Request Battletech Dropship

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
OK, report: Have a basic generic DLL done, and did a small, quick and dirty Intruder drop ship mesh for testing. All definitions are done by a configuration file.

In case somebody asks what the difference is to a normal configuration file - The input parameters are direct tabletop numbers from AeroTech2.

The next steps in the development:

• Animations (especially landing gear and bay doors)
  • User interface (Generic 2D panels)
  • Crew transfer over UMMU
  • Cargo handling
  • Eye Candy

Attachments

• Intruder-wip0.jpg
    Intruder-wip0.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 52

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks pretty... spherical :lol:

Keep going this way :thumbup:

I'll do my worst :lol:

I already have a first "less than minimal" scenario idea, what could be done in rather short time:

An Explorer Corps mission to an unknown solar system

Requires:

• A unknown solar system. Can maybe be one of the many new solar systems appearing on O-H.
  • A small drop ship, ideally spherical. Intruder or Seeker class preferred.
  • A Magellan jump ship
  • Two light aerospace fighters, can be of the same class
  • A orbital small craft for cargo hauling and EVA repairs...as if we would have them. Can be ignored.
The jump ships would be so far just stationary at the jump points, with solar sail deployed, acting as refueling point for the drop ship.

Would be a nice goal for the start to work towards, having a mission that is more than a drop ship at a spaceport.

Yesterday I stopped at adding hover dust clouds (which are HUGE for a drop ship), today I will focus on making the first panel bitmaps and test if my plan for the user interface works.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
I would be quite happy with just the Union Dropship. Maybe we need UGBR (Universal Giant Biped Robots) for Orbiter?

Oh and we need LCT-1E, QKD-4H, WHM-6R, AS7-D loaded up inside it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Oh and we need LCT-1E, QKD-4H, WHM-6R, AS7-D loaded up inside it.

I just need suitable meshes and graphics... I need much more time for making graphics than for doing useful code. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Just a small sign of life here, used the Superbowl for something productive:

picture.php

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is that a JumpShip?

Yes, a Magellan class jump ship from the Explorer Corps (of Comstar). Is a tiny bit larger as an Invader class. Can carry only a single drop ship, but has over 1200 tons fuel capacity (Invader has 50 tons). Designed for long independent exploration missions.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Leopard Class Model

Okay, I finally dug through storage and found the scale model of the Leopard Class DropShip I built back in the 90s. There are more pics in my profile album, each with a description. Check these out:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

As I wrote in the descriptions, this model is to the same scale as the BattleMech minis and was built for use in tabletop battles using two or three-inch virtual hexes. The fuselage is carved from a block of wood, and a shaft drilled through the center engine well contains the electronics for the working beacon and strobe lights. It's been a long time since I used the lights and even longer since I wired the electronics, but I might get them working again someday.

This thing was taken to a BattleTech convention (yes, by now, you should know just how big of a BattleTech dork I used to be), and it was a HUGE hit. Every B-Tech player in there wanted to know how much money I wanted to build him one. I was in college at the time and didn't have time to build more than one, so I demurred. Besides, it's got lots of flaws, so a "production" model would have to be better made.

I keep threatening to build an Orbiter add-on for this, maybe someday. It's very hard to find good images on the web, no blueprints, but with this physical model as a pattern I should be able to make a very good Anim8or model.

Ah BattleTech in the 90s. Those were the days!

battletech.jpg

Last edited:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, everyone knew that BattleTech was copying RoboTech/Macross elements and westernizing them, creating a whole different universe. BattleTech made for a better tabletop wargame, and of course a great computer sim franchise with the MechWarrior games. Macross was more theatrical.

Although you bring up a good point: Lots of reference images for BattleMech add-ons can be found by looking for Macross stuff. Especially the convertible AeroMechs. Unfortunately, the Leopard DropShip was a Fasa creation, not a Japanese import.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, the Unseen were a little surprising the first time I came across them. Well, at least they only took the cool designs (although they should have copied the Monster while they were at it...) :lol:

I was only joking about the copying. I'm a big fan of BattleTech. :)

You're right about reference images, though. It's nearly impossible to find good ones for anything other than 'Mechs.

Do you know of any good sources of images? I can't find a reliable one that has pictures of aerospace fighters or Drop/Jumpships.

There is this:
theinvasion.jpg

from Warhawk Enterprises, which has a a collection with few other decent images. Hope it helps a little.

Last edited:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
The only place I know is the sourcebooks for the B-Tech wargame, known as "Technical Readouts". These had the stats needed for using various units in the wargame, such as Mechs, fighters, DropShips, and traditional armored vehicles and helicopters. Unfortunately, most of them had only one illustration of the each vehicle, and most of those haven't been uploaded to the web, anyway. So even if you have copies of them (which I do), they don't give you a really good view.

For the Leopard model I had to make some assumptions. The landing gear I assumed would be a heavy 4-point system like the B-52, so I built it that way. I also added some hover jet exhaust ports, and guessed at what the engine compartment should look like, since the illustration in the sourcebook only showed it in flight, from the front quarter, with the landing gear retracted.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My uncle had the Technical Readout 3075, but I don't know where it went...
A little more on-topic, are those pop-bottle caps I see as exhaust nozzles? :)
Brilliant model, by the way.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score

Yes. Go to my profile and look at the whole album. I have notes about construction with the photos.

Thanks.:thankyou:

---------- Post added 08-14-10 at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was 08-13-10 at 11:00 PM ----------

Here's a guy who made a paper model of a Leopard:
http://ehacetfl.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=show&thread=425&page=1#5937

And here's a cool computer model somebody made for a Leopard. Apparently it's not a free download, you have to pay to use it. I like the bottom and tail detail:

http://www.3dexport.com/img-leopard-4934.htm#topimg

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
My uncle had the Technical Readout 3075, but I don't know where it went...

Sure about 3075? (There is no such TR) Maybe you mean TR 3057, which contains the space stuff... have it here.

If somebody needs scans of selected drawings in the read-out, I can provide them via email (for preventing copyright issues).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A small update: Ported the Generic Dropship DLL development to Orbiter 2010, included some new joy, like thruster light sources and Lua.

I could still need some graphics for testing, would not need to be limited to Dropships, since anything from the Battletech universe could find use. If you need nice reference drawings, there is a wiki at Sarna.net, that contains a lot of nice drawings and other information about the universe.

I am still not sure if I should make a 2D panel or a VC, a VC would mean much more dependence on graphical artists, but would look much cooler especially on the larger vessels.

If the interest is there, I can post development versions of the modules on O-H from time to time, but if I am the only one really interested in Dropships, Jumpships, Aerospace fighters and 'Mechs, I don't need to risk having to provide support to *shrug* newbies.

---------- Post added 01-31-11 at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-30-11 at 10:18 PM ----------

There is also a small library of 3D Models in various formats, but not much information on the license and also I fear, the models are mostly only good for acting as reference, but have too many polygons for use in Orbiter.

http://www.sarna.net/files/media/3d_models/

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Latest additions: (Main) Thruster lights, basic crew simulation, more fun stuff is about to come in the absence of graphics:

CBTDS_NewFeature.png

It is still a bit too large and bulky, but it is more a first test of the concept for me. If I will detect a way to reduce the size, I will use it.

Code has been reworked for supporting any thinkable BattleTech vessel by just picking different components inside a special vessel class (and special DLL).

Since the supported crew simulation is about to grow a lot beyond what UMMU itself supports, it is possible that I will drop UMMU/UCGO support pretty early in development. The crew simulation is based on the CBT Roleplaying game, I have a few more statistics than just age, job and heartbeat.