Question [Blender] How to get object orientation vectors (global frame) ?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm trying to get orientation vectors from a Blender object so that I can use them for animations in Orbiter.

The problem is : how to get "absolute" orientation values in Blender ? What the "Rotation" gizmo shows makes little sense. Is there a script to download or something ? :unsure:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Pick (or place) 2 points along the axis you want, and calculate the difference between them: a vector along that axis. Then you only need to normalize it.

Jordan

Reaction score
I'm trying to get orientation vectors from a Blender object so that I can use them for animations in Orbiter.

The problem is : how to get "absolute" orientation values in Blender ? What the "Rotation" gizmo shows makes little sense. Is there a script to download or something ? :unsure:

Do you mean the vector of the rotation axis?
If Yes then this Script may help you.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Actually I created a custom transform orientation for my object, then created a camera and aligned it with that orientation... seems to work.

Jordan

Reaction score
I did it similar to this until I found this script (addon). I just need a face that points in the desired direction and have the values immediately. At the end i need to swap the y and z values

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Swapping y & z is always necessary, that's because Orbiter is based on a left-handed coordinates system, and Blender on a right-handed one..