Building OpenOrbiter Documentation

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ahhhhhh... how did you include Lua, as subproject as expected?
You are asking me? I have not the slightest idea :D ...
Actually I have a slight idea: I think it' a subproject, as git keeps nagging about 'subprojects' in .\Extern from time to time...

Lua expects that a target is defined, a target Lua and that has a subproject with the target exe.
"a target"? What exactly do you mean by that? And to be honest, I can't make any sense out of that sentence (not your fault, I just don't understand what to do)

I think the documentation on how to build the documentation is lacking some details 🤷

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"a target"? What exactly do you mean by that? 🤷

"Build target" in the sense of a series of source files and dependencies that get compiled and linked into a new artifact.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
That's exactly what is not being "collected" by ...is it CMake, Ninja, somethingelse...
I guess this is something that currently is broken - at least for "native" Windows developers, using the Visual Studio built-in CMake/Ninja/whatever-Toolchain
It is however not a thing that should be accepted - Documentation is vital! ...although nobody likes to write 'em :D

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have never tried to build the documentation but somehow it feels like mixing cmake and git into the build process complicates things a lot. Would it be easier to build it locally and then commit the missing (pre-build) documentation to a repository.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ah those good old days :D ...
But still currently it seems that even building it locally is something I'm unable to do 😭

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I have never tried to build the documentation but somehow it feels like mixing cmake and git into the build process complicates things a lot. Would it be easier to build it locally and then commit the missing (pre-build) documentation to a repository.

That CAN be done, but is considered rather bad practice for various reasons. Industry standard is using a build server (Jenkins, Bamboo, etc) and automatically generate the documentation there.

Also I don't see git in the mix there. Its just CMake and Lua. But this Lua also seems to be used by the LDoc, I hope not....

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The TeX stuff wouldn't be the end of the world to have to build manually....if we were just doing it once for a release. But I would really prefer the Doxgen stuff build with the Orbiter build.

Are people able to build docs locally (automaticialy), but not with the GitHub CI? Am I reading that correctly?

I'm not able to build then at all, we'll I guess, except manually. But that's not ideal.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I have nothing to add to this conversation except to say I look forward to being able to RTFM for OpenOrbiter. Good luck! :cheers:

Sword7

Reaction score
Yeah. I did try to build documents on Windows. Yes, it needs to update some with latest version of Tex-Live and MikTex package. Linux support them so that needs some updates for Linux as well.

Also, I noticed one of documents are not created for PDF because it is not finished. Also I noticed some missing technotes like horizon reference frame, etc.

I figured them out and was able split horizon frame matrix (go.R) into simple Z-axis and Y-axis matrices that should be documented.

Tim

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
The 2016 Orbiterconfig.pdf states that vessel .cfgs accept legacy tochdown points which is erroneous.
Does it accept the new points? And what would the syntax be?