Back from Orbiter 2006

Gazza

Reaction score
Hi all

I see orbiter has changed quite a lot. After STS Payloads 2.01 was made redundant in orbiter 2010, i kind of left the scene. All my scenario coding of the pylon module was just wasted, which frustrated me a lot, as i spent so much time and effort to get this working correctly. I did briefly return as david413 used some of my meshes from STS Payloads 2.01, to work in orbiter 2010 with the shuttles v4.8R2 and the STS Payloads 2010R0 package.

Spending years away on another sim, i did occasionally fire up orbiter 2006 just for STS Payloads 2.01 and the unreleased STS Payloads v2.01 part2. This has has been sitting on my hard drive for nearly 10 years. The models do now look so out of date:blush:, but computers couldn't really handle the extra details back then and performance was a must!

I see that my pylon LC39 pad and shuttlebay 'idea' has been used for another addon, and member Hutchison has been updating shuttle missions from my STS payloads 2.01 add on, glad to see these are still being used in orbiter 2010!

For the past two weeks, i've been lurking on here, trying to get up to date with orbiter( about 7 years worth ). In fact, i need to speed up on orbiter 2010p1 and 2016.

What i have leant is that the shuttle fleet does not work correctly in 2016. Although i will use orbiter 2016 with the shuttle ultra addon( once my computer has been updated ). My questions are mainly for Orbiter 2010p1 so i can still use the shuttle fleet and STS PayloadsR0.

So i have a couple of questions.

1.D3D9/11Client for orbiter 2010p1

My computer is very outdated. I have a AMD 64 x2 athlon 6000+ , 2gb ram, Gforce GTX 650 graphic card and windowsXP.

Can i use this client for my computer specifications?

2. Shuttle fleet related.

After watching orbiter 2010p1 videos on YouTube, i see the shuttle fleet has reentry flames. When using Autofcs, i never get any whatsoever. Also on one of the videos, there was an extra HUD readout showing mach number, speed in MPH, altitude in feet and miles to touchdown. Have i missed something so obvious here?

EDIT Video in question here
https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=401441&postcount=8

ISS addons.

This seems confusing. It appears there are three. Can the shuttle fleet use all correctly?
I would like to build the station from the first shuttle mission to the ISS.

4. Space shuttle Ultra.

Really amazed this team has stuck together for this all time. Can this add-on now deploy satellites from clamshells and the IUS? I remember reading about the new LC39pad, IUS in the pipeline and the centaur for the shuttle?

Glad to see there are still a lot of members here that i remember from years ago.

I'm hoping to be back full time on orbiter for the foreseeable future!

Thanks

Gazza(Gary)

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
4. Space shuttle Ultra.

Really amazed this team has stuck together for this all time. Can this add-on now deploy satellites from clamshells and the IUS? I remember reading about the new LC39pad, IUS in the pipeline and the centaur for the shuttle?

No PAMs yet, but IUS and both Centaur variants exist in a "coarse"* version. :tiphat:

* The switch panels and the payload SPEC displays are WIP right now.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
4. Space shuttle Ultra.

Glad to see there are still a lot of members here that i remember from years ago.

I'm hoping to be back full time on orbiter for the foreseeable future!

Thanks

Gazza(Gary)

Hi there, welcome back!
Yes, SSU is still alive... we still have some things left to do. :lol:
For Orbiter 2010 there is SSU 4.2, and for 2016 we will release SSU 5.0... sometime in the future... :uhh: meanwhile you can always download the sources and compile a 2016 version.
We now have both the IUS and the Centaurs (already in 4.2), but we still lack the PAM-D and D2... Urwumpe is working on new GPCs that should allow that and other things. (You can still make "PAM cradle vessel" and operate it.)

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
:welcome: back, Gazza! Been a long time, good to see you. :)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi there, welcome back!
Yes, SSU is still alive... we still have some things left to do. :lol:
For Orbiter 2010 there is SSU 4.2, and for 2016 we will release SSU 5.0... sometime in the future... :uhh: meanwhile you can always download the sources and compile a 2016 version.
We now have both the IUS and the Centaurs (already in 4.2), but we still lack the PAM-D and D2... Urwumpe is working on new GPCs that should allow that and other things. (You can still make "PAM cradle vessel" and operate it.)
Yes. For the latest SSU happenings, you should check out the dedicated SSU subforum here: https://www.orbiter-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

fort

Reaction score
Hello Gazza,

Real pleasure to read some words from you.

Gazza

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies;)

I did install the latest R16.5 client for 2010p1. Over 500fps on my old system! Never ever seen frames that fast. For some reason , the client was CTD over my versions of Edwards and white sands bases. It appears the client does not like runway entries without a runway texture and segments?

So it appears the shuttle fleet still won't show reentry flames when following the correct reentry profile? One of the reasons I had pylon to mod this in 2006. Still unsure about the extra HUD flight profile in that video.

I have downloaded the three ISS add-ons, to see what version comes in seperate parts, so I can build it from the first ISS STS flight.

I'm not sure if it's worth updating the 2010 R0 payloads with the unrelease part two of the STS Payloads v2, as the way forward is with orbiter 2016( a bit of deja-vu here ). I could always update it just in case.

Thanks

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well I am trying to get more than one shuttle for 2016. Basically replacing the mesh and recoding. I have been able to get the STS payloads to work in 2016. Plyon doesn't work in 2016.

barrygolden

Reaction score
Hey Gazza
I still say your STS payloads really brought orbiter to life for me and older than most here it took about 3 years to make it work, didn't understand about pylon then one night figured it out and your addon came to life. Yes I saw Shepard launch on a black and white TV so I not computer savvy but with the help of brianj and 4rock they helped me at least understand a few things about computers. My love for space flight led me back to a job with SpaceX and having hands on with real hardware is keeping me young. both of them , gattis and hutchison have really helped me Keep my dreams of Space flight alive. and I supported and encouraged others with ideas to keep the shuttles flying and other NASA mission on going.
I would love to see STS payloads 2 fly in orbiter and other non flown payloads from the 4 year manifest which changed after Challenger. The detail the that the SSU guys is awesome but I'm a simple shuttle fleet guy. never really got SSU to do much but the work these guys have done is amasing so I ask if you do release a newer STS payloads for 2016 it would be great for some of us if you keep it pretty simple with auto pilots and a version of afs would be super

check out the STS flights on you tube by "Hellbender" from KSP, amsing detail and lighting work. might be something to follow

Great to have you back
Barry

Marg

Reaction score
OOOOh, hi Gazza. I have been in London twice in the fall of 2012, think "he is somewhere here". And voila... I have a bad fact of life as my father died on Jan 22, though so I try to change my mood and look into forum.
So I also kinda rarely used Orbiter, but...
some time ago I managed to make a few Space Shuttle missions with multistage2015 for Orbiter 2016. Not Shuttle Fleet though, but - it allows to specify concrete ET and SRB meshes and textures, unique for each flight. Even ET textures, cables were visually different. I saw it in AXM paper models site, where every STS mission's textures are depicted. And i photos I really noticed that cables on STS-6 were not white (light weight tank), but STS-7 featured those whte cables again (cause it was the last standard weight tank used). IUS stage pitch up I modeled, using some dummy intervehicle (Donamy's astronaut with bending knees, etc.?).

Marg

Reaction score
Actually yes, only i think how to make it happen. A lot of files are created. But I will think.

Marg

Reaction score
I posted STS-3 video (with multistage2015 as an instrument, I used SSU, Donamys and other meshes):
I quite like it, looks like STS-3
I copied ET mesh (high quality), renamed to ET-3, also I edited mesh file to reference to unique texture file (for STS-3), edited texture file, to make white cables, also lighter yellowish bands on reddish ET etc...
So with SRB's - they suffered from z-buffer fight when looking through MS_Camera (high zoom TV view), so I just deleted most rings around SRB's, and created "_norm" texture, so they still feel like "bumps-rings".
I also went as far as to delete external polys of orbiter's internal cargo bay doors\radiators. Because of the same reason (I do not deploy radiators in orbit).
Also smoke deflection and SRB exhausts are good looking. Not perfect, because of some limitations - 1)smoke deflection appears in the front of the shuttle and on the back simultaneously (in the back it should be later, of course, at the moment of SRB ignition).
2) I like SRB exhaust, but, of course, it should look different when further back (down) from nozzles, but near the SRB nozzles, (and 30 m down) it is very good. I think this could be realistic all the way down only when orbiter would support dynamically changing particles, which come out of nozzles "shiny", " hot" and change a couple of secs later (from emmisive to diffuse). It would be seamless transition, which would not require another diffuse stream.

Gazza

Reaction score
Welcome back Gary !! Checkout ISS A to Z on Orbithangar.

Hi Don
Glad to be back!!

Is this an updated version of the ISS v4.5, or a completely new ISS? I'm trying to catch up with everything!:blush:

On another note, so i found out the shuttle fleet does have re-entry flames if the D3D9Client is used. The extra flight HUD info, is the 'HUDData MFD' add-on( which i already had lurking in O2006).

Thanks

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The US part is new. And being updated as things are added.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Now that I finally got the Atlantis code to work and was able to change the meshes. I think most of the STS payloads work in 2016. It is a matter of adjusting attachments. Here is the 2016 Discovery with STS payloads.

5nLmnpk.jpg

It means the Plyon MFD works has some issues though in 2016.

Marg

Reaction score
STS-51 with TOS, I also experimented:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XHgOFZ-BH8"]STS-51 payload bay - YouTube[/ame]
Just launched scenario to make sure it still works. Notice external tank's upper part - unique pattern of conspicious yellowish stripes. Some other missions also had something similar...
Currently I am still setting up files in zip...

Marg

Reaction score
Yes, better would be to program dll, of course, but I liked how much things can be done with multistage2015. I will try to sort out as soon as possible at least 1 mission.