C++ Question Debugging an MFD with VC++2010express

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
I haven't really done any actual DLL work since I was on windows98, so lot's of rust have piled up in that area :)

I've just downloaded VC++2010express to see how it plays, and I can get it to do both vessels and mfds now, so the basics of all this stuff are back with me.

Now, while debugging MFDTemplate.dll I get the stuff I've put in the code-segment below:

I'm currently on win7-x64.

I've no experience with debugging like this before, so does it look alright?
The PDB's make sense, since I only have such a file for the MFDTemplate.dll, so I don't question the "Cannot find or open the PDB file".

This one I thought was a bit funny though:

'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\sahook.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file

I'm not sure why that would be invoked?

I also noticed that some of the graphics-drivers (I have an ATI Radeon HD5750) where loaded, then un-loaded, then loaded again etc.
Is that normal?

Anyway, the dll runs fine and Orbiter runs fine so in normal use it all appears to be good and ok. I was just basically wondering if the list I got here during the debug-session seems usual or un-usual.

Thanks alot for any insights :)

Code:
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\orbiter.exe', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ddraw.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\lpk.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\usp10.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dciman32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\setupapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cfgmgr32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\oleaut32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\devobj.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dwmapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dinput.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\winmm.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.7600.16661_none_420fe3fa2b8113bd\comctl32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shlwapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\shell32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4927_none_d08a205e442db5b5\msvcp80.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4927_none_d08a205e442db5b5\msvcr80.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msctf.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\uxtheme.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\hid.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wintrust.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\crypt32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msasn1.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\SiteAdvisor\sahook.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiu9pag.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiumdag.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiumdva.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\d3dim700.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x13d4) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiumdva.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiumdag.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiu9pag.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiu9pag.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiumdag.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\atiumdva.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x804) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xcb0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Startup\AtlantisConfig.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Startup\AtmConfig.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Startup\DGConfigurator.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\psapi.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Plugin\OrbiterSound.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dsound.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\powrprof.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Plugin\MFDTemplate.dll', Symbols loaded.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Sun.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Vsop87.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Mercury.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Venus.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Venus\atmosphere\VenusAtm2006.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Earth.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Earth\atmosphere\EarthAtmJ71G.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Moon.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Mars.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Mars\atmosphere\MarsAtm2006.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Phobos.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Deimos.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Jupiter.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Galsat.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Io.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Europa.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Ganymede.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Callisto.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Saturn.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Satsat.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Mimas.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Enceladus.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Tethys.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Dione.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Rhea.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Titan.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Iapetus.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Uranus.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Miranda.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Ariel.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Umbriel.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Titania.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Oberon.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Neptune.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\clbcatq.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MMDevAPI.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\propsys.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x86c) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\AudioSes.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\avrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Sun.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Mercury.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Venus\atmosphere\VenusAtm2006.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Venus.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Earth\atmosphere\EarthAtmJ71G.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Earth.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Moon.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Mars\atmosphere\MarsAtm2006.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Mars.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Phobos.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Deimos.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Jupiter.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Io.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Europa.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Ganymede.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Callisto.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Galsat.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Saturn.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Mimas.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Enceladus.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Tethys.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Dione.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Rhea.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Titan.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Iapetus.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Satsat.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Uranus.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Miranda.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Ariel.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Umbriel.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Titania.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Oberon.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Celbody\Neptune.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Vsop87.dll'
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x504) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\avrt.dll'
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xf54) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x720) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xee4) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x16b0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x1454) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Startup\AtlantisConfig.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Startup\AtmConfig.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Startup\DGConfigurator.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Plugin\OrbiterSound.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'D:\Orbiter\orbiter101016\Modules\Plugin\MFDTemplate.dll'
'orbiter.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100d.dll'
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xd78) has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x1614) has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x13e0) has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x1758) has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x98c) has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0xe50) has exited with code 1 (0x1).
The program '[3324] orbiter.exe: Native' has exited with code 1 (0x1).

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
This one I thought was a bit funny though:

I'm not sure why that would be invoked?
Antivirus hooks system calls. It's between processes and system and that's why it's listed in the loaded libraries. It's normal. If you looked at loaded modules in Process Explorer or probably too in the Windows 7 Task Manager, it would be listed in the loaded libraries for every process.

I also noticed that some of the graphics-drivers (I have an ATI Radeon HD5750) where loaded, then un-loaded, then loaded again etc.
Is that normal?
Some libraries are loaded when process is created and unloaded when terminated, other are loaded only when needed and then unloaded when they are no longer needed (by LoadLibrary/FreeLibrary calls).

Anyway, the dll runs fine and Orbiter runs fine so in normal use it all appears to be good and ok. I was just basically wondering if the list I got here during the debug-session seems usual or un-usual.
Nothing to worry if there are no problems with debugging your module. It's usual. It looks the same for debuggers from Visual Studio 2005 & 2008 too. :thumbup:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
An indispensable tool for debugging (as I keep saying) is also the dependency walker. It shows the dependency between modules and the symbols provided/requested by individual modules. This gives you a dependency hierarchy between modules, instead of just a linear list. (It's about equivalent to the Linux ldd and nm functions.)

It used to be bundled with visual studio, but I don't know if it still is, or if VS now provides other tools for this purpose.

The orbiter executable doesn't contain any dependency to virus checker dlls (mcafee or else). So unless the dependency comes from a 3rd party addon, this dependency must have been added by your virus checker. Either by actively modifying the exe file (which would be a bit nasty and intrusive) or dynamically every time the executable is loaded into memory.

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
I looked through the installation dir's of vc++2010express and there doesn't appear to be any tools included apart from a small one that can tell you what a numeric error code means in plain text.

The only Mcafee thing I've ever installed is their siteadvisor plugin for internet-explorer. I didn't think it was active outside the browser, but apparently it integrates into the entire windows system.

Thanks for the help :)

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I looked through the installation dir's of vc++2010express and there doesn't appear to be any tools included apart from a small one that can tell you what a numeric error code means in plain text.
Express versions of Visual Studio components contain a basic set of tools unfortunately, and lack some which aren't required to successfully compile the code. But if Dependency Walker was included, it probably wouldn't be integrated with the IDE, but only as an external tool. I don't remember whether I downloaded the Dependency Walker as stand-alone some time ago, but I have it in the menu of Process Explorer, so it was either attached or embedded in it, or Process Explorer has found it in my system.

The only Mcafee thing I've ever installed is their siteadvisor plugin for internet-explorer. I didn't think it was active outside the browser, but apparently it integrates into the entire windows system.
Then this is strange indeed. The DLL shouldn't be used by Orbiter or any other program not connecting to Internet via iexplore.

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
Yes, I was looking through the installation-folders for external tools and only found 1 that could run as a stand-alone program: "errlook.exe".

I downloaded dependency walker and checked my compiled version of MFDTemplate.dll.

I checked it in both the x86 and the x64 version of dependency walker and got 2 different results (as it says on dependency walker's website is normal)

I attached the results (the dwi file that can be loaded in dependency walker) if someone more able than myself wants to take a look.

Attachments

• MFDTemplate_DWx86andDWx64.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 1