Question Buying a netbook

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
My past few months have been characterized by increasing frustration with this failing, aging laptop and a clunky set up that makes it hard to move to where I prefer to study. I've decided to solve this by getting a netbook to use solely for school purposes (yes I know tablets are the way of the future, but a netbook meets my needs more closely).

I'm not planning on using it for any intense tasks, just web browsing, programming, word processing and CAS (currently I use Maxima, I might switch to MathCad, Mathematica or Matlab if I need to for class). Does anyone have a recommendation of which one I should buy or which brands I should stick to? My price range is open to anything around or under $200.

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
well if Android have some equivalent of those programs, I can recommend the ASUS Transformers series, if not, the Vivabook from that manufacturer combines both world in quite the affordable package, although I won't commend it for its processing power. IF you need both mobility and power absolutely, then the new Surface Pro series from Microsoft will be the better fit, although with a hefty pricetag attached to it.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
It looks like you need quite some calculation power (not sure because I don't know the programs but it looks like it), so are you sure you want a netbook, especially with a $200 budget? Word processing won't be a problem, but I'm afraid coding (read: compiling) for example will.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
My recommendation is always Dell Outlet's refurbished laptops with a 20-30% coupon on top. Their refurbished laptops are good as new but much cheaper.
They currently have summer deals up to 30% off.
I think you're still going to have to raise your budget though.
For $340, after 25% off coupon code and $25 tax, I got an Inspiron 15 with an i3-3227U and 6GB of RAM.
I haven't actually had to download CAD, Matlab, etc yet though. I just remote desktop into the campus computer lab. :p

gertz

Reaction score
Anything but with Intel GMA 3600 inside - it is the only worst case.

movieman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have a Transformer and wasn't that impressed with it; the keyboard dock seems like a good idea until you try to use it, then it wants to topple over all the time because all the weight is in the tablet.

I don't think you can buy netbooks any more, because I tried to find one when the keyboard on ours broke last year, and ended up just buying a replacement keyboard. But there are a number of reasonably cheap 11-12" laptops which will do the same job.