Hardware Cooling my computer help

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
oh, I think I see the problem. get some new thermal glue (or grey goop as my father calls it) and pop it on the bottom of the heat-sink. if you removed the heat-sink, you may need to put more on.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
done that a hundred times over...

Anyways, I'm pretty determined to solve that freaking problem once and for all, and not to wait for winter this time around. I used motherboard monitor so far to watch my temps, but I'm not very happy with it. So I searched for better tools, and found speed fan. Nice thing, but I don't understand the readings too well, I'm afraid.

It gieves me Temp1 to 3, HDD and core.

Temp 1 is constantly at 30 C, presumably the system temp sensor. Temp 2 gives 52 degrees, no Idea what it's measuring. Temp 3 shows 64 C for some while now, consistant with the CPU readout from mbm. HDD is pretty clear and no problem at 28 C steady (there's no activity after all).

And then there's the readout that troubles me. It's labeled "core", it started out the same temp as Temp2, but has been steadily rising since the computer started, until just a few seconds ago, where it reached 75 and the computer shut down. So, what is "core"? because that's where the mess seems to be... It might be CPU, and mbm got the wrong sensor readout. However, it should not shut down at 75 C then. oh, the mistery...

EDIT: discovered possibility that "Core" might be the temperature of the NVidia n560, which the board uses as main chipset. I just now discovered that it's usually at least as hot to toucch as the cpu, and the only other hot place I can find on the board. What gives?

I realigned my Vents a bit to get more air to the chip, now the CPU is getting hotter, but in a very awkward way... like, start up computer, get temperature warning before windows is even up, get a horror-number like 105 degrees thrown at my face from MbM, shut down, go into bios, look at temperature, it says 65 degrees. Like that temperature could have fallen a full 40 degrees in 10 seconds. I'm afraid something with my Temperature sensors isn't as it should be indeed. Solutions?

Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
from the time i had an AMD CPU, i recall that 60-65 degrees was kind of the "normal" operating range for it....

but AMDs are known to have heating problems.... i'd advise you lose the side panels... that should give you a 5-degree relief, as mentioned earlier...

or, if you got yourself 60 bucks or so to spare, i recommend you get yourself a watercooling kit... they're a bit tricky to put together, but it should put an end to your cooling woes :hmm:

dunno.... last time i attempted a mild overclock i ended up having to use the "emergency reset" feature on my striker extreme mobo.... then i was a bit scared of trying that again :uhh:

anyhow... our poor CPUs are at the edge of clock speed... even Intel has decided it's impractical to have something running any faster (HUGE heating problems) - so i hear the newest trends are towards adding more cores, instead... (a great idea IMO, since we're running more and more things at once, these days)

i'm so looking forward to those 128+ core CPUs :rolleyes:

specially now, that i've learned me how to program with multithreading :thumbup:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
or, if you got yourself 60 bucks or so to spare, i recommend you get yourself a watercooling kit...

In bosnia? :rofl: This isn't exactly hi-tech paradise here... ;)

last time i attempted a mild overclock i ended up having to use the "emergency reset" feature on my striker extreme mobo.

I UNDERclocked it. If I run it at normal clockspeed, windows hasn't even the time to start up before CPU overheat. losing the sidepanels helps pretty much nothing since I've optimised the airflow. Also, I remember NOT having had these problems during at least the first year of operation (lousy cooler, lousy case, not a single fan, playing fallout 3 while simultaniously converting videos during sumer) and then having it more and more frequently. When I couldn't think of anything to do anymore, I underclocked the CPU. That helped for a while, but now I'm at the same again. It seems that no matter what I do, that machine finds the opportunity to produce some more heat. Maybe the darn thing's just broken and I should get a new board and a new chip, but aside from those heat problems it works without problems (I never got freezes or hangs or any of the sort, for example).

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

*sigh* It seems like there's no way out of this. Have been working on the problem the whole day. I know for sure now that Core isn't the chipset, but I still don't know exactly which temperature it is...

In effect, I clocked the CPU down to 5x, it's now runing at one lousy gigahertz... of 2.6 factory default. The idle temperature is now between 46 and 50 degree c in windows. Gnah!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My apologies to cinder1992, in the end it turns out he was right. Yes, I have tried new thermopaste a few dozen times, but what help is that if you manage to do it wrong every single time?

Remind me to take things a bit more literally. When someone writes "only use a little bit" in the future, I will use as few as I possibly can, instead of misinterpreting that statement as "don't use a lot", because the amount I used seemed small enough to me alright, plus I smeared it over the processor with my finger to have the whole area nicely covered. Now that I read some more serious articles about the matter I find out that neither do you have to cover the whole surface, nor should you smear it with anything that has the slight chance of bringing grease into the mix. Plus, learning that the paste is supposed to fill microscopic inpurities on the surface and not to cover the silly thing, the Idea of cleaning it all off really good with alcohol made a lot more sense than it did before... :facepalm:

long story short, I traveled half the country to get a new tube of thermo-paste (yes, you have to search for it pretty hard over here...), got some high percent alcohole in the drugstore (that one you get all too easy... like, in small bottles that are marked in handwriting :lol:), cleaned the whole stuff thouroughly, put a ridicoulus amount of paste in the center of the processor (like, about a rice grain or so), put the heat sink on and called it done. Resetted my CPU to full awsome power, lowered the voltage a bit, and whadayaknow, I got an idle temperature of around 45 degrees C now, better than I had when the thing was new (which was to be expected, since it now has a better cooler, a better case, a better airflow and, finally, better paste). So yeah, I'm happy. I got rid of a problem that bothered me for the last two years, and I learned something new. :cheers: