General Question creating content for orbiter?

spaceman1987

Reaction score
Hi just would like to know what program do I need to use to creat content for orbiter as I have never created anything for this game before and would like to create a ship (red dwarf) :D :thumbup:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
There is "Tutorials for Add-on Developers" section on Tutorials page, for which you could find a link posted on similar threads, as also you could find on the forums "Add-on development resources" article, if you searched. What is posted there is for creating Orbiter content (add-ons).

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If you don't know much about C or C++ I would recommend making a few Spacecraft3 ships.

Try not to put everything in the first version. When I make systems I work in chunks, sometimes working non-stop for hours, then taking a week-long break. It helps me not go insane from all the coding and texturing :D

Anyway, good luck!

FuzzyLogic

Reaction score
Been tempted to start making some addons as well. I'm not bad with meshes, but as my knowledge of aerodynamics is quite basic and I lack the coding experience required for making a decent ship, I think I'll be starting with something easier.

I have plans for a surface base for Jupiter's moon Io inspired by Peter Hyams' Outland, and an UCGO rover along the lines of this

Then, if everything goes alright, I might move to more complex addons.

I've been changing jobs recently, though, and what little free time that leaves me goes to friends, family and learning Orbiter's bare basics. Maybe in a couple months I'll get to it. I'll tell you all in the addons forum then.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
make sure you do plenty of reading up before you start, then expect to do even more as you get started, as im finding out, learning is a pain, especially when texturing.

IgnoreThisBarrel

Local Pastafarian Missionary
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Making bases is always fun. But never limit yourself to making just one base, make tons! For example, say you want to "populate" Tethys with bases. Make 10 or so unique bases with Surface base Wizard. Or make one really complex base, with custom terrain, building meshes and textures, and similar things.

FuzzyLogic

Reaction score
Or make one really complex base, with custom terrain, building meshes and textures, and similar things.

Yup, that's my goal!. I've already been practising with Surface Base Wizard and Tilecalc. First I made custom "landing spots" for the Arrow freighter on the Galilean Moons. Then began toying with buildings and terrain meshes made by others, such as Kulch's Lunacity and 80mileshigh's Deepstar landing spots, mixing and matching, adding custom textures... not with the intention of ever releasing anything, but just to learn the tricks of the trade :uhh:

After... um... reverse engineering a few bases, it's time to move on to Phase II: Making my own meshes, digging nasa.gov for textures and planning for what might become the Niven or the Alpha or the Clavius or the Armstrong of Io!

It might take time, though, and not only because of my tight work schedule. As Grover pointed, problems and questions surely will arise AFTER I've started. I'll keep you updated!

spaceman1987

Reaction score
Is G-max compatible in orbiter for content creation or not? If it is what type of files do they use?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Making bases is always fun. But never limit yourself to making just one base, make tons! For example, say you want to "populate" Tethys with bases. Make 10 or so unique bases with Surface base Wizard. Or make one really complex base, with custom terrain, building meshes and textures, and similar things.

Or take an existing base and add bits to it. I quite like my version of Ascension island which has been lovingly upgraded with all sorts of extra funky bits. :lol:

---------- Post added at 15:24 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

Is G-max compatible in orbiter for content creation or not? If it is what type of files do they use?

I believe so. You export as 3ds then covert 3ds to MSH.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I think you can also just use max2msh to export directly from Gmax, should help save quite a bit of time when exporting :thumbup:

spaceman1987

Reaction score
What type of files do orbiter use for content creation?
I'll need to know so I can use it in my game and upload them after.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
What type of files do orbiter use for content creation?
I'll need to know so I can use it in my game and upload them after.

Have you ever used the forum's search function, or looked at titles of sticky threads of forums on Orbiter-Forum at least?

There is "File types and their purposes" article, that is also listed as a sticky thread on Addon Development forum.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
How would you know that until you searched? If you have a question then there is a very good chance that someone else has had the exact same question so, rather than wait for answers, and to having the same threads pop up every few months we have the search function.