Gaming Creating an ocean exploration simulator

T1234

Reaction score
I was browsing for a free simulator that simulates ROV underwater vessels and only found commercial expensive software so was thinking about if it is feasable to make a sim that you can explore the worlds oceans like you can space in orbiter.
It could feature scuba dive planning with UMMU-like divers with MFDs, shipping,navigation,weather,the potential for addon delelopment would be huge and that would be part of the sim.So,is it worth it from a programmers point of view?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So,is it worth it from a programmers point of view?

Absolutely. I would also like to do something like that, but I lack the time.

Especially since a small 20 x 20 km map would be extremely huge for a ROV.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
The physics would be less complicated than Orbiter's.

I bet we could even get Martin to combine the two, and give Orbiter support for sub-surface operations on a planet (underwater or underground):thumbup:

That would allow for ice-drilling on Europa or Enceladus, mining on Mercury or Mars...holy crap, this is gaining more potential as we speak:idea::hmm::hail:

Last edited:

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And then integrate XPlane and just rename Orbiter: Space Simulator to Orbiter: Simulator :)

Seriously though, I concur with Urwumpe, it would be interesting.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The physics would be less complicated than Orbiter's.

I dunno, fluid dynamics is a bit more complicated than basic gravity to implement. Depending on whether modelling everything as a sphere is considered good enough, you might have to develop a coherent way of modelling fluid flow around objects, which we still dont really have implemented in Orbiter...

But this definitely would be an interesting project to play with (From Orbiter 2015 to Diver 2015? :lol:). Maybe integrating with a physics engine like bullet or the built in physics in Unity could help to solve some of these problems?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I dunno, fluid dynamics is a bit more complicated than basic gravity to implement. Depending on whether modelling everything as a sphere is considered good enough, you might have to develop a coherent way of modelling fluid flow around objects, which we still dont really have implemented in Orbiter...

Thats not much different to Orbiters aerodynamics. In fact, you can even have it a lot easier there: Because the water is practically incompressible in terms of fluid dynamics, you can use much simpler simulation models.

The dynamic behavior of partially filled ballast tanks could be much harder - but we also ignore sloshing in Orbiter.

But this definitely would be an interesting project to play with (From Orbiter 2015 to Diver 2015? :lol:). Maybe integrating with a physics engine like bullet or the built in physics in Unity could help to solve some of these problems?

Of course. If you really need it. Its not that complicated from that POV, really.

Much harder is the visuals... the lightning conditions under water are much more complex than in space.

Or the complex currents under water, which are way more complicated than just wind. You can even have waterfalls IN water.

Malky

Reaction score
I would LOVE to play this. Yes, combination with orbiter would be beyond AWESOMNESS but having two divided games and changing between them would also do - i Mean, in orbiter you would fly to Europa, in this simulator you would accomplis oceanic part of mission, and back in orbiter you would return home, or whatever.

So, please please please, create this :)

E

ex-orbinaut

This is the coolest idea / project.

Hydroacoustics and thermocline modelling, too?

T1234

Reaction score
The question is to just simulate subsurface and/or have variable surface waves,ports and weather,also how would collision detection work with the ship floating and rov's colliding with the ocean floor and reefs,also silt distribution around craft. The sub terrain mesh for the whole planet including marianas trench and mid atlantic ridge would not have to be too detailed.The water and silt effects would take up most of the space.The external camara view would just extent say 50 m from the ship.The wave weather model would extend about 10 km around and travels with the ship.Just throwing ideas out there.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why not start simple?

Unity engine as base.
Just a 20 x 20 km map without any relation to real terrain.
About 4500 meters water depth
For keeping the number of needed 3D assets low, I recommend the following test scenario: "Oil drilling support operations":
  • Semi-submersible oil drilling rig (like deep water horizon), maybe with exchangeable propeller pods
  • Ocean-going tug with ROV equipment
  • ROV
  • Industrial Diver
  • [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drilling_riser"]Drilling risers[/ame]
  • Anchors
  • Blowout Preventer/Christmas Tree

Maybe there is even a simpler playground possible... but this already looks like something that can be used for testing the simulation components and be evolved into something that supports missions/dynamic campaigns as well as sandbox games.

Last edited:

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Varying heights would need to be more complex than just a simple height field though... you'd have caves and maybe fancy stuff like undersea arches. (Sorry if this sounds obvious.)

Does anyone want to write a "Great white shark" addon? :) (Not to mention Jules Verne's "little" sub...)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Varying heights would need to be more complex than just a simple height field though... you'd have caves and maybe fancy stuff like undersea arches. (Sorry if this sounds obvious.)

Why that? In some terrains like that, you would likely not even dive with a ROV. Most of the ocean is sediment anyway. I don't see a "need to be" there. A "nice to have" maybe.

Last edited:

T1234

Reaction score
That sounds the best way to proceed is to start with a small area as Urwumpe said to get the modeling right.I can easily make a terrain trough mesh but can't program yet. For the whole planet would be a displaced map on a sphere probably.
This video is comercial software.
http://youtu.be/wZnom_u9grw

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
For the whole planet would be a displaced map on a sphere probably.

Why a whole planet? Aside of KISS argument, such an architecture decision is not needed yet, so just ignore it for now. Do such decision when it is really needed, as late as possible (LRM = Last reasonable moment).

Even for simulating the search for a Black Box of a crashed aircraft, you never need the whole planet, but rather a pretty small section of the surface.

Curvature of Earth is nice on the surface, but under water, where you can rarely see further than 50 meters, you don't need it at all. Curvature makes more sense for air and spacecraft, or if you are going to simulate naval gunnery.

Last edited:

T1234

Reaction score
What if you wanted to start in a port and go to a wreck site or mud volcanos using navigation mfd's and deploy the rov?, it would need time warp and a scenario editor. The vessel config files would have a float or sink variable for different cargos as well. Giant squid would be a difficult addon with those tenticules!:lol:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
MVP (minimum viable product) for me would be:
  • Underwater physics
  • The ability to move around
  • something to bang into (to demonstrate some of the physics better)
  • Something you can pick up and move around (The main activity in this game is searching for things and picking them up.)