Gaming Cataclysm Roguelike

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I recently found an interesting and complex zombie roguelike called Cataclysm. It has a huge completely randomly generated world, crafting, foraging, hunting, and more in a zombie apocalypse setting. As per usual in roguelikes, you get one life per character and you will often die hilariously. It was initially released last year and I believe development is ongoing. There are no tilesets that I know of, but it's certainly worth a try in my opinion.

http://whalesdev.com/download.php

---------- Post added 08-22-12 at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-21-12 at 04:22 AM ----------

So, I started a new game in it today, and decided to go and scout out the neighborhood for supplies. The first house I walked up to had several dead guys, and one had a machete with 8 bags of cocaine. I saw 3 or 4 more dead guys with several bags of cocaine, so I decided to enter the building they were all near, and found dozens of bags of cocaine all over the room! I did get a nice hoodie and cargo pants off of one of them though... This randomness is why I love roguelikes.:lol:

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I also tested it, but it seems to be a bit buggy. Difficulty is pretty high, already ran into a dozen zombies after the first 30 minutes of play.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
That's almost a feature of the game. It seems to put stealth as the best way in almost any situation. Also, gunshots will attract zombies.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Difficulty is pretty high, already ran into a dozen zombies after the first 30 minutes of play.

High difficulty is typical of roguelikes (or do you mean "pretty high for a roguelike"?).

I'm actually surprised that you've *only* encountered a dozen zombies in 30 minutes. My recollection is that you generally encounter more enemies in a roguelike (though I don't know how tough zombies are).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
High difficulty is typical of roguelikes (or do you mean "pretty high for a roguelike"?).

Pretty high for something roguelike that is not Dwarf Fortress

I'm actually surprised that you've *only* encountered a dozen zombies in 30 minutes. My recollection is that you generally encounter more enemies in a roguelike (though I don't know how tough zombies are).

Not really tough, but if you are practically unarmed and at the beginning of the game, they are bad news. One Zombie is no problem. But a dozen mean bad news, even though I survived after killing half of them and running away... but I doubt the mangled meat of myself will survive long now.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Pretty high for something roguelike that is not Dwarf Fortress

Actually, I've heard it somewhat compares to Dwarf Fortress in its complexity...

Not really tough, but if you are practically unarmed and at the beginning of the game, they are bad news. One Zombie is no problem. But a dozen mean bad news, even though I survived after killing half of them and running away... but I doubt the mangled meat of myself will survive long now.

Yeah, you're pretty much at the mercy of how good your random starting location is. Sometimes the best weapon you can find is a clothes hanger. Sometimes a Remington shotgun.:lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, you're pretty much at the mercy of how good your random starting location is. Sometimes the best weapon you can find is a clothes hanger. Sometimes a Remington shotgun.:lol:

I managed to get a steak knife after walking some kilometers into Zombie land. A GAU-8 Avenger would have been better.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
The Cataclysm DDA has released update 0.5, with a many improvements to the core concept. It has a new menu screen, and new options among other things. I've also noticed a performance increase.

http://www.cataclysmdda.com/

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
So, Cataclysm DDA is going to have a Kickstarter in a few weeks to help fund some additional developers. The current devs have stated that Cataclysm will always remain free and open source though.

http://en.cataclysmdda.com/posts/2