News Contact lost with 777-200ER of Malaysia Airlines

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
  • Getting seen and photographed by passengers of the other jet

The Field of View from the windows of an airplane is really narrow, and during a night fly most of the people are sleeping and even if they are not, flight attendant would ask to close the windows shutters. How many people would have opened it, pushed their face on the window to try to see backwards the other 777 with one eye?

I'm not a big technical expert as you are, so about the other points I don't want to say stupid things, but I fly a lot even very long flights and as far as other passengers pictures I am quite sure that no one would have noticed anything :nono:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm not a big technical expert as you are, so about the other points I don't want to say stupid things, but I fly a lot even very long flights and as far as other passengers pictures I am quite sure that no one would have noticed anything :nono:

One is enough to notice.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
maybe, but this is one of the few theories that makes a sort of sense... in normal circumstances we would have considered this guy crazy, but since nothing in this case makes sense, this looks to be an option...

one question I have, if it has already been answered sorry, how close the two airplanes should have been? something like a couple of lengths of the airplane of distance could it be enough close?

JSwift

Reaction score

Very interesting - this is my favourite theory to date. Since day 1 I've maintained that until there is a definitive piece of wreckage found, the possibility of the aircraft being intact on the ground (however small or unlikely) still exists.

The issue I have with that is the degree or organization and planning required to pull that scenario off (with nothing major going wrong). As more information continues to filter out to the public, this type of super-villain plot remains on the table for now but I think the odds are still in favour of a crash. But maybe a crash during a theft/radar shadow attempt?

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Back on the two blips would trigger a warning issue, if a civilian airplane trailed by another identical one enters sensitive airspace in the middle of the night, and the transponder from the first plane answers with the proper ident, the night shift operator might have just disregarded the echo as a glitch... I mean, it has occured before in the past that people working, say at russian early warning command posts, ignored echos and disregarded these as false warnings...

In other news, Malaysia has requested Pakistan to do some work on the subject...

http://rt.com/news/malaysian-plane-investigation-pakistan-238/

MattBaker

Reaction score
Lesson learned: Passive radar, now and forever!

Ah no, military hates that, nevermind.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com

Attachments

• AMSA_Search_Area.jpg
    AMSA_Search_Area.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 42

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
the search radius is vast:

_73631598_malaysian_airliner_search_624map.gif

As I understand it, the two arcs (red lines in the figure) are the points of equal distance from a satellite that received the final "ping" from an automated signal from the plane. In the press these seem to be commonly misrepresented as "flight paths", but in fact there is no suggestion that the plane actually moved along one of the arcs. It's just that the satellite can determine the distance, but not the direction of the signal it received?

In that case, have there been more pings than just the final one? If you had a series of radial distances from given points, even without angular information, you might be able to reconstruct more of a spatial probability map than just from the last one. In particular if you make certain assumptions (approximately constant speed of the plane) you might be able to propagate positional probabilities from one arc to the next. Of course the uncertainties will add up with each step, but you might still end up with a better idea where to search than just two huge corridors across a good part of the Earth's surface.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
As I understand it, the two arcs (red lines in the figure) are the points of equal distance from a satellite that received the final "ping" from an automated signal from the plane. In the press these seem to be commonly misrepresented as "flight paths", but in fact there is no suggestion that the plane actually moved along one of the arcs. It's just that the satellite can determine the distance, but not the direction of the signal it received?

From what I've been reading, they have distance and angle from several pings

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
From what I've been reading, they have distance and angle from several pings

They seem to have the antenna elevation angle or pseudorange (which is equivalent) with 5° accuracy from the SATCOM pings, that are emitted even by an disabled SATCOM system to maintain antenna pointing.

Azimuth angle is doubtful, you could maximal have pseudo range and which subbeam of the satellite the aircraft talked to. And even that seems doubtful - why has the map two beams, if you could tell apart which antenna of the satellite was talking to the aircraft?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Seems like two pieces of a possible wreckage were localized 2500 km SW of Australia... What was it doing there is totally unanderstandable to me

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Yeah, I'm not so sure. For Australian depart of defense imagery it's very poor quality.

_73694268_digo_00718_02_14.jpg

It may just be another wild debris hunt.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, I'm not so sure. For Australian depart of defense imagery it's very poor quality.
It may just be another wild debris hunt.

The object is at least realistic, and the quality isn't that poor here, its one meter resolution, in the pictures I have seen in German news (And it is from DigitalGlobe, not military)

Still, object 1 does not look like a part of an aircraft. too large and too flat.

Last edited:

MattBaker

Reaction score
At least it would explain why it took a bit longer...who would start searching in the Southern Indian Ocean?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
An Australian P-3 Orion is on site since 9 AM UTC this morning, roughly. Night is already falling there. From what I've seen an Oliver Hazard Perry frigate is en-route along with a few other S&R ships, including a specialized british unit.

Also, local currents suggests than, since the crash happened 13 day agos, the debris can have drifted several hundred kilometers southwards.

Looks like an autopilot let in charge of the airplane alone on a hastily set course and an uncapacitated crew until fuel runs out...

Edit : last Australian imagery satellite, launched in 2009, would have a resolution of 50 cm.

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
:crystalball2: my guess based on nothing is that it's not it