Humor Calvin and Hobbes

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Haven't seen this yet, but pretty funny. A strange coincidence because in my AP European History class at school we did the reformation recently and now we're studying the Enlightenment.

edsupagood

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I love Calvin and Hobbes :rofl:

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
I've yet to meet a person that doesn't like Calvin and Hobbes. It's a pretty hard comic to dislike.

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score
Just found [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4202"]Spaceman Spiff[/ame] on OrbitHangar. I wish tomorrow wasn't monday...

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
i have the calvin and hobbes cllection books...kinda wish that it was still in the daily papaer

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Calvin and Hobbes, I think Hobbes is the old name for the Devil, and Calvin is a Protestant(overseas)?

No offence, N.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Calvin and Hobbes, I think Hobbes is the old name for the Devil, and Calvin is a Protestant(overseas)?

No offence, N.

They are both names of philosophers (Thomas Hobbes and John Calvin), and the characters are named for much the same reason the characters in Lost were named after philosophers and other famous people -- it just sounds interesting in a "where have I heard that before?" way.

There is plenty of thoughtful meaning in the strip, but trying to shoehorn it all into the respective philosophies and religious beliefs of the namesakes does a great injustice to Watterson and the strip. If you haven't, find it somewhere and read from beginning to end. I would be surprised if you did not find it a treat.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I love C&H and read them each morning (along with dilbert, uf, xkcd and a few others) when I get into the office. Plus, it's getting to winter so time for calvin's snowmen :)

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I have about 10 books of them and it's really AESOME.
Sometimes I wonder, wy they aren't in the papers anymore... :(

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I read a long time ago, that the publisher put too demanding deadlines, that bill waterson quit

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I read a long time ago, that the publisher put too demanding deadlines, that bill waterson quit
Not really. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Waterson#End_of_Calvin_and_Hobbes:

Dear Reader:

I will be stopping Calvin and Hobbes at the end of the year. This was not a recent or an easy decision, and I leave with some sadness. My interests have shifted, however, and I believe I've done what I can do within the constraints of daily deadlines and small panels. I am eager to work at a more thoughtful pace, with fewer artistic compromises. I have not yet decided on future projects, but my relationship with Universal Press Syndicate will continue.

That so many newspapers would carry Calvin and Hobbes is an honor I'll long be proud of, and I've greatly appreciated your support and indulgence over the last decade. Drawing this comic strip has been a privilege and a pleasure, and I thank you for giving me the opportunity.

Sincerely,
Bill Watterson

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder, wy they aren't in the papers anymore... :(

Honestly, I have to agree with the decision to pull Calvin from papers.

Watterson said that he "didn't want to run the wheels off" with "the same old thing." Childhood is a gold mine for funny or weird ideas, but it gets repetitive after a while.

Calvin stayed six for the entire time the strip ran. All the while his relationships with other characters never changed. Once all of their little peeves have been abused, Calvin didn't grow up. He couldn't.

I don't think Calvin was all too strange for a six year old boy (albeit perhaps with undiagnosed ADHD). He's been around for just long enough to see the world as it is, but not quite old enough to understand it. Thus, he imagines insane, epic adventures that seem all right in themselves, if you don't understand how things work.

We were all Calvin at one time or another, and we all grew up. Life would get boring if we stayed six all of our lives. Calvin made a good run, and stretched one year into a decade.

Calvin did not 'end' in a sense that the strip curled up and died. There will always be adventurous little kids, and we were all once adventurous little kids, so the strip connects to everyone, decades later.

TL;DR? The strip reflected real life, and real life doesn't last forever.

EDIT: It's probably a bad thing that I have such a connection to a comic strip...

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
its not bad, irl im pretty much calvin... always had that 'friend' that was always there, always had that one person who got under your skin, but turns out, its a love hate relationship. We all are calvin, in our own special way

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
albeit perhaps with undiagnosed ADHD
I really hate the 'put a label on everything/everyone' mentality that the world has got into these days. I basically see ADHD an 'being a kid/teenager'. "Inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity are the key behaviors of ADHD." <-- that reads to me as 'teenager'.