Centaur G/G Prime High Energy Upper Stage

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
YEEEESSSSSS!!!! :woohoo:
Yesterday I took another crack at the CISS motor animation (no pipes) and today I finally got it to work. :hailprobe:
It's not up yet as I still have to make it work for both CISSs, clean it up and re-enable the scenario save/load stuff.... but it works!!!!! So now I want a raise, 2 more days of vacation and a parking spot :p.

BTW, DaveS you have 2 bad texture paths in G Prime CISS, the G CISS looks very pretty with the gold stuff and the He tanks.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
BTW, DaveS you have 2 bad texture paths in G Prime CISS, the G CISS looks very pretty with the gold stuff and the He tanks.
Yes, I realized this when I checked a few things out earlier this morning. I'll check in the fixed version now.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
FYI, I'm going to try to do the pipes now as it can be considered a 4-bar linkage, so the math is similar.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
So, all the CISS animations are now working! :hailprobe: :hailprobe:
A few notes:
>> the table doesn't quite go to 45º as the crank and link collide before that angle is reached. The maximum is ~43.8º and I don't think any further changes are need.
>> on the pipes, there are 2 main animations per pipe: the "A", for the top straight segment; and the "B", for the lower curved segment.
>> the animations are all separated so the LOX/GOX and LH2/GH2 pipes can be different (they seem equal ATM).
>> the bellows at the ends of the segments are animated at half the speed of the pipe segment, to bridge the angle difference between them, and the bellow in between the 2 segments moves together with the straight segment as it looks good enough that way.
>> I think there's a possibility of the animations going slightly bad at super-duper-high time accelerations (or super-duper-low frame rates) due to a "feedback" in the positions that I could not solve.
>> the CISS scenario block has changed, so any scenarios saved with the DA not stowed will show it stowed now (no changes were needed in the current release scenarios).

Another thing, there are 2 stray bellows in the CISS G that are off position and I left them out of the animation.

Now, where's my raise? :p

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Another thing, there are 2 stray bellows in the CISS G that are off position and I left them out of the animation.
Dealt with these and some other issues and checked them in. The animations looks great!

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Dealt with these and some other issues and checked them in. The animations looks great!

Thanks! I think I'm more concerned about the IUS umbilical cable... I found out that there's a cable holding it down as the ASE is rotated up. :uhh:

A couple of days ago you changed the scenarios so the Ku antenna was not deployed at IUS/Centaur deploy. I've seen some IUS deploys that did have the antenna deployed... have you any idea how/why was that decided? Timeline?
Anyway, the change is incomplete as the DA is rotated out. The PayloadBay block needs to be edited as well.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I'm more concerned about the IUS umbilical cable... I found out that there's a cable holding it down as the ASE is rotated up. :uhh:

A couple of days ago you changed the scenarios so the Ku antenna was not deployed at IUS/Centaur deploy. I've seen some IUS deploys that did have the antenna deployed... have you any idea how/why was that decided? Timeline?
Anyway, the change is incomplete as the DA is rotated out. The PayloadBay block needs to be edited as well.
Well, for the PAM missions the Ku band DA was stowed. It is possible that the change was made once the TDRS network was complete enough to support HDR at the time of the IUS deploys.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I have an invisible Centaur stage in the Challenger scenario, anything missing here?

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

Nevermind, found the problem: The Centaur project was not yet in my 2013 solution, not sure why.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I have an invisible Centaur stage in the Challenger scenario, anything missing here?

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

Nevermind, found the problem: The Centaur project was not yet in my 2013 solution, not sure why.

Maybe because nobody with vs2013 added the upper stage projects to the solution?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Maybe because nobody with vs2013 added the upper stage projects to the solution?

Actually, I did already do that once, but it looks like I had forgotten to save the solution file afterwards before going to bed.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Actually, I did already do that once, but it looks like I had forgotten to save the solution file afterwards before going to bed.

And don't forget to commit the changes as well.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And don't forget to commit the changes as well.

Will do, but since I also added a new project to the solution for a new MFD, give me a weekend to get to a committable state there. :thumbup:

hutchison66

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Centaur for shuttle fleet

HI guys I have a version of the centaur from SSU using the shuttle fleet on the Tilt table with Magellan and Cassini if any body would want to take a look email me at [email protected]
didn't release it because it uses the Centaur and ASE from the SSU guys and they where working on their own version, still are, but this works now with Shuttle fleet
David

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have been working on fixing a few issues with the CISS and this is the result. I have replaced the current solid bellows with the accurate accordion style bellows. I also moved the FWD-most bellows into the actual disconnect housings as shown in this photo below.

New_CISS_14.jpg

22123849969_d9919f41d1_o.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

The new meshes and textures have been checked in. Due to the new bellows, the animations needs to be updated.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The new meshes and textures have been checked in. Due to the new bellows, the animations needs to be updated.

Can you update all the rotation axis? That's all it should take to work again.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Can you update all the rotation axis? That's all it should take to work again.
These coordinates, are they the actual axes or the rotation points?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
These coordinates, are they the actual axes or the rotation points?

They should be the axis of rotation, or the rotation points as you call them. The side-ways coordinate is not needed, as the axis are all parallel to the X axis (or that ever it is).

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm almost done updating the animations. There's one change that has to be done though, which is beyond my skills and that is converting the current bellows animations from pure rotations to mixed rotations and scalar animations.

This is how accordion bellows actually move, as one end rotate, the entire bellow segment becomes longer. Only in extreme cases of very short rotations can they remain the same length.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I'm almost done updating the animations. There's one change that has to be done though, which is beyond my skills and that is converting the current bellows animations from pure rotations to mixed rotations and scalar animations.

This is how accordion bellows actually move, as one end rotate, the entire bellow segment becomes longer. Only in extreme cases of very short rotations can they remain the same length.

I have no idea how to twist a mesh group like a bellow... might not be possible in Orbiter. :uhh:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I have no idea how to twist a mesh group like a bellow... might not be possible in Orbiter. :uhh:

Many small meshgroups... Or by manipulation of the vertices.