah, I'm having a good time nonetheless and eventually hope to get up to a more advanced level then where I was.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Welcome back, Clickypens. :hello:

Thirded for the Fn-lock request. Heck, I'd want that outside of Orbiter. Has anyone heard of a way to reverse the button's use (IE pressing Fn allows you to use the brightness/battery hotkeys instead of this idiocy of pressing it for the function keys?)

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome back! I haven't been here long, but enough to know your name. :)

@Izack: Fn is hardware-specific, it's a level above what gets sent as scancode input (it controls what scancode the key will send), so it can't be changed in software AFAIK.
That being said, my laptop (HP DV7, a desktop replacement) has a built-in numpad and I love it. :D

Okay, the numpad is the only thing I like about the design, but that's off-topic. :lol: