News COVID-19 pandemic

What will happen after the Corona epidemic?

• The population of Asia will be reduced, accelerating the sustainable development.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • The major civilizations will collapse.

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • The human race will end.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Yes, drones maybe suck. What about REAL choppers??

Great video. That's effective to break up crowds.

I don't know about Italy, but in my country most people are not used to seeing military equipment, uniforms or weapons.
So you have a added psychological effect.

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 ----------

Funny coincidence, the first helicopter just flew over here :hmm:

Medium speed but low so that you hear it well (again for psychological effect).
Equipped with surveillance equipment (a round camera hub on the underside) as far as I could see.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't know about Italy, but in my country most people are not used to seeing military equipment, uniforms or weapons.

Heh... In Switzerland, most men are used to *wearing* military equipment, uniforms or weapons... Not that much of a psychological impact other than a short moment of sympathy for the soldier. "Yeah, sucks to be you right now, but we've all been there..."

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
So you have a added psychological effect.

That was a helicopter belonging to the Carabinieri, which while technically a branch of the armed forces, operate as and are actually perceived as a "normal" police force.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
California has issued a "stay at home" order to residents as it tries to stem the march of the coronavirus across the most populous US state.
Governor Gavin Newsom told Californians they should only leave their homes when necessary during the pandemic.
He earlier estimated more than half of the 40 million people in his state would contract Covid-19 in just the next two months.
The virus has claimed 205 lives in the US and infected more than 14,000.
Globally nearly 250,000 patients have tested positive for the respiratory illness and more than 10,000 have died.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51970815

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The economic consequences of the pandemic might be severe here. After the first week, there are really many people now who are in "reduced working hours", because on one hand, people reduce their workhours if they can't work from home for protection, like working two weeks and then stay at home for two weeks. On the other hand, because of that and other restrictions, people have less business and have to reduce work because of that.

Luckily we have laws that regulate this well and compensate payment.

Almost 14000 cases today in Germany, almost 3000 more than yesterday. We had a huge jump in reported cases, but that is also because the RKI switched to electronically reported cases only, which meant that Germany-wide data is now closer to the sum of all states, instead of having a longer delay for manual transmission of the data.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
It is becoming clear to me that this moment is going to be a dividing line in our history. Wars and pandemics have ways of reshaping the world by bending the structures we thought were strong and breaking those we lacked the will to fix. At a minimum, I think we're seeing that our healthcare systems are woefully inadequate and that we are not immune to weak leadership.

We are to shelter in place until further notice here in CA. I'm guessing we're looking at a few months of this.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Cafes, pubs and restaurants must close from Friday night, except for take-away food, to tackle coronavirus, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said.
All the UK's nightclubs, theatres, cinemas, gyms and leisure centres have also been asked to close "as soon as they reasonably can".
Mr Johnson said the situation will be reviewed each month.
The chancellor has said the government will pay 80% of wages for employees who are not working, up to £2,500 a month.
Speaking at a daily Downing Street press briefing, Mr Johnson said the measures would be enforced "strictly" and that licensing arrangements will make doing so "relatively simple".
He urged people not to go out on Friday night, stressing: "For now, at least physically, we need to keep people apart."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51981653

No pubs!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
At a minimum, I think we're seeing that our healthcare systems are woefully inadequate and that we are not immune to weak leadership.

No such leadership problem here, this is what our chancellor said (You may compare this to Trumps statement on the same day): https://www.bundesregierung.de/breg-de/themen/coronavirus/statement-chancellor-1732296

Every individual counts. We are not condemned to accept the spread of this virus as an inevitable fact of life. We have the means to fight it. We must be considerate and keep a safe distance from one another. Virologists are giving us clear advice: no more handshakes, we must wash our hands thoroughly and often, and we must keep at least one and a half metre’s distance between ourselves and others. Ideally, we should avoid all contact with the elderly, because they are particularly at risk.

We are a democracy. We thrive not because we are forced to do something, but because we share knowledge and encourage active participation. This is a historic task, and it can only be mastered if we face it together.

We just have a problem here with some people not being citizens enough to care for their fellow citizens. That is why there are the first limited curfews here today, though a full curfew over Germany might be unconstitutional.

Last edited:

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine

I certainly don't want to be scare mongering, and I have no personnal assessment of it's viability, and the pro's may well out way the cons. As to side efects here's a reference:https://www.drugs.com/sfx/hydroxychloroquine-side-effects.html
Additionally it may require combination with other possibly very expensive medication eg. Remdesivir.
Vaccine research is looking good (finally full global cooperation), I just hope it doesn't take too long!

A lot of people are still not taking this seriously- Spring Break USA in full swing! WTF! Curfews seem to be necessary

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Vaccine research is looking good (finally full global cooperation), I just hope it doesn't take too long!

Any newly developed vaccine will need at least 3 to 6 months to be fully cleared for public use. And 3 months would probably be cutting several corners.

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
Any newly developed vaccine will need at least 3 to 6 months to be fully cleared for public use
Better than several years, but of course cutting corners involves risks.

S. Korea has been (initially) successful without Chinese measures; testing and confinement, I can only appeal: more TESTING!

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The US has suspended all non-essential traffic across its borders with both Mexico and Canada as it battles to control the coronavirus outbreak.
The curbs will go into effect at midnight on Saturday but will not affect trade, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Friday.
Meanwhile New York State ordered non-essential businesses to close, a day after a similar move by California.

Looks like President Trump is getting his border closure with Mexico, probably not as he thought?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51980681

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
I would just like to express my heartfelt respect, admiration and support for the medical staff on the frontline (today in Italy).
We had 3 months to prepare for this and now they are basically our only defence.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I love the caption of that image in the article:
"Health experts warn that licking any unsterilized surface poses serious risks for contracting a wide array of illnesses..."
Like, really, now people need to be told that licking random stuff is bad for your health? :lol:

I mean, I have to tell it to my son with downs syndrome over and over again, but I kind of expected it to be pretty obvious to normal human beings... :shifty:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Just when you thought it was safe to stay indoors and watch tv.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertai...news/world&link_location=live-reporting-story

Summary
Death toll passes 11,000, confirmed cases pass 275,000; nearly 90,000 recovered
One in five Americans soon to be under 'stay at home' order
Death toll in Italy rises by 627 in a day, reaching a record 4,032
Britain wakes up to shuttered pubs, restaurants and cafes
UK business leaders 'relieved' by government's wage pledge
China reports no new locally-transmitted cases for third consecutive day
Sydney closes its famous beaches, including Bondi, due to overcrowding
After months fighting the virus, Singapore reports first two deaths

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-51984399

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Good news, the number of new infections in Germany starts to drop slowly, only 2700 new cases from yesterday to today. We are at 20 cases per 100000 citizens now, with 46 official deaths.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I wonder why is there so little deaths in Germany compared to Spain, both got the same number of cases, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.