Updates Boeing's CST-100 Starliner

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Is Boeing doing Agile software development or something - shipping minimally functioning software and letting the customer beta test it in the field? That's no bueno in human spaceflight. NASA needs to lift the lid and check them over.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is Boeing doing Agile software development or something - shipping minimally functioning software and letting the customer beta test it in the field? That's no bueno in human spaceflight. NASA needs to lift the lid and check them over.

If it would be agile software development, the resulting software artifact would be tested....

Especially if they would be doing Continuous Delivery. (Which you want to do as developer, for your own sanity and health)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Unfortunately, if the media gets involved with this, and start raising doubt about the entire manned program, the bureaucrats are gonna probably demand an investigation, which will stop the whole show. JMHO

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
NASA has basically admitted that they don't trust Boeing to be honest and transparent about any issues with Starliner, especially software.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/02/boeings-starliner-problems-may-be-worse-than-we-thought/

Do you blame them? They covered up two serious issues because they said they had "fixed them", never mind that these issues occurred on orbit.

It's like the pre-challenger and pre-columbia days of NASA, the normalisation of deviance.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
It's like the pre-challenger and pre-columbia days of NASA, the normalisation of deviance.
Actually, looking at this and also the 737 issues, it looks like Boeing has cut both the "testing" and the "reliability" corners of their systems, in order to meet temporal or financial deadlines, or both.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Actually, looking at this and also the 737 issues, it looks like Boeing has cut both the "testing" and the "reliability" corners of their systems, in order to meet temporal or financial deadlines, or both.

This is precisely the problem. And short of a wholesale replacement of the company's entire management structure and taking the company off the stock market... it's going to continue to remain a major problem.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
This is precisely the problem. And short of a wholesale replacement of the company's entire management structure and taking the company off the stock market... it's going to continue to remain a major problem.

They fired the CEO sometime after the flight... and gave him $62M... :facepalm:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Sometimes it's better to fire a CEO -and give them their contracted money- than to keep them -and give them their contracted money-

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Boeing Dropped The Ball Again - And NASA Let Them
Critically, the panel learned early this month that Boeing did not perform a full, end-to-end integrated test of Starliner in a Systems Integration Lab with ULA's Atlas V rocket.
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2020/02/boeing-dropped.html

(the original article is geo-blocked for Europe)

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Wow.... just... wow... :(
The more I think about it I wish Sierra Nevada and SpaceX would have won the contracts. I mean I wish they won to begin with, but I wonder if it would have resulted in better spacecraft overall. Boeing has always been a powerhouse, but they are relying on a tradidtion of reliability that is decades old. Proven? Yes. Proven recently? No. Apollo's last assembly was decades ago.

We all knew that SpaceX would be under a microscope, and that Elon's predictions would slip to the right. Dreamchaser would have been no different (I don't believe). And I really do want to see the BOR-4/HL-20/Dreamchaser to fly.

I do think this will result in a better capsule/spacecraft. But it's something that shouldn't have happened. Boeing should receive the same scrutiny as SpaceX, the "proven" history is a thing of the past. Particularly with an all new design.

Just my $0.02

Boeing Dropped The Ball Again - And NASA Let Them
Critically, the panel learned early this month that Boeing did not perform a full, end-to-end integrated test of Starliner in a Systems Integration Lab with ULA's Atlas V rocket.
http://nasawatch.com/archives/2020/02/boeing-dropped.html

(the original article is geo-blocked for Europe)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Boeing should have been receiving similar scrutiny anyways, regardless of "legacy"... and especially after the MAX crashes.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Boeing should have been receiving similar scrutiny anyways, regardless of "legacy"... and especially after the MAX crashes.

"Legacy" is always a reason to panic. Does somebody remember the first flight of the Ariane 5? Legacy software.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Do you think Boeing would take some advice from SpaceX ? :rofl:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Do you think Boeing would take some advice from SpaceX ? :rofl:

Nope. I think they "suffer" the same institutional arrogance that all mega-corporations have.

Last edited:

Caracal

Reaction score
not putting a lot of faith in Boeing's software, seeing their corporate practices in hiring coders and engineers trying to maximize profit