Discussion Config for current solar system exploration

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Hi,

What to you think of creating a sol.cfg for current solar system exploration, integrating all the active and historical space probes that have been sent over the years ? For Saturn for example, you'd have Cassini orbiting and Huygens landed, etc...

The ideia here is to treat current and past missions as scenery and not to control them. Just the meshes on the right places.
The you could explore things prety much as they are in reality using whatver spacecraft you'd like.
I'd very much like to have the Viking landers, Pathfinder and the MERs always on the surface of Mars every time I go there, so that I could land the Deltaglider, for example, as close as possible to the historical sites :)

I don't see much trouble in getting the landers to appear on the right places, by creating surface bases and positioning there the meshes.
For orbiting probes perhaps defining them as satellites of a planet would do.

My questions are: is there any interest in something like this? What probes would you include for each planet ? Has someone tried it before ? How to handle the dozens of add-ons you might need to install to have all the required meshes?

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
It's not a bad idea, but would pose problems. For probes that are landed, they can just stay there, but for things that went on slingshot trajectories, you'd need to code a DLL for each one for it's motion at a given date to force it into the right position as otherwise jumping to dates in orbiter does not propagate the position of the probes with respect to all bodies (slingshots) - it just assumes it's in a nice ellipse around a single gravitational influence.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
OK, so I'd have to limit the scope to present spacecraft in 2009 or early 2010 and that orbit a well defined body. Of course, the orbital parameters will not change over time then.