New Release D3D9Client Development

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
DockingCamera

Hi jarmonik,
am I missing some important thing (setting)? When running your 'proof of concept' DockingCamera, I only get "No Graphics Client" on the screen. Shouldn't there be "more"?

-------------------------

Ahhh! got it. The VS210 project files were not updated and therefore OgciExtensions.cpp wasn't compiled and linked :facepalm:
Sorry for the noise.
I will commit the updated Project files later on.

Attachments

• DockingCamera.jpg
    DockingCamera.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
DockingCamera

Just in case someone with Visual Studio 2010 likes to compile ;)
Except for the project file(s) it's the same as jarmonik's original post #2918 above

/Kuddel

Attachments

• DockingCamera(2).zip
    10 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have noticed a small quirk/bug what have you. In the R14 version of the client, launching Shuttle Fleet 4.8, after the SRBs seperate the Umbilical doors snap to closed position and the animation seems to break.

I reverted back to 12a and the umbilical door behavior is back to nominal, meaning they stay in the open position until I trigger the animation sequence via keyboard shortcut.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Then you might take a look at others that have done this (like OrbiterSound or similar).
OrbiterSound is using a link library OrbiterSoundSDK.lib like it is usually done. However, linking dynamically using GetProcAddress() would make the interface a little more relaxed. Less sensitive to modifications and possibly different functions provided by different clients. OpenGL uses a similar solution.

You might need to split this into:
- A function declaration (with default parameters)
- and a typedef for convenient use (without default parameters)

That sounds like a good idea.

I'll take a look at this once I find some more time (christmas shopping terror, you know ;) )

I already did mine. Not sure if it's done properly, if done before a horrible rush. :lol:

---------- Post added at 05:26 ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 ----------

I have noticed a small quirk/bug what have you. In the R14 version of the client, launching Shuttle Fleet 4.8, after the SRBs seperate the Umbilical doors snap to closed position and the animation seems to break.

I reverted back to 12a and the umbilical door behavior is back to nominal, meaning they stay in the open position until I trigger the animation sequence via keyboard shortcut.

Sounds, like something gone broken during a dynamic animation implementation. I don't recall any other changes between 12 and 14.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What should we do with the Shader Model 2.0 support ? If we raise the minimum system requirements to DirectX 9.0c at-least from the Beta branch then we would have one thing less to worry about. Also, doing the same for P1 branch would help to convert some features from beta branch to P1.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't think that many people, if any, uses the Shader Model 2.0, that they sticked to the inline client if SM3.0 wasn't working.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I´ve tried the D3d9 for the first time, it´s great, and I thank so much to the people who develop this addons for our sim, you´re the best:thumbup:, but I have a small issue, all the ships textures are now blurred, in every single one (default or downloaded), even in the virtual cockpit, also the runway textures and some more.

In the standar Orbiter they look like this:
dg2_zps8d227502.jpg

But when I start the Orbiter_NG, and activate the D3D9 client, they appear like this:
dg1_zpsea8c8f3e.jpg

Sorry if this was aked before, but I read a lot of pages in this thread and search on the rest of the forum but I couldn´t find a solution.

I have Orbiter 2010 P1 and D3D9Client R14, I also tried the R10, but I have the same problem, Is there a way to fix it? Thank you very much.

I believe this is Anisotropic filtering. I have the same issue (Intel HD 3000). I'm not sure why it's a problem for this chipset. It can be fixed by carrying out the following:

Currently, you can change the filtering from D3D9Client.fx located in /Modules/D3D9Client/. Just find the word "ANISOTROPIC" and change it to "LINEAR" or "POINT".

(Edited quote from post #1834)

I see a similar effect with blurred textures in FSX when I select Anisotropic, rather than Bilinear/Trilinear filtering.

Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
jarmonik said:
[...]what's the story behind Beta 1+2 and Beta 3 branches ?[...]
Just for your information:
I had to rename those branches because the f:censored:ing codeplex implementation of SVN protocol does not like spaces in branch/tag names...grrr I am starting to dislike codeplex more each day...
So now it's:

• branches/BETA_1_+_2
  • branches/BETA_3
but those should not have been of any concern for you, anyway ;)

/Kuddel

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I had to rename those branches because the f:censored:ing codeplex implementation of SVN protocol does not like spaces in branch/tag names...grrr I am starting to dislike codeplex more each day...

Isn't Codeplex's native format TFSVC? If so, perhaps it is possible to use the new VS Express edition to use TFS directly from the IDE instead of fiddling with the SVN bridge.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Isn't Codeplex's native format TFSVC? If so, perhaps it is possible to use the new VS Express edition to use TFS directly from the IDE instead of fiddling with the SVN bridge.
Yes I think that's what they are using internal. But I am not sure how well that can be used by the Express versions...and I normally like SVN very much ;)
Another switch in version-control is something I would like to avoid.
Sooner or later I will setup a server anyway, so that I have full control. But that's something for the far future.

Blue_hypergiant

Reaction score
I believe this is Anisotropic filtering. I have the same issue (Intel HD 3000). I'm not sure why it's a problem for this chipset. It can be fixed by carrying out the following:

(Edited quote from post #1834)

I see a similar effect with blurred textures in FSX when I select Anisotropic, rather than Bilinear/Trilinear filtering.

Its solved, there was nothig wrong with the addon, I had the anisotropic disabled in the graphics driver configuration (I´ve never used it), so it was my fault:facepalm: Everything works fine now:thumbup:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How is Merging supposed to work in TortoiseSVN ? I would like to merge the latest changes from a P1 branch to my local working copy of Beta branch (trunk). I have usually done that manually using WinMerge but I though I could give a try for a more automated merging to speed up the work.

Here's what I have tried:

1. For my Beta-2014-LocalDir -> TortoiseSVN-> Merge...
2. Selecting the range to merge. Other settings default.
3. Merge depth "Working Copy"
4. I'll get an error "RA layer request failed!"

How is this supposed to work ? :shrug:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
D3D9Client R15 Beta 1 for Orbiter 2010-P1

Here's a new development snap-shot from the client.

- Shuttle Fleet animation issue should be fixed.
- Diffuse particle effects adjusted.
- Removed SM 2.0 shaders (i.e. DirectX 9.0c required now on).
- Cleaned up and optimized some shader codes to run faster.
- Proof of concept implementation of client interface and (DockingCamera MFD in sample folder)
- Experimental geometry instancing implementation.

I think the geometry instancing is the biggest feature in this release. Although, I am somewhat disappointed to the performance boost it's giving. So far, I have measured about +10-20% boost to the frame rate when I was expecting something like +50-70%. Of course, this can be a hardware dependent.

The instancing allows to render a multiple mesh-groups with a single draw call to the DirectX, reducing the draw call count down to one third. A small problem is that the rendering order of the mesh-groups are changed a bit, so, this can cause problems with some meshes. There are work-a-rounds for these problems but I am not sure if the 10-20% is worth the trouble. If that's the best it can give.

Currently:
- Normal maps must be disabled when testing instancing.
- Some virtual cockpit elements like MFDs are not yet working with instancing.
- Shadows are not yet rendering correctly.

EDIT: Prebuild binary of the docking camera MFD is also installed with the package. The MFD is only a demo nothing more, not a real docking MFD.

Attachments

• D3D9ClientR15-Beta1.zip
    859.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Installed it, I can't see any DockingCamera MFD or something close when selecting MFDs. I activated in on the Modules tab though.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
How is Merging supposed to work in TortoiseSVN ? I would like to merge the latest changes from a P1 branch to my local working copy of Beta branch (trunk). I have usually done that manually using WinMerge but I though I could give a try for a more automated merging to speed up the work.

Here's what I have tried:

1. For my Beta-2014-LocalDir -> TortoiseSVN-> Merge...
2. Selecting the range to merge. Other settings default.
3. Merge depth "Working Copy"
4. I'll get an error "RA layer request failed!"

How is this supposed to work ? :shrug:
That's all 100% right! But unfortunately codeplex does not support this operation (another thing I hate about codeplex :/ )
I usually copied the changes from one woking copy to the other and did a commit with the log message stating what revisions were 'merged'.
It's not really complex but not nice since also the merge-operation is not 'logged' in the repository history by codeplex' implementation.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks for looking into the Shuttle Fleet animation issue. I hope to have some time tonight to test it out and confirm.

Cheers

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That's all 100% right! But unfortunately codeplex does not support this operation (another thing I hate about codeplex :/ )

I am sorry to hear that. I wasn't aware of situation being that bad. I guess every service has it down-sides. At least, they aren't throwing ads on your face and the end-user downloads are well visible and easy to find. What alternatives do we have ?

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

Installed it, I can't see any DockingCamera MFD or something close when selecting MFDs. I activated in on the Modules tab though.
That's odd. It's been working here without any issues. Anyone else having issues with it ? Have you tried to rebuild from a sources ?

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's odd. It's been working here without any issues. Anyone else having issues with it ? Have you tried to rebuild from a sources ?

Last time I tried to rebuild from sources I missed a large amount of libraries and whatnots, so I simply did not continue on.

I'll try to rebuild from source when I'll have more time to spare (maybe later this night).

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

What alternatives do we have ?

For a project that needs downloads, wiki pages and uses SVN already I'd guess SourceForge.
Personally after testing several code hosting services I sticked to GitHub, it's simple, has wiki support and they have restored their "release" feature where you can attach a file to download with a certain revision number. I think you can even have a little GitHub website (the 2048 web game was stored on a GitHub website). The only downside would be to port from SVN to Git.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Got a chance to drop in the new R15 build and it does indeed fix the Shuttle Fleet animation issue. Thanks so much! Look forward to getting back from the holidays and have a nice long Orbiter session with the new build, see how the new features work and frame rate increases.

Cheers

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
New build of the Client for Orbiter 2015 Rev 9 is available form CodePlex.