Software BSOD caused by ntkrnlmp.exe

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Well, you guys all know the deal from the random comments thread. As I said there the closest thing I can find to ntkrnlmp.exe is ntkrnlpa.exe is Windows\SysWOW64.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Well my computer often (On average around 3-4 times a week, but it seems to have been getting worse) get the BSOD, opening the dump files in WinDbg says that the likely cause is ntkrnlmp.exe, which I have been told is located in System32, but I don't seem to have such a file on my computer anywhere at all, I don't know if the fact that I am missing this file is the cause, but I have my suspicions.

RS-232

No!
Reaction score
Website
piv.pivpiv.dk
Well my computer often (On average around 3-4 times a week, but it seems to have been getting worse) get the BSOD, opening the dump files in WinDbg says that the likely cause is ntkrnlmp.exe, which I have been told is located in System32, but I don't seem to have such a file on my computer anywhere at all, I don't know if the fact that I am missing this file is the cause, but I have my suspicions.
I have looked for the file myself in Win7,searched the whole drive. It is not there. (folder options are unchecked for hidden and system) So I have been reading up on this issue. I am not sure but I think mine was a memory compatibly issue that required a updated Flash of my motherboard. I need to know some things? I would be willing to bet that it is a ram memory issue.
1: Is your computer a laptop or desktop?
2: What is the exact error code listed on BSOD This can help to narrow it down
3: If your computer is a desktop do both memory modules (Ram) match? Are they different brands possibly?
4: get the exact model of motherboard and look on manufactures site for a bios upgrade file. (Do not attempt to flash or upgrade your bios on your motherboard unless you know what you are doing and have read ALL the instructions. This method could make your motherboard useless and unbootable if you make a mistake!)
5: If you have RAM,CPU,Graphics overclocked undo this and put back to default
6: Have you or anybody else added new hardware to the system recently? How old is the computer and what make and model

Last edited:

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
I have looked for the file myself in Win7,searched the whole drive. It is not there.
Oh thank you so much, you don't know how relieving that is to hear. :lol:

1: Is your computer a laptop or desktop?
Desktop.

2: What is the exact error code listed on BSOD This can help to narrow it down
I posted these in the Random Comments Thread, is this the correct information?
KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
*** STOP: 0X0000007A (0XFFFFF6FC0001A498, 0XFFFFFFFFC0000185,0X0000000075E088860,0XFFFFF8000 3493B80)
3: If your computer is a desktop do both memory modules (Ram) match? Are they different brands possibly?
Both RAM sticks are the ones originally packaged in my PC and are the same model.
4: get the exact model of motherboard and look on manufactures site for a bios upgrade file. (Do not attempt to flash or upgrade your bios on your motherboard unless you know what you are doing and have read ALL the instructions. This method could make your motherboard useless and unbootable if you make a mistake!)
:blink: I hope it doesn't come to that.
5: If you have RAM,CPU,Graphics overclocked undo this and put back to default.
I've never wanted to risk clocking, so this is definitely not the issue.
:cheers:

Edit:
6: Have you or anybody else added new hardware to the system recently? How old is the computer and what make and model
The only hardware I've added to the computer is a 1Tb hardrive and a new GPU, but I have had the same problem before I installed these. The computer is a Medion MD8390, and it's about two or three years old.

Last edited:

RS-232

No!
Reaction score
Website
piv.pivpiv.dk
Ok desktop that is good. Now this next step is going to take a little effort on your part.
I want you to take off the cover on the computer case and look on the motherboard for bad capacitors they should be flat on top not leaking split or bulging on top at all. Please look at the following link and compare
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sugexp=kjrmc&cp=12&gs_id=3&xhr=t&q=ntkrnlmp.exe&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1440&bih=775&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=bad+capacitor&pbx=1&oq=bad+cAP&aq=0&aqi=g6g-S4&aql=1&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=11927l13238l0l16331l7l7l0l0l0l0l192l724l3.4l7l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=9c0526aa666922b5&biw=1440&bih=775
If you see bad "caps" this is your problem. If not then I need make and model of the motherboard to continue further
This is how GOOD caps look http://www.seb.me.uk/static/dell-transistor-good.jpg

Last edited:

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
All my capacitors check out, might take me a while to get back to you on the make/model though.

RS-232

No!
Reaction score
Website
piv.pivpiv.dk
All my capacitors check out, might take me a while to get back to you on the make/model though.
Ok caps are good. I went to the site and looked up medion md8390 and found nothing so I need you to find what they call a MSN number so we can see if they have a bios update and if so what issues that update addresses
http://www.medion.com/au/service/_lightbox/msn.php
EDIT: It is 12:45 am here so I am going to have to get some sleep I will check this thread around 8:00 am. And you are sure all your fans are working and nothing is overheating right?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And I thought Medion (The in-house electronics brand of Aldi) is only selling in Germany. :lol:

DATA_INPAGE_ERRORS are a strong sign of memory corruption, I would recommend you to do a memory test first. These can take a while until the error appears again, but are sometimes able to help finding the bad module.

If it is memory corruption, you need to get new memory modules - if you still have warranty on the computer, let Medion fix this, instead of spending a lot of money for new modules, especially if you have no idea what modules causes it.

Another way to cause such errors is typical electronics fall-out: Overheating, dust, bad soldering. The first things can be addressed, the third is generally impossible to fix unless you are lucky and capable of really precise SMD soldering (about 99% of all people who know how to solder are not precise enough).

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
And I thought Medion (The in-house electronics brand of Aldi) is only selling in Germany. :lol:
No, we have Aldi here too.

I'll give a memory test a go, although I'm pretty sure I've tried this before, and get back to you soon. :cheers:

Edit:The memory test didn't find anything wrong.

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
What memory test did you use?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
And how long did you run it for?

To do a proper RAM test you need to run it for several hours. Quite often RAM failures won't show up in a simple test. You need to stress the machine to get them to appear.

Personally I'd use memtest86 and leave it running overnight.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
What memory test did you use?
I used the memory test that you start by running mdsched.

And how long did you run it for?

To do a proper RAM test you need to run it for several hours. Quite often RAM failures won't show up in a simple test. You need to stress the machine to get them to appear.

Personally I'd use memtest86 and leave it running overnight.
I very much doubt that it will last through the night, but I'll give it a go.\

Edit: Wait, so for memtest86, I have to burn it to a disc and boot it from BIOS?

Last edited:

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
enter your MSN number on this page and goto drivers http://www.medion.com/au/service/start/_product.php There is a Bios update addressing USB issues. But before doing that try the other drivers first. The Bios update if it fails will void your warranty so use at your own risk. Ill be back on in about a hour or so
It's getting late here, I'm getting off now, thanks for the help guys, I'll try some of the suggestions tomorrow. :cheers:

RS-232

No!
Reaction score
Website
piv.pivpiv.dk

DATA_INPAGE_ERRORS are a strong sign of memory corruption, I would recommend you to do a memory test first. These can take a while until the error appears again, but are sometimes able to help finding the bad module.

If it is memory corruption, you need to get new memory modules - if you still have warranty on the computer, let Medion fix this, instead of spending a lot of money for new modules, especially if you have no idea what modules causes it.

Another way to cause such errors is typical electronics fall-out: Overheating, dust, bad soldering. The first things can be addressed, the third is generally impossible to fix unless you are lucky and capable of really precise SMD soldering (about 99% of all people who know how to solder are not precise enough).
I agree with Urwumpe. When you start the computer and hit F8 repeatedly before it gets to windows logo you will see a menu that gives you an option for a memory check. (Mine passed also, it was a compatibility issue with certain brands of memory that required the Bios update) If the memory passes then I would Try the other drivers first then the bios update last. If that computer is still under warranty then you may just want to send it to them and let them figure it out. If this is not an option just make sure you follow the instructions on the page regarding the bios update (make sure you back up the original first and put the file on something other then just the hard drive. (ie usb flash drive) In case of failure you will have the original bios to revert it back to if need be.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Edit: Wait, so for memtest86, I have to burn it to a disc and boot it from BIOS?

Yes, and before you void your warranty, better do that first.

But BIOS updates don't void warranty, the good old IBM PC trial applies there, and this is still the base for all court decisions about warranty for computers.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I used the memory test that you start by running mdsched.

I very much doubt that it will last through the night, but I'll give it a go.\

Yup. Do that, run the standard tests (it starts running tests right away), then punch in a bit fade test and leave it churning away. It'll put your RAM through its paces far better than any other test I've used.

The advantage to booting from it is that you're able to test areas of the memory you otherwise wouldn't, and memtest itself is very small in the RAM (and iirc it relocates itself to test the bits beneath it). Plus of course it can be a useful diagnostic if things get so bad you can't boot to OS...

Its only downside is a tendency to loop round and you lose the errors it finds, so be sure to check on it from time to time.

Tommy

Reaction score
Another possibility is that the power supply is slightly under-performing. A slightly failing PS can manifest as any number of problems - including what will appear to be a memory failure. Store bought PC's tend to have very cheap power supplies, and it's not at all unusual for them to degrade.

If you have access to a multimeter it's not hard to check a PS. There should be a diagram on the PS showing the voltages for the various colored wires - otherwise check the manual or internet. Be advised that some PC makers don't use the standard layyout or color codes (to force you to buy replacements from them).

Test the voltages while the computer is on, and doing something intensive such as rendering video, or running a benchmark. The 5 volt line will often be as low as 4.75 volts, and that's not usually a problem - the 12 volt will often be over 13v, also not a problem. Other voltages should be within 10% of rated.

If you pass the voltage check, it's a good idea to test for "ripple". You will want an analog (needle) meter for this as the sample rate on digital meters can cause problems. To test for ripple, use the lowest AC setting on the meter and test each voltage. You should get no voltage (or extremely little), any significant voltage indicates that the filter caps are failing and the PS needs to be replaced.

I'd suggest checking the PS if you pass the memtest.