New Release D3D9Client Development

HarvesteR

Reaction score
Looking great so far!!

Here's a screenshot of it running @ 3840x1024 resolution

OrbiterD3D9TripleHead.jpg

As you mentioned there were some weird effects at ground level... apparently the renderer isn't clearing the upper atmosphere (viewed from ground)... also when the camera is below ground...

Anyways, great work!! this is coming along incredible!! :thumbup:

Cheers

rstr

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Widescreen problem with HUD

Hi. I am running 3 monitor widescreen with NVidia 3D shutter glasses, using D3D9Client2_d2 on Orbiter 2010 ng with 64bit Windows and DX11.
While the view from outside looks phantastic at 5760 x 1080 and in 3D, in cockpit view (e.g. on delta glider) the HUD (any mode) is grossly enlarged both in width and height.
I've adapted panel scale from parameter's section to correct size (that works well), and played with "generic MFD size" setting, but to no avail regarding the HUD display. Also, same situation whether run in 3D full screen or 2D windowed mode.

I'd appreciate a hint on how to resize the HUD for widescreen.
Best Regards - Rob

P.S.: Thanks for the D3D9 client - really great work, making a dream come true in 3D and widescreen.

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm jealous !!:rolleyes:

rstr

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
D3D9Client2_d2 completeness

Hi jarmonik.
When testing D3D9Client2_d2 on a fresh installation of 2010P1, I am getting some weird effects when trying to yaw or bank in earth orbit - stars leave trails while earth is rotating / shifting fine. Also it looks like the NG video config section looks a bit distorted, e.g. there's just a checkbox where the checkbox and description "alpha back buffer" should be. And, there is just a D3D9ClientSL shown in the modules graphics engine config section.
This does not happen when I overlaid an old installation that had previous versions of D3D9 with the new D3D9Client2_d2.

So I am wondering whether the D3D9Client2_d2.zip content is complete, or whether it is just an update to whatever needs to be in place before. Kindly please shed some light on per-requisites.
Thanks in advance (and for your great work) - Rob

Last edited:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So I am wondering whether the D3D9Client2_d2.zip content is complete, or whether it is just an update to whatever needs to be in place before. Kindly please shed some light on per-requisites.
Thanks in advance (and for your great work) - Robert S.
Hi,

The D3D9Client2_d2 isn't complete and it's released for testing an experimental planet/sky/horizon rendering technique. It's not ment to work any better than that at a moment. The latest official release is RC10 and it's located in the first post of this thread. It should be pretty stable and well working.

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

I'd appreciate a hint on how to resize the HUD for widescreen.

The HUD is build by the Orbiter and there is not much I can do about it. It would be good idea to post this issue in the bug tracker in a Orbiter core project.

Orbiter seems to be using screen width for scaling when screen height might work better.

rstr

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It would be good idea to post this issue in the bug tracker in a Orbiter core project.
Thanks, jarmonik - done, though I would not dare to call it a bug; I posted the issue as feature request instead
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/project.php?issueid=724

I'm jealous !!
Well, to share an impression of what it looks like, here are two images of 6088x1080 3 monitor display in 2D:

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2176&ppuser=1183

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2177&ppuser=1183

As you can image, in 3D with shutter glasses, it's next best to being there - thanks to the great work in Visualization Project :thumbup:
You know, my dad was a teen at the time Apollo11 landed, and the stories he told me about what could be achieved was forever influencing my life. Hence, Orbiter and some great add-ons like NASSP and D3D9 are bringing back memories of mankind's greatest adventure, and making the experience as real as it may get for someone bound by laws of gravity are worth every dime one can spare for that hardware.
Regards - Rob

Last edited:

rstr

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Still D3D9RC10 Video config problem

Hi,

The latest official release is RC10 and it's located in the first post of this thread. It should be pretty stable and well working.

I re-installed all of RC10, but I am still facing the warped video tab - see screenshot on

Previous D3D9 client (not quite sure which RC that was, it's 565760 bytes in size) did not show this problem - see screenshot

Log file does not show anything suspicious.

Regards - Rob

Last edited:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I re-installed all of RC10, but I am still facing the warped video tab - see screenshot on

The alpha backbuffer option has never had any effect in operation of D3D9Client and the label was removed some time ago. But it is possible that a future versions of D3D9Client could use that feature. The D3D9Client is using the same video tab as the inline engine with renamed labels. The Orbiter isn't designed to allow a graphics client to replace the video tab or any other tabs with their own variants.

luki1997a

Reaction score
Wow! Great work!
This is just amazing!
Can you see this bug in the welcome scenario? At the begining textures at KSC are very dark.
This client is just amazing!!!:OMG:
Why d3d9client is falling with DGIV and multistage/spacecraft3 vessels;/? Can't you fix it? It will be veery good.

I'm realy sorry for my bad english!

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wow! Great work!
This is just amazing!
Can you see this bug in the welcome scenario? At the begining textures at KSC are very dark.
That should be fixed from the next release.

Why d3d9client is falling with DGIV and multistage/spacecraft3 vessels;/? Can't you fix it?
Sorry, I can't fix that. The problem is that the Orbiter_ng isn't as resistant for application errors as the Orbiter it self. It's not a problem in the Orbiter but still Martin is the only one who can do something about it and that may take some time.

HarvesteR

Reaction score
Thanks, jarmonik - done, though I would not dare to call it a bug; I posted the issue as feature request instead
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/project.php?issueid=724

Well, to share an impression of what it looks like, here are two images of 6088x1080 3 monitor display in 2D:

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2176&ppuser=1183

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2177&ppuser=1183

As you can image, in 3D with shutter glasses, it's next best to being there - thanks to the great work in Visualization Project :thumbup:
You know, I was a teen at the time Apollo11 landed, and seeing what could be achieved was forever influencing my life. Hence, Orbiter and some great add-ons like NASSP and D3D9 are bringing back memories of mankind's greatest adventure, and making the experience as real as it may get for someone bound by laws of gravity are worth every dime one can spare for that hardware.
Regards - Rob.

How did you get the 2D panel to contain itself to the center screen?
Mine is spread out all over :compbash2:

I'm using RC10, 3840x1024 res.

Cheers

rstr

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
How did you get the 2D panel to contain itself to the center screen?
Mine is spread out all over :compbash2:

I'm using RC10, 3840x1024 res.

Cheers

Hi HarvesteR;
just set "Panel Scale" to 0.3 on the "Parameters" tab of the Launchpad.
Happy flying - Rob

-Apollo-

Reaction score
Okey, I have a problem here, when i press F4 and the dropdown menu shows, it's just flashing, and i can see the buttons only when mouse pointer is over them, so what should i do ?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Okey, I have a problem here, when i press F4 and the dropdown menu shows, it's just flashing, and i can see the buttons only when mouse pointer is over them, so what should i do ?
I have never seen anything like that.

Does it happen in a fullscreen mode or windowed mode ?
What OS you have ?
What kind of video card you have ?

-Apollo-

Reaction score
I have never seen anything like that.

Does it happen in a fullscreen mode or windowed mode ?
What OS you have ?
What kind of video card you have ?

Fullscreen
XP SP3
Ati Radeon 4350HD
and i tried all version, problem is still there :beathead:

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Fullscreen
XP SP3
Ati Radeon 4350HD

It must be a driver problem related in Direct3DDevice9::SetDialogBoxMode() operation. It's probably a rare thing that a fullscreen application is using a GDI dialogs in a fullscreen mode. The windowed "fullscreen" mode that is introduced in D3DClient2_D2 might be a solution to overcome the problem but the D2 is released to test an experimental rendering technique and it isn't usable.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Fullscreen
XP SP3
Ati Radeon 4350HD
Are you running any other applications? I have some applications that force themselves on top of other windows and they can have this sort of effect in Win XP (Yahoo Widgets, Timeleft, Panasonic Phone Assistant come to mind).

rstr

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Minor bug report:
MFDMapVersion = 0 "old style" in Orbiter_NG.cfg is not correctly displaying a bitmap (MoonM.bmp 2048x1024x24) with D3D9RC10. OGLA client is working fine, as is standard orbiter.exe ("orb" has kindly helped :tiphat: to analyze that it is not a bug in Orbiter_NG.exe)

For screenshots etc. see
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/project.php?issueid=746

Regards - Rob