Building a simpit

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
This stuff
TipsFoamCore3.jpg

---------- Post added 12-03-10 at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-02-10 at 09:32 PM ----------

I just took some measurements in my basement. I have about 6 feet of vertical space and a 10 foot circumference to work with. I'll do some research and work in a design in Sketch Up.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
If anyone is familiar with Sketch Up, can you help me? I can't quite figure out how to model the hyperbola like shape of the SA (reentry module).

Edit: I think that I've figured it out. I took off the bottom meter of the SA, because it is just equipment. I'll have the first 1.25 meters of the module be a frustum, then the top half meter will be dome with the top removed for the hatch.
Edit 2: Oh, wait, that's inconsistent...

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Hmmm, this 3D modeling will take much longer than expected.

Last edited:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
This SketchUp model is too difficult, I'm not sure how I'll model it. In all honesty, I have no skill in Anim8or, and I find SketchUp to be much more user friendly. If anyone has some skill with it, can you please help me with modeling the unique shape of the Soyuz?

Thank you

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
First, sorry for making the fourth post in a row.
For now, I'll wait to design the actual mockup. I'm not sure how necessary a 3D model is anyway. So that leads me to panel design.

I'll make a panel out of drywall or a similar material. I'll spray paint it and give a finish so it will look and feel like the real soyuz panel. I will label the switches and other inputs with decals.

I plan a two joystick setup, one for each seat, just so it's a simpler design than separate rotation and translation controllers.

Then I will have two screens. One will be the default generic orbiter screen, the other just MFDs. This leads me to a few questions.

How hard is it to set up two monitors with orbiter, then designate them?
Can I use touchscreens in orbiter?

I'm not even sure if I want touchscreens, they seem kinda pricey, and not all that realistic. I'll probably just use a mouse and laptop monitors.

Edit: So I just took a look. I have 1 VGA, 1 S-Video, and 1 DVI output on my graphics card. I'll have to go to the store and buy an adapter. AFAIK VGA-DVI adapters are dirt cheap. How much will running with my display concept tax the framerate?

Last edited:

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'll make a panel out of drywall or a similar material. I'll spray paint it and give a finish so it will look and feel like the real soyuz panel. I will label the switches and other inputs with decals.
I suggest not using drywall. It is really messy. 1/8" hardboard (Masonite) and/or 1/4" MDF have worked well for me as the basic panels. If mounting switches and lights, I found 1/4" was too thick for many of them so I made separate removable panels of the thinner material in those cases. I also use 1/8" acrylic for panels I backlight.

How hard is it to set up two monitors with orbiter, then designate them?
Can I use touchscreens in orbiter?
Orbiter can make use of multiple monitors and touchscreens (touchscreen is just mouse emlation). There are caveats, so search the simpit and hardware forums for examples. Just set them up in Windows to span the desktop with both monitors.

I'm not even sure if I want touchscreens, they seem kinda pricey, and not all that realistic. I'll probably just use a mouse and laptop monitors.

How much will running with my display concept tax the framerate?
You will see a framerate hit when using dual monitors for Orbiter. I have used one monitor for the Orbiter main view and another one for MFDs, and with the MFDs up the framerate is cut in half. Several threads have discussed this.

HTH and good luck with it.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Alright, thanks. I'll look into more advanced graphics cards and other ways to boost my framerate. I also hope to try running dual monitors within the next week. I just picked up a DVI-VGA adapter at the store.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Ok, I just used my second monitor set up, it worked. I'll post some pics later. It worked nicely with the MFDs in one monitor and the screen in the other. It kinda felt like the arrow freighter. It sucked my frame rate, but that was anticipated.
Edit: I just tried running it in fullscreen, too. The frame rate was much better.
Edit 2: So if I actually wanna build this thing, I'll have to figure out what computer I should use. I have 3 options:
-My old Gateway (Windows 98 hardware, built in 1999)
-My Dell that my parents gave me when they upgraded to Windows 7 (XP hardware, built in 2005, also my main PC)
-Getting a whole new computer

They each have pros and cons

Gateway:
Pros
-No new computer needed
-Designated purpose
Cons
-Old
-Hard to upgrade parts

Dell:
Pros
-Only minor upgrades needed
-Cheapest option, no new computer
Cons
-Not purpose designated

New Computer:
Pros
-Purpose built and designated
-Custom Design
Cons
-Expensive

Last edited:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Sorry for making all these posts in a row, but here's a few pics.

Giant MFD, I used the whole monitor for one MFD. I have it as an attachment. I would post both as pictures, but imageshack has a cut off point for file size.

Also, I have Four MFDs working normally instead of just two.

I can even see non-simpit applications of this, such as mission control type settings if you can get together with friends who fly orbiter.

I hope to upload my photos in a few minutes.

Attachments

• giantmfd.jpg
    giantmfd.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 4mfd.jpg
    4mfd.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 48

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Here are the photos

The "Window" view
1002246c.jpg

The Whole thing
1002248y.jpg

4 MFDs
1002249.jpg

Giant MFD
1002247i.jpg

It's fair to say that I've made the first step (outside of drawing and writing up plans) in the creation of the simpit. It's unlikely that I'll use either monitors or even that CPU in the actual pit, but still. Running dual monitors feels pretty great.

Edit: Am I the only one with a problem viewing the photos?

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Edit: Am I the only one with a problem viewing the photos?

You posted links to pages where those photos are, and not direct links to the images.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Alright, should be working now. Thanks.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
So I've decided to get back on this project again, and I hopefully will finish it by the end of summer 2011. I've decided to follow this outline

I. Planning

A. Panel Layout
B. Cabin/Mockup Design
C. Computer System/Wiring Design

II. Construction

A. Panel/Wiring Setup
B. Mockup Construction
C. Integrating panel/computer into mockup

So my first step along this plan is to make a design for my panel is MS paint or something, after I decide on which switches & such I want.

Edit: Here's a basic design of my panel's layout:
basiclayout.png

I plan to put these switches in:
-Autopilots
-ROT-TRANS-OFF
-Engine Cover
-BO Depressurization
-Module Separation
-Ballistic Reentry Activate
-Un-Dock
-Abort

In the image, by "Environmental Controls" I basically mean just lights and fans that I plan to add just to make the mockup more comfortable.

I'm also using a 2:1 height:width formula on the panel.

Last edited:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Just a few questions:
-Can I wire switches to do commands that normally are cycled? For example, instead of having to press "H" on a keyboard, I want to set up a knob with the HUD modes programmed. I plan to use an external encoder.
-How hard are those encoders to figure out? I have almost no experience in electronics or programming.

Thank You!

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just a few questions:
-Can I wire switches to do commands that normally are cycled? For example, instead of having to press "H" on a keyboard, I want to set up a knob with the HUD modes programmed. I plan to use an external encoder.
-How hard are those encoders to figure out? I have almost no experience in electronics or programming.

Thank You!
Off the shelf encoders are not hard to use at all; they're normally USB devices that act as either a gamepad or keyboard. So depending on the type of encoder you can wire a switch as a key, telling the encoder which key you want it to be, or as a gamepad/joystick button and use joy2key to 'map' the button press to a key press. I haven't used it, but you could probably use LUA to map the button directly to the Orbiter command you desire.

You'll learn how to solder, and take your first step into programming.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Here's a more complex panel layout. Again, I am using a 2:1 ratio.
complexlayout.png

Also, I've attached a PDF which has lists of the switches I plan to use. I based it off of my experience with the soyuz from Thorton's ISS. I have two lists in the file, one based off of the command type, and another based on the type of switch I will use. The list is subject to change.

Attachments

• switches.pdf
    72.9 KB · Views: 49