Project D3D11Client Development

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
^^^Has anyone made a red supergiant system? I think that'd be pretty cool...

Are you getting them after you'll start client, then exit to the launchpad and then reload client without shutting down the launchpad? If so - it's a known bug that's been around since forever - I just neven managed to get my hands on it since there is an easy workaround - simply restart launchpad every time you're loading new scenario (or change Orbiter settings so it would respawn process every time).

That's what I thought it was, too, but on a fresh Orbiter instance, they just show up as flat black with no texture, instead.

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's what I thought it was, too, but on a fresh Orbiter instance, they just show up as flat black with no texture, instead.
I've seen this happenning when you use "Start paused" checkbox. They disappear though shortly after you "unpause" simulation...

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:55 ----------

UPDATE:
Ok guys - I've fixed VC and made yet another round of HDR adjustments. Please check it out and report if it's good.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
still isnt quite right

That issue I had in that last build, where the screen was black unless I loaded it from a very zoomed out view.

Here is from KSC:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68333863/TerrainTest/047.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68333863/TerrainTest/050.png

LEO, ISS:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68333863/TerrainTest/049.png

Still seems dark. Cant say there is too much difference on this.

Compare the Earth to this real pic:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68333863/mid-Sunrise_To_Sunset_Aboard_The_ISS_OGG.jpg

I can get a "runaway Iris" situation at times, like here, zoom out to see the whole planet and it can get quite bright but it does correct it self when zoom back in:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68333863/TerrainTest/048.png

Frogisis

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
The VCs' are back and looking as good as ever, but I'm having the same issues as Cras.

I haven't been able to figure out the exact conditions under which the brightness goes crazy, but it seems primarily to do with how much of the screen is taken up by sky vs. planet. There's a tipping point where it goes from being dull like the photo Cras posted to exploding to hypersaturated brilliance, without stopping in the middle.
External vs. cockpit view doesn't seem to make any difference, and time acceleration has a direct linear effect on how quickly the brightness changes.

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK guys, I've sorted out my RL business, and got some free time to keep working on the client. Cras - pls take the latest and check it out - now it looks right to me. And Earth getting brighter as you scroll away is normal. I'm not sure how far this will go in real world though - remember with HDR we're trying to simulate human eye, not a camera - so photos don't really help since they have much much much narrower dynamic range than eyes do. So unless I personally visit the space there is no way to get it absolutely right :)

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm just return from the nex DGIV-3 mission "Save the Idiot" (I'm beta-tester of it), and I saw that when the center of Europa is out of the screen, the planet is just diseppearing !

I saw too the black rectangle inside the "F9" markers.

I don't know if these problems are alreday written.

I'm with the D3D11 Terrain (0.4.a.20) version.

Dobrodav

Reaction score
Just a suggestion, maybe it possible to incorporate in DX 11 client functionality of "Videnie" addon ? Thats about orbit trajectories drawing. Author made it clearly that he can not work on it anymore.

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just a suggestion, maybe it possible to incorporate in DX 11 client functionality of "Videnie" addon ? Thats about orbit trajectories drawing. Author made it clearly that he can not work on it anymore.
I can't help but to quote Artlav :)
There is no question of what is possible, but only what people are willing to make and bother to do.
I think this is a good idea, but right now we're pretty busy with other stuff.

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 ----------

Hi all,
I'm just return from the nex DGIV-3 mission "Save the Idiot" (I'm beta-tester of it), and I saw that when the center of Europa is out of the screen, the planet is just diseppearing !
This should be fixed now. Please download latest & check out.

I saw too the black rectangle inside the "F9" markers.

I don't know if these problems are alreday written.

I'm with the D3D11 Terrain (0.4.a.20) version.
Please ignore for now this whole business with F9 stuff - there are so many things wrong, that I feel I need to dedicate some time to fix all of these issues at the same time.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
the sky looks pretty darn perfect I think asmi.

and orbiting the Earth, it all looks so good.

I land textures on Earth are not quite there, but this is the closest to perfect so far, for sure.

here are the few pics I got
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68333863/TerrainTest/051.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68333863/TerrainTest/053.png

I like the washed out of the earth, since that tends to be what happens, looking at the pictures, but the colour is just a bit off, I wonder what other people think about it.

But as for the glow around the earth and the sky on the surface...I think those are fixed and it is safe to move on to the next task.

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
the sky looks pretty darn perfect I think asmi.

and orbiting the Earth, it all looks so good.

I land textures on Earth are not quite there, but this is the closest to perfect so far, for sure.

here are the few pics I got
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68333863/TerrainTest/051.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/68333863/TerrainTest/053.png

I like the washed out of the earth, since that tends to be what happens, looking at the pictures, but the colour is just a bit off, I wonder what other people think about it.

But as for the glow around the earth and the sky on the surface...I think those are fixed and it is safe to move on to the next task.
OK, that's all good then - if there will be found any minor glitches - we can deal with them later on.
Tonight I was testing overall client stability, specifically I took DGIV and fly it from KSC to ISS, docked to it, refueled, and then to Mir (again with docking & refuleing) without interruption (original plan was to fly it to Moon with landing there after Mir, but I badly screwed up TLI, and so I've decided to cancel that) - all in 1920x1200 fullscreen mode with Map MFD being ON all the time, and client worked just fine, which suggests me that this issue with that MFD is done. To confirm that I'd like to ask you guys to test client stability by doing some long flights like the one I did without interrupting silumation - just to confirm that this issue is indeed gone and fixed. Please report if you'll find any issues during that.

MachJok

Reaction score
[BUG] XR-2

The XR-2 occasionally gets sent off at random angles and velocities which prove fatal for the crew. It appears oapiMeshGroupCount and oapiMeshGroup may not be supported by the client. Thanks for the awesome client I love the lighting. I have about 1000 virtual MMU funerals to attend to now.

--
Side note, the sun appears to clip at the edge of the atmosphere when viewed from space. It is a big orb then goes to the default small sun.

Frogisis

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
It's looking a lot better for me, too - The brightness explosions are gone, and when zoomed out the planets and such take on this heavenly glow like you see in photos.
I know the idea is to simulate the eye, but photos are really the only reference most of us have as to what "looks right."

One strange thing is happening, though - I'll post a video later but I have to be getting out the door - Anyway, when the brightness level is changing, it happens in "blobs" over the surface of the planet, as if watercolor paints were spreading out from the planet's brighter, more saturated areas. They grow together into solid brightness as you zoom out, and break back apart and shrink to nothing as you zoom in. It's not a dealbreaker by any means, but it looks kind of strange to me. Maybe it's intentional, to simulate the dazzle you sometimes get from looking at, say, bright snow or sand, but my eyes certainly don't handle it that way.

I was also wondering if you planned on adding extra full-screen brightness when looking directly at the sun, since that's certainly something that causes the human eye to go bonkers.

It's looking great, though. I can't wait for all the new clouds and terrain, too.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'd like to try things out. What do I need to get to run the very latest alpha/beta?

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'd like to try things out. What do I need to get to run the very latest alpha/beta?
You can just download latest from "D3D11Client - Terrain" branch and install it. But before you do it, please back up everything that you won't like to be lost - just in case - this is an alpha version, so something may well be wrong.
It's best to have a separate instance of Orbiter for that alpha.

If you want to test terrain as well, please PM me and I will send you links to heightmap files, but please be aware that they are LARGE (~2Gb each, there are 3 of them - for Earth, Moon and Mars), and they may be changed several times during the course of this alpha test so forcing you to re-download them - that's why we don't publish these links until we'll settle of the file format.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You can just download latest from "D3D11Client - Terrain" branch and install it. But before you do it, please back up everything that you won't like to be lost - just in case - this is an alpha version, so something may well be wrong.
It's best to have a separate instance of Orbiter for that alpha.
Removed previous report s it is now gone for unknown reasons. Will keep an eye on things though.

Here's the specs:
Code:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2310 2x2.9GHz
System RAM: 10 GB
Video card:  NVIDIA  GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Orbiter version: 111105
D3D11Client version: 0.4.a.22, June 18 2012

If you want to test terrain as well, please PM me and I will send you links to heightmap files, but please be aware that they are LARGE (~2Gb each, there are 3 of them - for Earth, Moon and Mars), and they may be changed several times during the course of this alpha test so forcing you to re-download them - that's why we don't publish these links until we'll settle of the file format.
No need right now.

Last edited:

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Removed previous report s it is now gone for unknown reasons. Will keep an eye on things though.
There is a shader compilation process going on during first launch, and it can take up to several minutes. Since you interrupted it, there might be some corrupted shaders, so I'd suggest you to navigate to %TEMP%\D3D11Client_ShadersCache folder, delete everything, re-start client and wait for the compilation to be completed.
Subsequent runs use cached compiled shaders so startup is much faster afterwards.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
There is a shader compilation process going on during first launch, and it can take up to several minutes. Since you interrupted it, there might be some corrupted shaders, so I'd suggest you to navigate to %TEMP%\D3D11Client_ShadersCache folder, delete everything, re-start client and wait for the compilation to be completed.
Subsequent runs use cached compiled shaders so startup is much faster afterwards.
No issues now. Everything including SSU is working as normal. One thing though: It seems local lights doesn't work in VC view. I tried lighting up the payload bay with the floodlights and while they did work in external view, nothing showed in the VC view.

Will continue more testing.

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
One thing though: It seems local lights doesn't work in VC view. I tried lighting up the payload bay with the floodlights and while they did work in external view, nothing showed in the VC view.
Yes right now local lights are not supported for VC at the moment. For VCs honestly this idea really stuck in my head, so I'm thinking of implementing that thing, which will greatly expand capabilities of VCs.
For now I will get to vessel lighting soon, and then I'll implement local lights support.

Will continue more testing.
Thank you for your help in testing!

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's another big VC item. It seems like VC meshes are rendered over other meshes essentially hiding them from view. I don't know if you can see it in the D3D11Client screenshot but if compare the two I think you'll see the problem.

STS-1 with DFI pallet in the payload bay (D3D9Client):
STS1_D3D9Client.jpg

STS-1 with DFI pallet in the payload bay (D3D11Client):
STS1_D3D11Client.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 AM ----------

After playing around with things I have gotten an impression that the D3D11Client is much darker than either the default D3D7 or D3D9Client. Even local lights which are plenty powerful otherwise lose much of their power and brightness in the D3D11Client.

Also on the whole VC darkness issue: Could it have something do with the emissive material settings? That is how VCs are "lit up", they make use of very high emissive settings. It almost seems like that isn't used on meshes that are loaded as VC meshes.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For the Space Shuttle, I have something like FSX's cockpit view: The cockpit mesh is in the very front of the camera, hiding all others objects.