Question Common 3D formats of add-on makers?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
What are the most used mesh/model making programs among Orbiter add-on developers?
Which file formats are most often imported into Orbiter msh?
Which format would you like to be easily imported to msh?

Share your preferences please.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
3ds and obj. An8 would be nice, but I see it as impossible to do right, as one Anim8or file can contain many objects.

Is there a native blender format? Then adding that as well would be nice.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
me PERSONALLY would like to see a .xsi file importer, plus possibly a way to use XSI Mod Tool to directly import animations

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Heilor and I use Wings3d (or at least he knows a lot about it :p), but it can already export to a lot of formats plus a plugin for .msh format so I don't know how much making another way for it to export to Orbiter would save anyone any time.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
.obj and .3ds are probably the most used ones

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Another thing I would like to see are textures in .bmp, .jpg, .jpeg, some more common texture then .dds
I know there's a utility to convert images to .dds, but i think it would just be easier to make them .bmp or whatever

Schimz

Reaction score
Lightwave3D. He use metric units and same coordinates system as orbiter : WYSIWYG.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Another thing I would like to see are textures in .bmp, .jpg, .jpeg, some more common texture then .dds
I know there's a utility to convert images to .dds, but i think it would just be easier to make them .bmp or whatever
Jpeg is a very lossy format, and I believe that it doesn't have transparency. Plus, using .dds means that it loads faster, since the texture is already in the format that the renderer needs. It only takes a couple minutes to convert all of the textures for your addon into .dds.

unussapiens

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nickgrant.id.au
The blender format (.blend) is a very complex format, designed for scenes, animation secquences and pretty much anything else you might need to make 3D movie. Having said that, if anyone is up to the challenge I would love to be able to use .blend files in Orbiter.

I also support the idea of having other texture formats. png is my personal favourite.

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Similar to Tschachim here. I believe DaveS uses GMAX too.

It doesn't look easy to determine the most commonly used 3D app among our developers.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Similar to Tschachim here. I believe DaveS uses GMAX too.
Yep. GMAX here, since 2006. Although I believe the 3DSMAX .max and GMAX .gmax formats are different.

Istochnikov

Costa Rica Space Systems' CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yep, they're different and incompatible. 3DStudio has the problem that the models should be scaled down to a ~46% for using them in orbiter.

h_m_murdochuk

Reaction score
The blender format (.blend) is a very complex format, designed for scenes, animation secquences and pretty much anything else you might need to make 3D movie. Having said that, if anyone is up to the challenge I would love to be able to use .blend files in Orbiter.

There is a .blend exporter for orbiter available here http://sourceforge.net/projects/blorbiter

Edit: Having said that I can't get it working at the moment with the latest blender version and Vista - may just be because my brain's fried tonight!

Last edited: