News Changes to the SpaceX BFR rocket.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I've watched the last several launches on Youtube, it's kind of boring without John Inspruker... his excitement about spaceflight is awesome (and thoroughly "Norminal" behavior for a space and rocket junkie).

diogom

Reaction score
Like, I can at least see his reasoning behind it, even if I don't really agree. But what strikes me as really dumb as hell is the timing, the massive downgrade in quality with no alternative before they're even ready, because what's the point in investing in 4k streams when apparently "X" is struggling with 720p and offers fewer features.

Insprucker is great, but they only bring him out for the big ones these days, hopefully he's there for Flight 2. They must keep him in cryo and thaw him out a few weeks before the date. Though to be honest, I'm not sure there's still a point in having any commentary at all for the Starlink streams.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Well, all the YouTubers that follow Starship and Super Heavy down in Boca Chica will still be covering those launches on YouTube, and anything out of KSC or Vandenberg will be covered as government missions, dependent on mission classification. The only people who will really miss SpaceX on Youtube will be the ones that simply need the SpaceX feed for reasons but refuse to sign up for Xitter. I think that the number of people affected by this shift will be a very small number.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I can understand, that Musk wants to do everything with X. From selling and paying cars to broadcasts.

Just bad, that he first of all had to destroy Twitter, before he can build X upon it. He is really the best CEO that Mastodon doesn't have.

At least the scientific Twitter has now mostly switched to Mastodon, the German government agencies are all recommended to go to Mastodon, and some are already very active there, the Swiss government has just annouced its own instance. It grows fast. The biggest German IT magazine just had more referals from Mastodon than from X (but that was just a weekly snapshot)

In case you want to know where to follow me on Mastodon:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
the Swiss government has just annouced its own instance
They did? That would be unexpectedly forward-thinking of our digitally challenged government. And I haven't heard about it, and can't find it anywhere when googling. Do you have a source for this?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah, I see... so for now it's an experiment for government officials to participate in Mastodon through a government-controlled instance. For a moment there I though that the government was managing an instance as a service for swiss citizen. That would have been quite astoundingly proactive. But I think it might be an interesting option for the future, especially in a direct democracy like Switzerland, for the government to host reliable and moderated social media infrastructure.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ah, I see... so for now it's an experiment for government officials to participate in Mastodon through a government-controlled instance. For a moment there I though that the government was managing an instance as a service for swiss citizen. That would have been quite astoundingly proactive. But I think it might be an interesting option for the future, especially in a direct democracy like Switzerland, for the government to host reliable and moderated social media infrastructure.

Exactly, also the fediverse is still young and developing, there is still a lot of room to improve things.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Anybody know why that is?
Because Elon is higher than his rockets?!
On my end, some ask for login, others only show tweets from before 2021, and others just show a blank page... 🤷‍♂️
Try replacing "twitter.com" with "nitter.net" for basic capabilities like viewing profiles and searching.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Because Elon is higher than his rockets?!
On my end, some ask for login, others only show tweets from before 2021, and others just show a blank page... 🤷‍♂️
Try replacing "twitter.com" with "nitter.net" for basic capabilities like viewing profiles and searching.
But I only have problems seeing Twitter links when they are embedded here at orbiter-forum.com. If I click on a Twitter link on other websites I see the content without problem.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Funny.
  1. Link is not embedded
  2. I click on link to open a new tab
  3. I see a login page, because I deleted my X account.
  4. I close the tab
  5. The content is embedded on OF

Still, Elons club house is dead for me, I switched to the fediverse.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Again, no account here, but embeds work as usual.
1700003690042.png

This still works.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up.
Now....how to do "hot-staging" in my simulation? :unsure:
Does this mean they won't do the little flip-up pitching manoeuvre for staging?
Cheers,
BrianJ