News Contact lost with 777-200ER of Malaysia Airlines

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

I must admit that if there were such a plume it would have been spotted very easily from the search crews.

If they can see it at all - if it crashed in the middle of the Indian ocean, nobody would be there to see it.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
How about thermal bands from Landsat or some other bird.... The crash occured at night, if we're lucky the burn from a fuel slick would be quite visible in IR at night!

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
It seems that there are other ways of searching for the jet....... (thanks to Poscik for the link!)

5ef9ed7c3a83.jpg

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I think you may be on to something.
I think you may be on to something.
Why all this conflicted reports and denials.
Something really sinister is going on here.
I agree. I'm no conspiracy nut either (despite being an evil redneck right-winger:lol:), but this is starting to smell distinctly bovine.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Rule 0x25 of Software Development: Never attribute something to malice, if incompetence is not yet ruled out.

Ok, let's assume incompetence, then: Someone somewhere made a really bad call under confused circumstances and ordered the plane shot down due to some mistake. Now somebody somewhere has to conceal that mistake for a multitude of reasons.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Ok, let's assume incompetence, then: Someone somewhere made a really bad call under confused circumstances and ordered the plane shot down due to some mistake. Now somebody somewhere has to conceal that mistake for a multitude of reasons.

What's with the "Whoops, that was a big fat blunder!" attitude? Doesn't this work anymore? Granted, it is not in a warlike scenario like [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655"]Iran Air 655[/ame] but still...

Also why would anyone accidentally shoot down a plane? How do you even do that? "Oh dammit, I put my coffee mug on the launch button, there it goes..."

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The problem with the "it got shot down theory" : Why is there no communication, not even a transponder signal suddenly?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Failure of engagement during peacetime happens at the command level, not at the trigger.

I couldn't exactly explain how it comes to be, but then again, what about this can we explain currently? Knowing command structures and lines of communication it seems more easily imagined than sudden critical existence failure of a whole plane or a hijacking to execute some hollywood villain's plan...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I couldn't exactly explain how it comes to be, but then again, what about this can we explain currently? Knowing command structures and lines of communication it seems more easily imagined than sudden critical existence failure of a whole plane or a hijacking to execute some hollywood villain's plan...

I think the old wisdom will be true: There is no single event that led to a catastrophy.

For example, additionally to normal technical issues, you could have ground radar and ATC being faulty.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
When things get too difficult I usually start from scratch and think that maybe there is a mistake on the easy stuff...

So I'm starting to believe that the plane is just there, on the bottom of the sea under their eyes but their looking around too much to find it...

How did it happen? No plane, no reason... AF447 went down basically because of a simple stall, and the pilots had minutes to recover it, they just needed to put the nose down... before listening to the black box everybody was saying "how could this happen?", it's impossible.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How did it happen? No plane, no reason... AF447 went down basically because of a simple stall, and the pilots had minutes to recover it, they just needed to put the nose down... before listening to the black box everybody was saying "how could this happen?", it's impossible.

Yes, and three things had been needed for AF447 to result in a crash:

Frozen pitot tubes.
Lack of display hints in the PFD for this situation.
Pilots not following the emergency procedures.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score

The Onion...supposedly America's Finest News Source.

Reading this article makes me think a couple things.

1) If the Onion is what it claims to be, America has gone mad.
2) That plane may never be found.
3) A black triangle has dumped the flight through a Schwarzschild wormhole.

On a more serious note, the lack of ANY debris OR wreckage is both sinister and a concern. As far as we know, someone could've flown it to their hideout and kept it there, that's how much anyone knows of the fate of this flight...

I personally think it has officially disappeared from the face of the Earth. Best case scenario at this point is that we find debris on Saturday, because finding no debris after 5 days is definitely strange (also, because it'll be the 7th day after it disappeared).

MattBaker

Reaction score
because finding no debris after 5 days is definitely strange (also, because it'll be the 7th day after it disappeared).

This morning (I don't know about now, I think they expanded the search area, didn't they?) the ratio of "size of aircraft" and "size of search area" was equivalent to a single pixel in 22 megapixels.

So basically it's like looking for a single dead pixel on eleven 1080p monitors, that might be surrounded by a few other pixels with some weirdness or which might not even be on the eleven monitors but on one of the dozen others lying around.

Or finding something the size of four football fields in the United States. Well, finding four football fields would be too easy I guess.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
The Onion...supposedly America's Finest News Source.

Reading this article makes me think a couple things.

1) If the Onion is what it claims to be, America has gone mad.
2) That plane may never be found.
3) A black triangle has dumped the flight through a Schwarzschild wormhole.

The Onion isn't a real news group, they do satire and jokes based off current events or whatever takes their fancy, and use the news-thing as a framing device. I used to pick up their print version at a book store I used to frequent, so I'm familiar with what they do. You can pretty much assume what they write is bogus, though it might be entertaining to read. I would get it for the bus ride home, though your mileage may vary.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
The onions "Our Dumb World" is an excellent coffee table book that is sure to start many conversations

Matias Saibene

Developing and CMakin'
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
The Onion isn't a real news group, they do satire and jokes based off current events or whatever takes their fancy, and use the news-thing as a framing device. I used to pick up their print version at a book store I used to frequent, so I'm familiar with what they do. You can pretty much assume what they write is bogus, though it might be entertaining to read. I would get it for the bus ride home, though your mileage may vary.

Sometimes it's funny to make a satire of the news, but in the case of a tragedy I think it is not a subject to joke, people who lost their loved ones.
Reminds me of an obnoxious "news channel" that is insanely disgusting tabloid and show images of tragedies and use this like a joke. It is the national shame of our country.