Project D3D11Client Development

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by "overlay on the video", but you can close the upper Orbiter menu by right clicking on it and choosing appropriate option ("Auto-hide" or "Hide").

When you set the option to "Hide", you can bring back the options dialog box by right clicking on the top edge of the client area of the window/screen.

shacharm

Reaction score
actually, I've managed to turn off most of the displays
I'm just left with these following (shown in the image)
I have No idea how to turn them off as well..
I suppose that is the HUD? when I do ctrl+H it just changes colors.

*the version is Orbiter 2010 P2 beta, running OrbiterNG, with the D3D11Client - terrain, such that I can use 3D terrain.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've got some exciting news for you guys - I've just uploaded an initial implementation of the shadows. As the saying goes, "a picture is worth thousands of words", so check it out:
DG on the Moon.png DGIV docked to ISS.jpg Soyuz FG - 2.jpg Soyuz FG.jpg Sunset on Mars.png XR2 on runway.png
And special for Hlynkacg :tiphat::
Atlantis on the pad.jpg

Since this is just an initial version there might be some issues, artefacts, etc. Please report them here if you spot any.

Cheers! :tiphat:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
This looks great! :) I'd like to try it, but if I download from the D3D11 Client branch like in the thread linked in your signature, I appear to get an older version.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Diffraction!

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This looks great! :) I'd like to try it, but if I download from the D3D11 Client branch like in the thread linked in your signature, I appear to get an older version.

Get the D3D11 Terrain version. It worked for me. Well well done asmi ! I enjoyed a flight with docking to the ISS. The shadows on the Shuttle are awesome. :tiphat:

I know this is just a concept and it is not finished at all, but I've some things to ask:
Can you make the shadows buffer as different parameters (512, 1024, 2048 for example) ?

Also, this is not about shadows, but I've noticed that strobes of the DGIV (for example) illuminates only the DGIV itself, and not the Arrow next to it. Can you make that ?

Keep up the awesome work ! :cheers:

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Get the D3D11 Terrain version. It worked for me. Well well done asmi ! I enjoyed a flight with docking to the ISS. The shadows on the Shuttle are awesome. :tiphat:
Thanks! I love the shadows myself - it brings realism to the next level. Especially I like that as you approach ISS, your vessel shadows it as well :)

I know this is just a concept and it is not finished at all, but I've some things to ask:
Can you make the shadows buffer as different parameters (512, 1024, 2048 for example) ?
Currently I use one huge 4096x4096 float buffer that is divided into 4 buffers 2048x2048 each, so there are four cascades - it's Cascaded Shadow Map algorithm. Also I use 16-tap PCF to smooth shadows out. I think I'll add ability to lower settings, but it could seriously degrade image quality...
Current implementation is actually pretty fast as I've invented a cool way to render all four cascades in just one pass - thanks to Geometry Shader :)

Also, this is not about shadows, but I've noticed that strobes of the DGIV (for example) illuminates only the DGIV itself, and not the Arrow next to it. Can you make that ?
Well that is unfortunately a big problem since beacons are local to each vessel. I have a solution in mind, but it requires some serious code redesign, so I will do something about that later down the road.
And the same thing regarding shadows from local lights and beacons - they could have serious adverse effect on the performance.

Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, 4096 is already huge. Can we even more huge ? :lol:

I agree with you: Local light sources is an FPS dropper.

Next video -> D3D11, if I find how to hide the top informations ("I" key doesn't work). Oh,and by the way, how do you show all the infos on top like FPS and the graph ?

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Also, I found a bug:
picture.php

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, 4096 is already huge. Can we even more huge ? :lol:
No reason for it since oversampling is just as bad as undersampling.

Next video -> D3D11, if I find how to hide the top informations ("I" key doesn't work). Oh,and by the way, how do you show all the infos on top like FPS and the graph ?
Added Control+Home key to toggle HUD. Take latest & enjoy! :)

Also, I found a bug:
picture.php
What's wrong here?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've got some exciting news for you guys - I've just uploaded an initial implementation of the shadows. As the saying goes, "a picture is worth thousands of words", so check it out:
View attachment 10800 View attachment 10801 View attachment 10802 View attachment 10803 View attachment 10804 View attachment 10805
And special for Hlynkacg :tiphat::
View attachment 10806

Since this is just an initial version there might be some issues, artefacts, etc. Please report them here if you spot any.

Cheers! :tiphat:

That is unreal :woohoo:

I hate to rain on the parade, but I wanted to confirm that Heightmaps & Normalmaps went into Textures2 for the D3D11 client? I tried downloading them & installing, but I dont see anything when Orbiter gets loaded up. Is there anyconfiguration needed in the Orbiterng menu for the client at all?

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I hate to rain on the parade,
Don't do that if you hate that ;)
but I wanted to confirm that Heightmaps & Normalmaps went into Textures2 for the D3D11 client? I tried downloading them & installing, but I dont see anything when Orbiter gets loaded up. Is there anyconfiguration needed in the Orbiterng menu for the client at all?
Yes they are, and not, there are no options to control that. I assume you didn't just drop archives there, but unpacked them? :) If you did, what version to you use? Please post a screenshot of "nothing" that you see after it loads up.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't do that if you hate that ;)

Yes they are, and not, there are no options to control that. I assume you didn't just drop archives there, but unpacked them? :) If you did, what version to you use? Please post a screenshot of "nothing" that you see after it loads up.

But I like rain :lol:

I will post a shot as soon as I can, but I only see a regular Orbiter sim, lacking awesome terrain. If I have only the data needed for earth (terrain, normalmaps, textures) installed Earth still should show terrain right?

Astronut25

Reaction score
This is AWESOME!
:banana::bananadance::banana:

Here is a screenshot of my station (those shadows are great)
picture.php

My HDD died a few months ago. Although I got most of the data off, a lot of it didn't make it in one piece (my Orbiter directories were one of them). when I tried the D3D11 client again last week, the old bug that crashed it fixed itself.

I have encountered 3 minor bugs:
Some tiles are rendered in the wrong places, some are from other layers (normal/emissive)
When I zoom in really close to a vessel, the far mesh groups overlay the closer ones. (I've seen this same problem in D3D9 client)
Finally, this client appears to handle attached vessels differently (like the centrifuge in the SBB4.1 mod pictured above, it doesn't rotate)

Last edited:

iceman2000mv

Reaction score
Hi there!

Maybe somebody already asked this question but it seems I can't find it so I will try asking it again.

Is there any chance to make a version of d3d11 client for Windows XP users. D3d9 client works great for me but I would really want to see some terrain (I wanted this since the first time I played Orbiter).

Thank you very much and keep on changing the world guys!!!

iceman2000mv

Reaction score
Understood!

Then is there any way to insert the terrain generating part to d3d9 client?

Thank oyu for the quick response!

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Around this post you can read that jarmonik plans to include terrain in D3D9 client, but in the future.

:cheers:

And conditional on Martins including some sort of respectable collision detection for it in the Orbiter core. Without that, Jarmonik has said he doesnt see any point in including it.

iceman2000mv

Reaction score
I don't know about others but from my point of view I'm not necessarily looking to use Orbiter as a flight simulator in the sense that i don't want to land on the planets. I just want to make flights over the terrain and make maneuvers from low orbit to surface and back again. The really frustrating part is that after finishing a long orbital transition you end up with a flat surface regardless of the hi-res textures. I would really enjoy some 3d meshes like the asteroids from the Asteroid Pack 1.00 in the Hangar.

Thanks so much!!