can anyone help

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Richard,

May I suggest this tutorial from Jarmonik's website. You will need to ignore "The Launch" section because that is not applicable for Apollo (I am assuming that you have already launched the LM and docked with the CSM).

Also, can you get from the Moon to Earth using the default Deltaglider? If not, try following the above tutorial with it instead. I understand you want to use AMSO or NASSP but for understanding the orbital mechanics involved, using a Deltaglider will be a lot more forgiving of your mistakes. You can always come back and try with an Apollo vehicle.

If you do the above, I can try and help answer specific questions about problems you are having with the tutorial. You may need to post scenario files and screenshots of IMFD.

richard1967

Reaction score
thanks nuked

Hi Nuked, that would help a great deal. It's just that I'm trying to get back from the moon, I'm in orbit after a sucessful mission but getting back is eluding me. I just don't know which IMFD procedure to use and how to do it. I know I should be reading the manual which I am, but, it's a long process and I just want to be able to do the moon missions sucessfully, then I can learn the mechanics later. I've seen posts before saying its easy but they are not very clear about the way its done and they are not step by step. I just need some help and I would be very grateful.

R:cheers:ichard

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Hi Nuked, that would help a great deal. It's just that I'm trying to get back from the moon, I'm in orbit after a sucessful mission but getting back is eluding me. I just don't know which IMFD procedure to use and how to do it. I know I should be reading the manual which I am, but, it's a long process and I just want to be able to do the moon missions sucessfully, then I can learn the mechanics later. I've seen posts before saying its easy but they are not very clear about the way its done and they are not step by step. I just need some help and I would be very grateful.

R:cheers:ichard

Your welcome.

But it is spelled NukeET

Now I now how Simonpro feels.;)

richard1967

Reaction score
Hi tblaxland the tutorial did help. i can return to earth but i keep skipping off the atmosphere. When i undock the S.M and turn retrograde it wont reenter i've uploaded a pic
and NukeEt sorry about getting your name wrong

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 8

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You need a final course correction a few hours before reentry - as you can see in the map, your periapsis altitude (PeA) is 175 km - that is your closest approach to earth. You don't pass entry interface at all (which is at 120 km altitude).

In the left MFD, switch the page (PG) and activate the burn view (BV). Execute burn manually or use Autoburn (AB)

richard1967

Reaction score
Hi just tried that still skipping off. Once you get close can you use the base approach for reentry ?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Just turn retrograde just a little before you reach Earth. Lower your PeA to about 100km and it should work. By the Way, I use NASSP so I would like to know the same thing as Richard1967. I know this tutorial is for AMSO but NASSP has panels and things like that. So which tutorial should I use?

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
"Like a stone skipping across the pond...."

richard1967 - I avoided Earth re-entry for the longest time for the same reason you're experiencing now. For me, it's a lot easier landing on the Moon.

Base Approach MFD for re-entry does help, but I find visualizing/understanding your trajectory makes it easier. When you burn retrograde and get your orbital path to drop "below" the surface, try pulling up your Map MFD and notice that there's a little dot ahead of your current position. This indicates where you'd land if you can keep from skipping off the atmosphere.

If you can get your trajectory right, and burn off the velocity you need to, I find that the Orbit MFD and Map MFD give me better approach results than Re-entry MFD or Base Synch. But it reflects my own comfort in flying by the seat of my pants than relying on autopilots.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hi just tried that still skipping off. Once you get close can you use the base approach for reentry ?

Just reenter retrograde. From the manual:

AERODYNAMIC LIFT

You can apply aerodynamic lift when you enter into atmosphere. ATTENTION, LIFT APPLY ONLY ON THE PITCH AXIS. This lift allows you to control your entry path within a certain limit. Note that vertical lift, also allow reducing dynamic pressure, which is MANDATORY to survive in most of direct abort reentry.

Practically, this means you must orient the vessel retrograde and level (you must see the Earth under you). You can read the AOA on the Orbiter "surface" instrument or on the mini-panel in Virtual cockpit. With this attitude, you can apply maximum positive lift with an AOA of -148 degrees and a maximum negative lift with an AOA of 148 degrees. If you also bank left or right, you can apply laterally a part of the lift, to also modify your trajectory to the left or to the right. Attention! AOA (and Yaw axis too) lower than 120/-120 degrees may simply kill you, because you will lose the thermal shield protection!!!

To apply lift, it is recommended to use the joystick, which will allow you to maintain a precise AOA, while the increasing aerodynamic effect on the capsule will counter-act more and more your action. KILLROT is automatically applied when you return the command to neutral. This feature facilitates a lot of the control of the vessel attitude.

For a normal entry, you can stay in the Orbiter retrograde navigation mode. If you want to modify your trajectory, be careful to not apply too much lift too soon, or you may re-bounce off the atmosphere. In the case your entry angle is too small and your afraid of re-bouncing off the atmosphere, you may perhaps save the situation by applying NEGATIVE lift.

As already mentioned, for launch abort mode 2 & 3 (see previous chapter), YOU MUST APPLY LIFT. Even FULL-LIFT (-148 degrees) at the beginning is required to keep the dynamic pressure within the admissible range. Remember, over 250 kPa, you will be dead !

So, just keep the AOA good, and bank around.