sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Nexus.jpg

I was waiting for the Orbithangar RSS feed to post, but it's been a day and hasn't happened yet...I guess it's having trouble.

Possibly the largest conventionally-powered launch vehicle ever seriously considered, NEXUS was a post-Saturn launch vehicle proposed for launching manned Mars missions in a single launch.

Uses the Velcro Rockets add-on for ascent, then, using the Become = parameter, runs its own code for the descent.

Just the thing for putting a zero-stage under a Saturn V, or lifting ludicrously large and heavy objects into orbit.

At Orbithangar: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3497"]Convair NEXUS v1.0 (Velcro)[/ame]

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
I love it! I put the entire Mir space station which fit perfectly within it's fairing and sent it into orbit with no problem. A true monster of a launcher!

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
As big as Nexus...

Here's some shots with a familiar vehicle to give some perspective on the size of this spacecraft:

1nexusshuttle1jr3.jpg

2nexusshuttle2cz1.jpg

Here's some shots of Nexus ascent, staging and unique entry sequence:

3nexuslaunch2nm4.jpg

4ascent2qt9.jpg

5nexusfairing2vi7.jpg

6nexuslstaging2az7.jpg

7nexusretrofireqg4.jpg

8nexusretrosepjz9.jpg

9nexusentry1bl0.jpg

10nexusentry2dt5.jpg

11nexuschuteld0.jpg

12nexustouchdownxp9.jpg

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Many thanks to 80mileshigh, who has seen nearly TWO BLUIDY YEARS between the meshing (him) and the coding (me). Oops! But on the bright side, I'm clearing my backlog....

SpaceNut

Reaction score
Wow, what a behemoth of a rocket... wish we'd build stuff like that for real. Nicely done btw

Rosey

Reaction score
I love how you just launch at what appears to be 40 mph .... it must be about a 1.5 "g" launch. I like stuff like this