Question Can a texture change during a scenario at a particular point

richfororbit

Reaction score
Hi,

I imagine this may be possible, can some scripting change a texture of a file to a replacement at a certain time in a scenario?

Is there example code around?

ghostrunner01

Reaction score
If memory serves, the AMSO addon's capsule changed textures after reentry so the capability is there. The question is whether or not the AMSO guys had to basically hack the texture change in since I do not believe Orbiter natively supports that ability. Unfortunately, AMSO is not open source (atleast to the limit of my google-fu) so I can't find any example code.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
It is tricky but possible, what specifically do you have in mind?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Another option is to replace the mesh, this is what some addons do for separation type sequences but they needs either something like SC3 or coding.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes. On my Lost In Spaces Pod. I had a button that would change red to green based on a key command. It just changed red texture for a green texture

richfororbit

Reaction score
Yes. On my Lost In Spaces Pod. I had a button that would change red to green based on a key command. It just changed red texture for a green texture

That seems interesting.

I was thinking about the STS missions, the particular flight with Commander Young and his crew member Robert Crippen. The OMS pods were missing a few tiles.

I did some editing using the colour/color of the area of the missing tile, and just scaled it in Photoshop. I then just place it over a few tiles they are actually on them, ofcourse they mirror to the other. But that doesn't matter.

I was just thinking that this new MGAtlantis exterior texture could load at a particular point in the launch scenario or with the use of key programmed to load that texture once it came to opening the Payload doors.

It isn't anything exciting, just a historical apperance fact.

I got the idea due to noticing somebody actually made that ET tank now so notably with that mission.

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 15

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
The texture definition is at the end of the each msh-file:
TEXTURES 1
my_texture.dds

The easiest way to implement a texture change would be to provide two geometrically identical meshes with different textures. When it is time for a change the old mesh is deleted and the other mesh is displayed. For the user it looks like as if only the texture has changed.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The texture definition is at the end of the each msh-file:
TEXTURES 1
my_texture.dds

The easiest way to implement a texture change would be to provide two geometrically identical meshes with different textures. When it is time for a change the old mesh is deleted and the other mesh is displayed. For the user it looks like as if only the texture has changed.
Another way, which we use in SSU to set the texture on the orbiter and ET, is oapiSetTexture.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
can some scripting change a texture of a file to a replacement at a certain time in a scenario?

I don't know if it's possible via script, but it's no problem in a dll the way DaveS suggested.

richfororbit

Reaction score
The easiest way for this effect is to just place in the file, and obviously launch entirely from the first person view or inside the flight deck, and the effect is created due to seeing the damage on the orbiter once past OMS 2 for Payload opening as it would of happened on that mission.

But as a way of giving the Launch scenario a more dynamic feel on occasion into a launch it would be a tad more interesting if there was a automated command given to load in another MGAtlantis DSS file with those new changes to it.:cool:

I'm not knowledgable in the know how on how to make this possible, if anyone is interested, I can upload this modified shuttle texture. I even typed up a different name on it.:p

The highest orbit during that historic mission was 156. The technical stuff is different from some web pages than the actual film. I think the film said four burns were done for begining of the mission.

Attachments

• missingtiles.JPG
    missingtiles.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: