News Contact lost with 777-200ER of Malaysia Airlines

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks like they've found it, a Chinese satellite picked up a crash site.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/12/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Three large debris with their dimensions coming in at 13 by 18 meters, 14 by 19 meters, and 24 by 22 meters.

I like to disagree there. It found something of the size of image compression artefacts. Lets wait for confirmation by something closer.

Also, I find it more interesting, that this plane also used ACARS.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As stated by the 'expert' on the video, I don't think China would have released that information lightly. The images are from Sunday morning, and they had time to analyze the data and be pretty confident about it. :2cents:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I'm surprised the aircraft is in such large pieces and still afloat IF that's actually the aircraft. The image was taken a day after the crash. It looks, to me, like they tried to water land it.

Last edited:

Melvin

Reaction score
Looks like they've found it, a Chinese satellite picked up a crash site.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/12/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-plane/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Three large debris with their dimensions coming in at 13 by 18 meters, 14 by 19 meters, and 24 by 22 meters.

Wow, those are large pieces of debris in my estimation. If it turns out that this is in fact wreckage from the missing aircraft, what would such large pieces of debris indicate?

I ask because I feel that if it went in hard and fast the wreckage would be rather small in comparison.

EDIT Dang you guys type fast...

"Also, I find it more interesting, that this plane also used ACARS."

And yet we hear nothing.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Those are some damn big pieces... the smallest one MIGHT be chunk of fuselage that unwrapped completely... the biggest one has me scratching my head. Is it part of the wing root area?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
As stated by the 'expert' on the video, I don't think China would have released that information lightly. The images are from Sunday morning, and they had time to analyze the data and be pretty confident about it. :2cents:

If this is the best quality that their "Earth Resources Satellites" can deliver, it is a shame for them.

I mean: The JPEG compression patterns in the cloud cover are as large as the claimed debris parts. It can be anything. Or they have better quality images, which have not been released to keep military secrets, but which spot to the right point.

Melvin

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I can only assume that Chinese officials "dumbed down" the images clarity in order to not give away any state secrets.

Or perhaps there are more sinister motives. It sure would be interesting to know the facts behind the flight's passenger manifest. RUMOR has it that 20 of the passengers are highly skilled technicians from a Chinese defense contractor. STRICTLY RUMOR as far as I know.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Or perhaps there are more sinister motives. It sure would be interesting to know the facts behind the flight's passenger manifest. RUMOR has it that 20 of the passengers are highly skilled technicians from a Chinese defense contractor. STRICTLY RUMOR as far as I know.

Interesting rumor... actually 20 passengers had been are employees of Freescale Semiconductor.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If this is the best quality that their "Earth Resources Satellites" can deliver, it is a shame for them.

Why do I suspect this is the kind of information they are not eager to share ? :hmm:

The way I see it, they have a much better version in their Defence Ministry that allowed them to be sure of themselves, then pixelated it for the public release...

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

I mean: The JPEG compression patterns in the cloud cover are as large as the claimed debris parts. It can be anything. Or they have better quality images, which have not been released to keep military secrets, but which spot to the right point.

Well.....that satellite "only" has 1-meter resolution, so not exactly comparable to those commercial Earth imaging satellites.....

I don't think these looks like aircraft debris though (although the position looks right for a crash shortly after out of communications).

Melvin

Reaction score
I think Galactic Penguin is the mastermind behind the hijacking and is currently interrogating the Chinese technicians in order to complete his master plan of Asian domination.

Just speculating here, but hey, it's more plausible than alien abduction.

:bartender:

thepenguin

Flying Penguin
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My current theory: Somebody stole the plane and went to Africa with it.

The only question is what one does with a stolen $260M plane.
You can't really sell it, can you?
They might be saving it for a later attack, but who knows?

Melvin

Reaction score
And what of the non-Chinese passengers?

Has anyone seen any video of their families sobbing and wishing for their safe return? I ask because it's not playing out that way in America. Are any of the Euro families being spotlighted?

Not that I wish to see people suffer, but it just seems odd to me that Wolf Blitzer hasn't run an exclusive interview yet.

Occam's razor says that it was mechanical failure, but c'mon man...

AND ANOTHER THING TO CONSIDER

Isn't it convenient how the American media has been consumed by this "ghost plane" while the Russians are rounding up opposition leaders in Ukraine?

What exactly is getting swept under the rug here? Furthermore, is The Queen's butthurt worth banning a fellow from joining in the discussion?

Last edited:

MattBaker

Reaction score
Typical outcome of this looks like that

To be fair many survived that and the number would have been higher if A) swimming would be a more common sport in Africa (yes, politically incorrect but a fact) B) people wouldn't inflate their life vests inside the plane and then can never get out.
But still: Very difficult, you would try it close to the coastline for rescue and never done before with a 777. The 777's engines are probably too low to not cause trouble there.

95% of this thread is pure speculation, why am I not allowed to add some of my own?

Because 95% of this thread is fact-based speculation. It is speculation like "LeBron scored a dozen points in the last...consecutive games, without him the Heats will run into real trouble!" and not "LeBron has scored 61 points a few days ago, he must be an alien from M33 brought here with another member of his species who would later become Steven Moffat, who just writes about real events in M33 and calls it Doctor Who."
Yes, the second one is done here too, but clearly in a joking manner.

Also the Wall Street Journal reports that the Trent 800 engines have sent on signals for hours after the disappreance, apparently every Rolls-Royce engine automatically sends data to them for analysis. I haven't fully understood how that is done (via satellite?) but apparently the plane stayed airborne a bit longer than your usual water landing.

And CCTV tweeted this. Make of that whatever you want.

---------- Post added at 07:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 AM ----------

Furthermore The Associated Press seems to quote the civil aviation chief of Malaysia. No debris where the Chinese said they would be and Vietnam already searched there days ago. Huh.

Although it should be noted that guy was quoted earlier on that the guys with stolen passports "look like Balotelli" (Italian soccer player for the NASCAR fans here). Which, spoiler alert, they didn't.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also the Wall Street Journal reports that the Trent 800 engines have sent on signals for hours after the disappreance, apparently every Rolls-Royce engine automatically sends data to them for analysis. I haven't fully understood how that is done (via satellite?) but apparently the plane stayed airborne a bit longer than your usual water landing.

Its done by ACARS, just like it was done by the AF447. ANY subsystem of an aircraft can send ACARS messages via the ACARS system and either VHF data link or SATCOM.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACARS"]Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
They might be saving it for a later attack, but who knows?

Sorry but :facepalm:

Anyway, not enough fuel to get there, got it ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Are any of the Euro families being spotlighted?

Not at all, there are actually only 5 confirmed European passengers.

The story of the Iranian who travelled with a stolen passport stirred some short media interest in Germany, since he did this most likely to visit his mother in Frankfurt.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Last edited: