New Release D3D9Client Development

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Do you have it installed on an NTFS or FAT file system? Junctions require Windows 2000 and NTFS, so I don't think it's because you don't have SP3 on your Windows XP, but rather it could be because of incompatible file system.
Junctions work well enough for me on XP SP3 (with NTFS).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

Runs on:

Client: Windows XP and higher.
Server: Windows Server 2003 and higher.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Junctions work well enough for me on XP SP3 (with NTFS).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

Runs on:

Client: Windows XP and higher.
Server: Windows Server 2003 and higher.

My post wasn't about the program called "Junctions", but about reparse points called junctions, which can be used since Windows 2000 on an NTFS5 (3.0) and newer versions of the file system.

If Orbiter is installed on a FAT16/FAT32 partition/thumb drive, you can't make there junctions even if you have Windows 8.

Interceptor

Reaction score
OK,so,I can't get the the junctions option to work,so I would just copy the sound folder,multistage2,and spacecraft folders into the Modules\Server\Config folder,to get the same results?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi! I have this mysterious light blob issue while using almost every night time scenario with a runway in sight with various add-ons using the D3D9 client. Does anybody here have this similar problem? :shrug:

Yes. See http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=343518&postcount=1294
It seems it only occurred for me on an Intel GMA Express 965 chipset laptop when using celestial backgrounds. Haven't tried it recently. Jarmonik suggested it was runway-light related.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I would just copy the sound folder,multistage2,and spacecraft folders into the Modules\Server\Config folder,to get the same results?
No. Sound directory not to the Config folder but just in Modules\Server, i.e. you have there orbiter.exe in Modules\Server, and the Sound directory and other required files should be in the same subdirectories relative to it like in the Orbiter's root folder.

Interceptor

Reaction score
No. Sound directory not to the Config folder but just in Modules\Server, i.e. you have there orbiter.exe in Modules\Server, and the Sound directory and other required files should be in the same subdirectories relative to it like in the Orbiter's root folder.
Thanks orb.:cheers:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi jarmonik,

here are the (first) fixes to make the D3D9Client "Orbiter121023 compatible":

It's only in FileParser.cpp and based on your last (R5c) release.

Regards,
Kuddel

Attachments

• D3D9ClientR5c+++.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 8

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
D3D9Client R6 for Beta 121023

Here is R6 build for Orbiter Beta 121023. This build includes the junction and fileparser fixes from Kuddel.

Note: This build doesn't work with Orbiter 2010-P1

Attachments

• D3D9ClientR6_121023.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 44

Phoenix

Reaction score
Yes. I've seen this same thing several times, but I've never been able to figure out how to reliably recreate the problem. I only see the visual blob when I have the external view open, and it only happens from certain angles. It's never caused any actual problems, so I've just ignored it, but it would be nice if the problem could be located and solved.

I get this problem occasionally too using the Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset. I also can't seem to identify why it sometimes appears and sometimes doesn't. These large, sometimes flashing, blobs of light appear at the 0, 0 coordinates of the base. I don't know if this information will help locate what's causing the problem, but I also get some undefined runway lights appearing nearby, as shown in the image below, and sometimes two sets, both of which point to the base origin (0, 0):

Attachments

• Runway lighting problem.jpg
    Runway lighting problem.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to produce the runway lights problem with some other hardware than Intel ?

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to produce the runway lights problem with some other hardware than Intel ?

Unfortunately I don't have anything other than Intel HD3000 and GMA965 Express to try out on. I still get the runway lights problem in the latest beta build:
picture.php

linked (as far as I can tell) to celestial sphere background (and you can also see the disappearing runway lights here too)

In the beta I think Martins' new pad 39B suffers from the object shadows bug:
picture.php

although the original VAB etc doesn't cause the same issue:
picture.php

can't remember if this was some kind of mesh-flagging issue?

D3D9 Client still looks great and gives me a 2/3x framerate improvement. Many thanks - W.E.

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I get odd object shadows around Wideawake.

OzQi8.jpg

Running Orbiter 2010P1 (start up screen says it's the August 30 2010 build) w/ D3D9Client R5. Nvidia GTX 660M GPU.

eddievhfan1984

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks and a couple of requests

First off, thanks SO much for the work you guys have been doing. With your engine and even a GeForce GTS 250M, I've been able to get 200+ framerates, easy. It's so awesome.

Anyhow, I have a couple of requests:

1.) I have a laptop with an HDMI out, and I used it to dual-screen occasionally. Would it be possible to support multi-screen displays? Namely: one screen for Orbiter with MSAA and anisotropic filtering, the works; and use the other to refer to checklists (NASSP user, dont'cha know... :p)

2.) Since I can get ridiculous rates, but I only have a 60Hz screen, and I want to better manage thermal loads on the computer, is it possible to place a framerate cap on the client, to free up resources (or to keep my laptop case from superheating)?

Thanks again.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I get odd object shadows around Wideawake.
Running Orbiter 2010P1 (start up screen says it's the August 30 2010 build) w/ D3D9Client R5. Nvidia GTX 660M GPU.
There are two work-a-rounds:
- You can disable object shadows from visual effects tab or
- You can add UNDERSHADOWS flag into the mesh sections of base configuration file

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

1.) I have a laptop with an HDMI out, and I used it to dual-screen occasionally. Would it be possible to support multi-screen displays? Namely: one screen for Orbiter with MSAA and anisotropic filtering, the works; and use the other to refer to checklists (NASSP user, dont'cha know... :p)
I don't have multi-display configuration available at a moment so I can't test. But, If I recall the check-list are written with excel, so what's the problem ? Can't you use windows in one display while running orbiter into the other ? Does the Orbiter spawn in both screens ?

2.) Since I can get ridiculous rates, but I only have a 60Hz screen, and I want to better manage thermal loads on the computer, is it possible to place a framerate cap on the client, to free up resources (or to keep my laptop case from superheating)?
That's already implemented. Just uncheck the "Disable vertical sync" from the video tab.

eddievhfan1984

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
1. Well, I mean keeping one display with with true fullscreen operation (with the aforementioned anti-aliasing), and freeing up the other for regular Windows ops. When I try to use the dual-screen configuration, it just causes the screen to be stretched across both devices, which I don't want. I have been using the other "fullscreen" modes, but I'd really like to try more.

2. I already keep VSync off, I'm talking about placing a hard upper limit on the framerate, in the configuration file, or something like that.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
1. Well, I mean keeping one display with with true fullscreen operation (with the aforementioned anti-aliasing), and freeing up the other for regular Windows ops. When I try to use the dual-screen configuration, it just causes the screen to be stretched across both devices, which I don't want. I have been using the other "fullscreen" modes, but I'd really like to try more.
You should get what you want in DualView mode. How is set the dual display mode in your setup (in the NVidia control panel)?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I typically use the "extended desktop" mode in Windows default screen swapping.
I'm not sure what to choose in your case. Choosing NVidia's TwinView mode looks completely different for me in Windows XP, in which I can choose Stretched, Cloned, or DualView mode.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need VSync ON to cap frame rates?
No. You don't need VSync for that. You can cap frame rates another way (programmatically) if you need to do it independently of the monitor refresh rates, when you want to specify only the maximum refresh rate. VSync is used only to cap them to the monitor refresh rate and its divisors, to prevent visible on screen tearing.