Could Comet C/2013 A1 impact Mars in 2014?

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Comet to Mars C/2013 A1 (Siding Spring)

C/2013 A1 (Siding Spring) is an Oort cloud comet discovered on 3 January 2013 by Robert H. McNaught at Siding Spring Observatory using the 0.5-meter (20 in) Uppsala Southern Schmidt Telescope.[ At the time of discovery it was 7.2 AU from the Sun and located in the constellation Lepus. Comet C/2013 A1 probably took millions of years to come from the Oort cloud. After leaving the planetary region of the Solar System, the post-perihelion orbital period (epoch 2050) is estimated to be roughly 1 million years. Precovery images by the Catalina Sky Survey from 8 December 2012 were quickly found. On 3 March 2013, Pan-STARRS precovery images from 4 October 2012 were announced that extended the observation arc to 148 days.

NASA is taking steps to protect its Mars orbiters, preserving opportunity to collect valuable scientific data, as the Comet C / 2013 A1 Siding Spring is dirge to a flyby of Mars on October 19.
fotonoticia_20140728144309_644.jpg

The nucleus of the comet will pass about 132.000 km altitude above Mars, sending material to a speed of 56 kilometers per second relative to Mars and spacecraft orbiting Mars. At that speed, even the smallest particle - estimated at half a millimeter in diameter - could cause significant damage to a spacecraft.

Currently operates two NASA Mars orbiters with third MAVEN spacecraft, the flyby of the comet. Equipment operating orbiters plan to have all buildings located on the opposite side of Mars when it is more likely to pass by the comet.

Last edited:

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Martians dinosaurs is recommended, if any, do not leave the house October 19., just in case .... :rofl:

Attachments

• cometmarte.jpg
    cometmarte.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 35

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I really wish we get to see a comet or asteroid hit Mars at a high velocity. I'd love to see the devastation.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I really wish we get to see a comet or asteroid hit Mars at a high velocity. I'd love to see the devastation.

I think it would be a very good wake up call for humanity.

"Oh, so that's what lurks in the depths of space, waiting to hit us. Holy :censored:!"

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think it would be a very good wake up call for humanity.

It would need a vehicle large delta V, like the Hiperion ship, able to destroy or deflect the asteroid or comet.

Imagine permafrost ice cover, this flowing rivers and lakes forming before boil and evaporate, and release the CO2 to atmosphere.
5837551.jpg

An atmosphere of steam, to create a greenhouse effec and warming of Mars, after water vapor decomposes water into oxygen and hydrogen, hydrogen escape by the push of radiation in the upper atmosphere.

Leaving to form the oxygen, which oxidizes all, but can form ozone, and that enables chemical reactions high metabolism, would like to relive the historic past of Mars ...

Last edited:

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The volume of water in a single comet would not be enough to have liquid water on Mars, however, the cloud cover would increase dramatically as it's atmosphere would get saturated... Perpetual fog of war for our remaining lifetime. (Mars, God of War, get it ? :p )

---------- Post added at 07:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 PM ----------

Thinking about it, that's a nice paper I could work on... Take the volume of water in this comet, calculate the absolute humidity the atmosphere of Mars could handle, and determine if it would get saturated globally or zonally...

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

Oh and Perseus, nice photoshop of Skógarfoss ... I spent a year in Iceland back in 2005-2006 studying glaciology and volcanology... :)

SpaceEagle

GEP Reborn Project Manager
Reaction score
Does someone know the precise date and time for flyby/possible impact?
Now it's October. Can't wait to see MRO pictures of that snowball

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Here is 2 screenshots and a scenario for C/2013 A1. I used Joffrey's asteroid from this [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5909"]add-on[/ame] as the comet.

JPL Horizon prediction as of 10/10/2014 - PeA with 733 day observation arc.

C_2013A1SidingSpringMarsPeA_11_6_zps8cf02053.png

With labels:

C_2013A1SidingSpringMarsPeA_11_7_zps6b9041b8.png

Scenario:

Code:
BEGIN_DESC
Comet C/2013 A1 predicted to come REALLY REALLY CLOSE to Mars in 2014

Scenario start time is 10/17/2014 at 18:00:00 UT (about T-48 hrs to closest approach)

PeA with 733 day observation arc.

JPL Horizon prediction as of 10/10/2014

Recommended Camera distance from "comet": 210.3

Recommended simulation speed: 1000x to start, then downshift to 100x.

END_DESC

BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
  System Sol
  Date MJD  56947.75
END_ENVIRONMENT

BEGIN_FOCUS
  Ship C2013_A1
END_FOCUS

BEGIN_CAMERA
  TARGET C2013_A1
  MODE Extern
  POS 7.05 102.12 30.19
  TRACKMODE GlobalFrame
  FOV 35.00
END_CAMERA

BEGIN_SHIPS
C2013_A1:Asteroids\2008 EA9
  STATUS Orbiting Sun
  RPOS  115538943624.789 -11169341650.8627 -174871831759.97
  RVEL -18962.7897669121  27629.1190338066 -11924.1820359124
  AROT 0.00 -0.00 0.00
  AFCMODE 7
END
END_SHIPS

BEGIN_ExtMFD
END

BEGIN_VistaBoost
END

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
The comet set to buzz Mars on Sunday, Oct. 19th may cause small meteorite impacts to Mars from its tail. Depending on the scale and number of impacts you could have one within driving range of Opportunity or MSL rovers. This is important because some imaging by Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter observed recent impact craters suggesting ice within just a few feet of Mars surface. Then the heat of impact could make this ice liquid for a short time before freezing over again or sublimating.

Bob Clark

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Webcast has startded

SanderBuruma

Reaction score
is there a full footage from when the comet went past its perigee @ mars? I can't find it anywhere. Is it in the private domain and if it isn't, is it going to be in the public domain? atm I only have a few pictures.

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
is there a full footage from when the comet went past its perigee @ mars? I can't find it anywhere. Is it in the private domain and if it isn't, is it going to be in the public domain? atm I only have a few pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjNoxEL45vU

That link is from Messierhunters post #443 on the (current) last page of the Astrophoto thread.

The best I've seen so far.

Soheil_Esy

Fazanavard فضانورد
Reaction score
Cometary debris crashing on Mars?

Cometary debris crashing on Mars?
slide1.jpg

The Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) launched by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) on November 5, 2014 has spotted a mushroom cloud on the surface of the red planet.

Images taken by Mars Colour Camera (MCC) onboard show the mysterious cloud with great clarity. The cloud is situated above the Valles Marineris Canyon. Its distinct mushroom shape and close-up views, depict what seems to be a large crater formed underneath the cloud.

The discovery has erupted plenty of questions and theories about the cause of the mushroom cloud.

One of the causes that have been ruled out is that the recent discovery of methane found by Curiosity Rover could not be the origin. The amounts found on Mars are too minor to cause an explosion and crates as seen in Siberia. What has also been ruled out is surface wind, which is rare on the planet as the cloud does not depict a windy swirl.

One of the more plausible explanations put forth, is when comet Siding Spring which passed extremely close to Mars on October 19, 2014, might have caused the explosion. According to the Inquisitr, NASA cut off live feed while the comet was passing by Mars as a way to cover-up the event. Conspiracy theorists claim, NASA knew that the explosion would occur caused by the comet, added the Inquisitr.

It is possible MOM captured the explosion as it occurred.
http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/report-mushroom-cloud-on-mars-captured-by-mars-orbiter-mission-2066959

268B9E1D00000578-0-image-m-17_1426098827038.jpg

'The image shows a huge mushroom cloud and we may wonder whether it is an enormous rare dust wind cloud, or caused due to a methane explosion.'
The image was taken around the same time as the Siding Spring comet passed Mars last year.
268B7FCB00000578-0-image-a-4_1426098677549.jpg

Pictured is a zoomed in version of what some believe is the mushroom cloud, showing the crater rim, stem explosion and cloud shadow. The image was taken around the same time as the Siding Spring comet passed Mars on October 19 last year.

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Looks like a combination of low angled light and a slightly blurry image make a cool illusion. Why do I think it's an illusion? Well the crater is just Oudemans Crater, and the "cloud" seems to just be painted on by the shape of known and very well imaged mountains that are lighter in color than the far east-most bowl of Noctis labyrinthus, which has a dark colored floor. Every detail of the "cloud" corresponds with various land features on higher resolution images.

Very cool looking though!

EDIT: DANG!! semi-:ninja:'d by Urwumpe

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Wow, this is being debunked in two threads now.

According to the Inquisitr, NASA cut off live feed while the comet was passing by Mars as a way to cover-up the event. Conspiracy theorists claim, NASA knew that the explosion would occur caused by the comet, added the Inquisitr

Yep. Those evil people at NASA would deliberately hide a comet impacting another planet from the world. Oh, wait...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_Shoemaker–Levy_9