Project Carl Sagan Space Center (Banaba Island)

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
In the mean time I've built personel living quarters.

town02.jpg

town03.jpg

town04.jpg

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Loru, comes in the future a launch complex for manned rocket-launched spacecrafts or not?

Well - yeah

Small launch complex (with tower) suitable for 4 meter wide rockets

thl01.jpg

Main launch complex (here empty but I'm making few different towers for it)

thl02.jpg

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Since it's Carl Sagan Space Center I'm thinking to adding this device near the island. Either static mesh or maybe a vessel.

What do you think??

Contact.jpg

ED_4

Whovian/Star Trekker/Pinoy
Reaction score
Since it's Carl Sagan Space Center I'm thinking to adding this device near the island. Either static mesh or maybe a vessel.

What do you think??

Contact.jpg

:rofl: What's that? A star gate?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Of a sorts... It's the "Machine" from Contact, by Carl Sagan.

Pablo49

Reaction score

What do you think??

Contact.jpg

I believe the answer you are looking for is: DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT :)

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've made some calculations & experimentation regarding "Contact Machine":

I estimate height of the machine at around 380 - 400 meters. That's why I'm going for Japaneesee version of it (anchored to seabed - I'm thinking of oil platform solution).

Size determination experiment (one of few I performed for this):
cms01.jpg

The hardest part will be coding visal effects for it. Turning the rings is easy but machine has a lot of light effects and I'm not I can achieve sufficent effect in dx7 client. I need experiment on this one.

Hormhole forming (Movie clip screencap):
machine01.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

As for in sim usage it will probably teleport sphere capsule with ummu inside to desired target (planet/moon)

Pablo49

Reaction score
A functional Contact machine? And here I was drooling over the idea of a static mesh.

Best base ever? I think so.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Most of the time last week I've been thinking how to implement thing into oOrbiter with DX7 client.

- Using parent/child animations we can spin rings pretty easy.
- Capsule drop and just teleporting it to different coordinates isn't hard at all in terms of coding.
- Selecting target via drop down menu or input box also isn't hard

The hardest are visual effects. Due to bulit-in client's limations I had to come up with some workarounds. And since I have no coding experience I had to create logic & routines using pseudocode.

Below there is part of development doc: :p

machine02.jpg

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
In the mean time I've started working on "multipad" - 1 vessel that handles few launch vehicles (you can switch between modes inside simulation).

Here is Energia mode (WIP):
epad-04.jpg

eddievhfan1984

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
D3D9 maybe?

Considering advanced lighting effects for the Machine, maybe you might consider building for the Direct3D 9 client being designed here at the forum?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Considering advanced lighting effects for the Machine, maybe you might consider building for the Direct3D 9 client being designed here at the forum?

I want it to work with clean 2010 install on dx7. You see, I'm an old guy who thinks compatibility matters. Up to date, as you can see all of my serious add-ons require only Payload Manager.

I want my add-ons be as independent of 3rd party add-ons as possible (however suited to work with them) and simple to use (most changes either via 1 config file or "in sim")

As for "Machine": I've investigated thing very carefully and to be honest d3d9 isn't nescessary for that project (however machine will be compatibile with it).

To sum it up: I'll switch to d3d9 as soon as it is part of base orbiter install archive.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
"Early in the morning" - working on pad lights

light01.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

and sodium lamps version:
light02.jpg

---------- Post added 04-27-12 at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was 04-26-12 at 10:41 PM ----------

and again :D...

light03.jpg

Unstung

Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance of the thread, but I must add, was a building in the shape of a dodecahedron or a monument to the wonderful shape ever considered for the space center?

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance of the thread, but I must add, was a building in the shape of a dodecahedron or a monument to the wonderful shape ever considered for the space center?

Not planned but if you donate reasonable mesh I can include it.

Small pad and crane are almost working correctly - some minor issues to be solved tomorrow.

Only things left are: big multi-pad, some buildings on smaller pad and some edits in surface tile.

Estimated completion status: 80%