New Release D3D9Client Development

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
D3D9ClientRC23

Here is the RC23.

There are no major changes. Some 2D Panel blitting issues related in colorkey are fixed. And a few changes are made into the surface interface.

New parameter (RejectRTDC) is added in D3D9Client.cfg. When this parameter is set to one the D3D9Client will reject every attempt to GetDC into a Render Target Surface. When the parameter is zero the GDI access is allowed with some penalty in the framerate. The (NVPerfHUD) parameter will enable the NVidia Frame Debugger with D3D9Client.

Last edited:

Disconnect

Reaction score
I get random crashes with dx9 client. For example, i load demo/ docked on ISS scenario, the game loads in, i don't see iss first because it's still loading, and when the first 3d mesh spacecraft should appear the game crashes. Sometimes it crash, sometimes not. Now i've loaded 4 times demo/ DG ISS approach scenario, i got 3 crashes when the 3d cockpit should appear. No any errors in d3d9 log, just crash:

Fault Module Name: D3D9Client.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4df26ff9
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0001221e
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1038
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

And since RC23 the textures on everwhere, looking bad. Looks like a very low resolution textures with huge pixels, also the loading screen have tiles that are misaligned. See the attachment.

mipmap settings in driver set to high quality+ 16x AF

Attachments

• load.jpg
    load.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 37
  • textures.jpg
    textures.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I finally got to running orbiter again and the D3D9 client is nice. one quick question. I was trying to land at night and none of the runway lights were working (which made landing a bit tricky). Is this something I've done wrong or an issue with D3D9? It's a fresh install. Works fine with the inbuild D3d7 client. Tried it at both KSC and WIN.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
It's a known issue, if I've understood it correctly it's something that affects all external graphics clients, as if information about the lights wasn't passed along from the Orbiter core to the clients.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I get random crashes with dx9 client.

Is the CTD a new issue in RC23 or does it exist in older versions as well ?

mipmap settings in driver set to high quality+ 16x AF

I made some experiments with a point filter and forgot to set the filter back to linear.

Texture filtering options are defined in D3D9Client.fx file in /Modules/D3D9Client/ folder.

Current setting is:

Code:
sampler Tex0S = sampler_state       // Primary Mesh texture sampler
{
    Texture = <gTex0>;
    MinFilter = ANISOTROPIC;
    MagFilter = POINT;
    MipFilter = LINEAR;
    MaxAnisotropy = 4;
    MipMapLODBias = 0;
    AddressU = WRAP;
    AddressV = WRAP;
};
You can change it to:

Code:
sampler Tex0S = sampler_state       // Primary Mesh texture sampler
{
    Texture = <gTex0>;
    MinFilter = ANISOTROPIC;
    MagFilter = LINEAR;
    MipFilter = LINEAR;
    MaxAnisotropy = 4;
    MipMapLODBias = 0;
    AddressU = WRAP;
    AddressV = WRAP;
};

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Another little animations glitch about Thorton's SoyuzTMA (not new to RC23, I just discovered it) : when the BO is jettisoned, the engine cover animation doesn't work anymore (when you press "E" to set the cover open/closed).

Disconnect

Reaction score
Is the CTD a new issue in RC23 or does it exist in older versions as well ?

I made some experiments with a point filter and forgot to set the filter back to linear.

Yes it happened frequently in RC22 too, but not so frequently in older releases.
This crash never happens in scenario with XR-5 on cape canaveral.

I've changed the filter but the loading screen haven't changed, but the 3d is good.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Another little animations glitch about Thorton's SoyuzTMA (not new to RC23, I just discovered it) : when the BO is jettisoned, the engine cover animation doesn't work anymore (when you press "E" to set the cover open/closed).

I can reproduce this one.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Great work on RC23, mate! It renders the XR panels perfectly now -- "you' da man!" :tiphat:

EDIT:
I should clarify that it works perfectly with the upcoming XR patch versions, which should be ready in a few days. [I want to thank Jarmonik for all his help via PM on how I could improve XR compatibility and performance with the D3D9 client. :tiphat:] Although the data HUD still doesn't work in the the publicly released XR versions, that is not a D3D9 client bug: the new XR patch versions use the Sketchpad interface for the HUD, which fixes the problem.

Last edited:

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Is there a way to get some ambient light using the D3D9Client module? I've noticed even if my Ambient light level is set to 255, there is no ambient light inside of Orbiter. When I'm on the back of the moon, the screen is pure black. (Am I doing something wrong?)

LunAS.jpg

From the install.log file:
Code:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       Q 720  @ 1.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is there a way to get some ambient light using the D3D9Client module? I've noticed even if my Ambient light level is set to 255, there is no ambient light inside of Orbiter. When I'm on the back of the moon, the screen is pure black. (Am I doing something wrong?)

It's a bug and it will be fixed in RC24

martinhedin

Reaction score
The spacecraft3 problem - It is not a perfect workaround, since the conversions not always works, or the ship might loose some functionality, but the Sc3 to DLL is a good way to use Spacecraft3 vessels with D3D9. Maybe someone have not been thinking about it, just wanted to point it out.

[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5177"]Spacecraft3 to DLL&C++ converter 110509[/ame]

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Does the "DATA HUD (HOLD)" information screen come up for you under D3D9Client?

Yes, but not in the publicly released XR versions. :) It works in the upcoming XR patches versions, though, which should be out in a few days. [The new XRs now use the sketchpad interface for the HUD.]

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
D3D9Client RC24

Here's the RC24.

- Ambient light issue is fixed.
- Engine cover animation issue is fixed. (Would be good idea to run some test to be sure that nothing else gone broken. I didn't notice anythin in my usual set of tests)
- SketchPad::Text() CTD with "%" charter fixed. (Thanks to dbeachy1)
- SketchPad::Rectangle() pen width bug fixed.
- Splash screen issue should be fixed.

The ShuttleFleet payload bay animation issue still exists. Might be possible that the animation is created by dynamically modifying the vertices in a mesh group. If that's the case then there is unlikely any work-a-rounds to make it work in a graphics clients.

Last edited:

xmariox

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not good with shuttle fleet but excelent work for orbiter.

Thank you

Disconnect

Reaction score
I still getting those random ctd-s when the first 3d spacecraft mesh should appear.
Now i could start demo/docked at iss scenario on third try.