Gaming Creating an ocean exploration simulator

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's super interesting as it is not happened to anyone before?
Immersion forward with this project!

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If I had a nickel for every time someone started a thread on O-F proposing some kind of awesome large-scale programming project and saying that they're not a programmer so they can't actually help, but they'll provide minor contributions...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If I had a nickel for every time someone started a thread on O-F proposing some kind of awesome large-scale programming project and saying that they're not a programmer so they can't actually help, but they'll provide minor contributions...

.... Can you buy me a Porsche? Just a tiny one? :lol:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

:shrug: enthusiasm is good. And heck, my only current Orbiter addon is still waiting for exactly that kind of contribution...

kay, said my appropriate hellos and worlds and !s for the first time in C# on linux. I suspect we aint gonna want to do this cross platform just yet though, so Ill download whatever I need to start working on windows. I already have unity installed due to an unrelated project, is there anything else I will need to start working with it on the C# side? (compiler...?)

initialized a repo, if we are all okay with working on it here:

https://github.com/BruceJohnJennerLawso/Diver

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I suspect we aint gonna want to do this cross platform just yet though

If you go with unity, cross-platform capability is pretty much included. Not without some fiddling here and there, but nothing you have to worry about in advance.

perseus

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
.... Can you buy me a Porsche? Just a tiny one? :lol:

I, I've chosen
IMAGEN-12899594-2.jpg

Submarine Lotus Esprit

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can you add me (meson800) as a contributer? I'm not quite sure how much I'll be able to contribute, but it might be interesting.

Done, also Urwumpe is added as a contributor now.

Im reading a bit on unity gamedev tonight

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Done, also Urwumpe is added as a contributor now.

Im reading a bit on unity gamedev tonight

I also read about it 5 hour ago... before going to bed. (The German iX magazine had a good series about developing with Unity last spring)

I published a "develop" branch, but before doing more, I need some more reading about how to combine Unity with git. Have a .gitignore file prepared, maybe it is a bit too generic, but it looks good at first sight.

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM ----------

OK, installed Unity, now looking at getting things started.

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

So, created an initial Unity 3D project and moved it into the workspace. Should something be too much in the set of standard assets, blame my lack of experience with Unity. I thought them to be potentially useful for getting started.

Last edited:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Make sure your all using the latest version of Unity. 4.6 brings a total overhaul to the GUI system, which makes it so much easier. Game Design is my uni course, so I can probably be of use. If you can give me details of how the physics should work I can take a stab at implementing them. The underwater rendering is all yours though, a quick test yesterday showed that a ground plane and a water plane is not sufficient.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Make sure your all using the latest version of Unity. 4.6 brings a total overhaul to the GUI system, which makes it so much easier. Game Design is my uni course, so I can probably be of use. If you can give me details of how the physics should work I can take a stab at implementing them.

Thats great, I am a complete Unity noob right now and pretty inept in C#. :lol:

I hope Loru and Woo can also help by answering some questions, they have some experience there as well.

The underwater rendering is all yours though, a quick test yesterday showed that a ground plane and a water plane is not sufficient.

I also thought so. I think I can maybe find a paper about it.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Bruce: My GitHub username is thamstras, if you want to add me to the repository. I'll take a crack this evening at getting some things going.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Look here for some demo what seems to be possible:

Of course, there is still the need to handle rendering abyssmal darkness... but for the lower depths, its already a good starting point

T1234

Reaction score
The unity website says it's possible to import meshes in wavefront and 3ds format.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK. I volunteer to have a look at NOAA databases and write a converter to make terrains.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The unity website says it's possible to import meshes in wavefront and 3ds format.

Impossible is a negotiatable term. But why do you want to use these formats anyway?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

It's best to import from autodesks .fbx format into unity. Keeps all data including skeletons and animation rigs, cameras and lots of other stuff.

Also that idea sparked a bit of interest for me which resulted in that:

deeep_rover01.jpg

hydrohawk.jpg

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Impossible is a negotiatable term. But why do you want to use these formats anyway?

He said that wavefront OBJ is supported... Which is cool, because the format is relatively simple, so I am reasonably confident that I can build a converter for NOAA data.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hmm - simple particle emiter and fog test.